U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 PM

128 posts, read 355,030 times

Advertisements

Tone509--Thanks for the clarification on the public schools. Researching school-by-school seems to be best.

ScranBarre---Ah, the Green Line goes through SE DC. Yeah, growing up way back when in Reston, I always heard stay out of SE DC and PG County. Funny, when I was 16, my bestfriend and I used to sneak out to a club in SE DC. They had an 18 and over night, but they didn't check your ID if you said that you were 18/under-21. What were we thinking?!?! I guess, I really needed to escape Reston...HAHA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM

427 posts, read 973,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm143 View Post
Tone509--Thanks for the clarification on the public schools. Researching school-by-school seems to be best.

ScranBarre---Ah, the Green Line goes through SE DC. Yeah, growing up way back when in Reston, I always heard stay out of SE DC and PG County. Funny, when I was 16, my bestfriend and I used to sneak out to a club in SE DC. They had an 18 and over night, but they didn't check your ID if you said that you were 18/under-21. What were we thinking?!?! I guess, I really needed to escape Reston...HAHA!
I used to sneak out to a club in SE when I was a kid, too. I started sneaking out to F Street instead (way back before Penn Quarter was cool -- in fact, I don't think it was even called Penn Quarter yet...) after passing a homicide investigation in progress outside the SE club. Scared the %*$# out of me! As well it should have. Wonder if it was the same place you used to go? I have no idea what it was called anymore.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,118,809 times
A few years ago it was called Nations. My college age son went there. I was scared to death for him. He said it's all fenced in now.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 PM

3,155 posts, read 8,095,633 times
Nation (no s) but yeah, that's the area right around the current stadium. Much nicer now obviously, but it was a pretty popular club when it existed. Even though that area was bad, I don't think it was ever as bad as SE across the Anacostia. I never went there but I heard about it a lot.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:23 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,120,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Del Ray is very ''in'' now and therefore very expensive. I'm not sure about the schools. The people I know who live there use private schools. I guess that might tell you something. If it's in the city of Alexandria then the schools are likely to be very bad. Ballston is filled with 20-somethings, singles love it. There are lots of restaurants and bars and a mall. Alexandria has terrible schools, the public high school is among the lowest ranked, but there are private schools available.
Reviving this because OP started a follow-up thread and I wanted to comment on the above.

The people I know who live in Del Ray and Rosemont send their children to Alexandria public schools. These parents are professionals, like lawyers, engineers, upper management of companies like Lockheed Martin.

Denton56 says the schools are "likely" to be terrible. No offense, but I have first-hand experience, and they are not. 10 or more years ago, most of the kids from upper-middle class homes in Alexandria did go to private school, and the performance of public schools suffered. In recent years, parents have become much more involved in the schools, the PTAs are thriving, and I am confident my children are getting good educations (of course, we supplement it at home as well). Many of Fairfax County schools do perform better, but Alexandria parents these days are putting their kids into, and their support behind, the public schools.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 01-09-2010 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

60 posts, read 161,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm143 View Post

Are you speaking of "Tracks" in SE? Ahhh the good ol' days!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 PM

YES! Tracks...haha.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 PM

239 posts, read 632,880 times
I moved to North Arlington this past summer and I like it. I live near the Lee/Harrison shopping center, less than a mile to the Westover shopping center. Also the Cherrydale section of Arlington which is cute, walkable, and a lot of privately owned, mom and pop-type stores. The schools here are Amazing. My daughter attends Yorktown HS which is, per US News and the such, rated as one of the top high schools in the nation and I absolutely love the school. I will assume that the younger schools must be just as good and from what the neighbors say they all love the elementary school.

We also somewhat border Falls Church which has schools that rate very well. The little downtown area is pretty good, we go to dinner there and if I need to go to a Staples or Whole Foods (neither are downtown Falls Church, both are up Leesburg Pike a few blocks) I go to Falls Church instead of downtown Arlington...easier and free to park! (I hate paying for parking while running errands!!)

I come from Southern CA (Orange County) which obviously does not have the huge cities like NYC or Chicago or anything, but still large and artsy, and I really like this area. It has the perfect combination of strip malls, huge retailers, and locally owned businesses. You just need to spend a couple of days driving around and pick your place. If you can rent for a bit and get to know the area, even better. I have not yet taken time to explore the smaller towns...when that happens my opinion may change...you just never know!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks treebw! Wonderful info! I'll check out rentals in your area, too.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 AM

15,912 posts, read 36,029,368 times
Bumping up this thread on the DC forum, but seems like it has a counterpart here on the NOVA forum as well. So, I'll bump it up here, and will probably fit even better over here.

On the other forum, someone mentioned that many of these quaint outer towns really only go 3 blocks (or feels like anyways) then just sprawl-ville.

Having been to FREDERICK MD...and read an article that mentioned 50 historical blocks...I quite liked the feel of that city a lot.

I haven't been to the other ones mentioned though - although I have been to FRONT ROYAL, VA - for comparison value anyways.

Just curious if any of the other cities are like Frederick or more like a Front Royal. I viewed LEESBURG on google maps, and seems like whatever is downtown is relatively small. Or is that because I am limited by google maps?

Purcelleville...I think I read somewhere that a lot of horse farms? Which doesn't particularly strike me as interesting (just my own lack of interests in that).

CUrious about Manassas though...

Basically just bumping on this thread for further discussion...and it is an interesting thread from a reader's perspective trying to get more info on an area from afar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia