U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 PM

12 posts, read 24,686 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to VA because of his job. He will be working in Springfield VA. I am looking for a single family home around $450,000. A community with a good school district is important. Also my husband doesn't want to commute more than 45 minutes. I would love to live in a neighborhood with a pool and a community center. It looks like everything is out of my price range. I was looking at a community in Fredericksburg. I have a feeling that the commute is too far. I would appreciate any suggestions. I know nothing about the area and need help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,393,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzygrl View Post
My husband and I are moving to VA because of his job. He will be working in Springfield VA. I am looking for a single family home around $450,000. A community with a good school district is important. Also my husband doesn't want to commute more than 45 minutes. I would love to live in a neighborhood with a pool and a community center. It looks like everything is out of my price range. I was looking at a community in Fredericksburg. I have a feeling that the commute is too far. I would appreciate any suggestions. I know nothing about the area and need help!
Neighborhood pools, community centers, and county rec centers in Northern Virginia are about like mashed potatoes over at the diner -- they come with everything. But $450K is not likely to get you a decent detached SFH anywhere in the area, even with the lull in the market. Once you get over $500K, there are options to look at, but beneath that, you are more than likely looking at townhouses, some of which are very nice indeed, if that's a style of living that suits you.

Schools are at least very good everywhere, and most are better than that. You can start stretching the idea of a 45-minute door-to-door commute once you get beyond ten miles from where you work. It pays to plan out the commute very carefully before you commit to a place. A nice house and a good job with a twice-a-day nightmare in between them is something that happens to a lot of people who don't do that planning...

Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,667,716 times
Driving from Fredericksburg to Springfiled everyday in rush hour would be horrible! Don't do that to your husband.

as saganista said... $450 won't get you a SFH in a great area. There are loads of TH though. If you can push it up to 500k then your options open up in Springfield, Burke, Annandale even parts of Alexandria. But that will get you an older smaller home that probably needs some updating. Fairfax is also an option.

If you could push out to chantilly you could get more house for your money but a longer commute... I like the Fairfax county pky (71000) it seems to flow pretty good even though it has lights. But I don't drive it everyday so I can't tell you what the commute would be.

It's not an easy decesion to make...TH closer in...SFH with a longer commute. We opted for the longer commute (but we knew it was for only 2 years..and 6mo he was out of the country) we are nearing the end and he has grown very weary of the 60min+ commute.

EDIT.... I found a house in Greenbriar in Fairfax for 445K. We looked in that neighborhood. It's nice and has a community pool. realtor.com MLS ID# Moderator cut: removed cute cape.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:31 AM

19 posts, read 143,787 times
Fredericksburg to Springfield is a 40 mile commute. Your husband will hate his life because he would be sitting in gridlock for hours.
If you are looking for nicer communities, and only have about 500k, stear clear of Alexandria and Annandale (you have to be rich to live outside of the ghetto). You might want to look at Burke (Fairfax County), Fairfax City Area, or Lorton. There are decent townhomes just under 500k and those communties are within 15 miles of Springfield, are well wooded and have lower crime than living in Alexandria. Centreville and Chantilly are good choices because the commute to Springfield down the Fairfax County Parkway would be a reverse commute for your husband. Living north of where you work is a great thing in this area. The Fairfax County parkway is very heavy going north in the morning and south in the afternoon. If you bought in Centreville (decent) or Chantilly (better) or Fairfax City (best) his commute would be going against traffic. Stay as far away from the 95 corridor as you can. The traffic is a nightmare along the 95 corridor.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:38 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,568,964 times
I know that everyone is saying stay away from Fredericksburg, and because you brought it up, what community did you find that you were interested in? We moved to Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania County in the fall of 2003, and my husband has been commuting. It is hard, definitely, but it just depends what you, and particularly your husband, want to do. In Fredericksburg/Spotsy., planned communities are on the rise. Some of the older ones are Fox Point, Lee's Hill, and Kingswood (all have pools to my knowledge). Then you have Salem Fields which is almost built out. Newer ones still being developed and built in are Lee's Parke, Breckenridge and Idlewild. Plus the builders are offering fabulous deals to lower their inventory. Good luck, and again, let me know if you have any questions on a specific community.

Last edited by Yac; 05-04-2007 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: link to a commercial site removed, no advertising allowed.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,069 times
[quote=Jazzygrl;655420]My husband and I are moving to VA because of his job. He will be working in Springfield VA. I am looking for a single family home around $450,000. A community with a good school district is important. Also my husband doesn't want to commute more than 45 minutes. I would love to live in a neighborhood with a pool and a community center. It looks like everything is out of my price range. I was looking at a community in Fredericksburg. I have a feeling that the commute is too far. I would appreciate any suggestions. I know nothing about the area and need help![/QUOTE

Hi

Have you moved yet? I have a few thoughts if you are still in need of a place to live and commuting options

bgsje0797@yahoo.com

Old 07-01-2007, 05:41 PM

12 posts, read 35,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAnative View Post
Fredericksburg to Springfield is a 40 mile commute. Your husband will hate his life because he would be sitting in gridlock for hours.
If you are looking for nicer communities, and only have about 500k, stear clear of Alexandria and Annandale (you have to be rich to live outside of the ghetto). You might want to look at Burke (Fairfax County), Fairfax City Area, or Lorton. There are decent townhomes just under 500k and those communties are within 15 miles of Springfield, are well wooded and have lower crime than living in Alexandria. Centreville and Chantilly are good choices because the commute to Springfield down the Fairfax County Parkway would be a reverse commute for your husband. Living north of where you work is a great thing in this area. The Fairfax County parkway is very heavy going north in the morning and south in the afternoon. If you bought in Centreville (decent) or Chantilly (better) or Fairfax City (best) his commute would be going against traffic. Stay as far away from the 95 corridor as you can. The traffic is a nightmare along the 95 corridor.
Hello, Novanative. Our situation is similar and we were looking to spend about $500K in Alexandria and we have found SFH homes in that price range. However, since we do not currently live in Nova, it is difficult to determine whether or not they are in a crime-ridden area. Can you please recommend any zip codes we should stay away from? Thanks for your help

Old 07-01-2007, 09:43 PM

37 posts, read 140,098 times
Most of Alexandria is nice, as is Springfield. Most of Fairfax County is relatively safe and the schools are excellent. I found some houses on Realtor.com in your price range in both places. Have your realtor tell you what schools they feed into, and then go to the Fairfax County Public Schools website and look at their test scores online.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:10 PM

12 posts, read 35,413 times
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or