Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
From Woodbridge to DC it's about an 1.5 hrs door too door on a good day. It will be a nightmare once your daughter is in elementary school unless you and wifey can work out a good schedule.

I've lived in Woodbridge for 15 years and have never had a regular commute time of 1.5 hours each way. Certainly, if I was trying to work at a "nice" hour like 8:30 a.m. that might be the case. As it stands now, my commute is about 40 minutes as a single rider (very early hours), it runs about 50-60 minutes if I work a bit of a later schedule. Not saying that people don't have a 1.5 hour commute, just realize that many of us don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 12:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
I think we should all meet at a coffee shop to prove how friendly we are. Maybe you guys can give tips on what we "complainers" are doing wrong.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I think we should all meet at a coffee shop to prove how friendly we are. Maybe you guys can give tips on what we "complainers" are doing wrong.
Agreed. I was maligned on this forum in a thread a couple of months back for being "insensitive towards introverts," but it's not like I'm begging you to be receptive of my advances of striking up a random conversation about the weather or the Redskins. I'm just trying to be polite. If you're too "busy" to say "Hi" back to someone when you pass them on the neighborhood sidewalk or see them in the elevator of your office building, then you're just a snob---I don't care what people say. People here aren't that "busy" either. Many people here work for the Fed and have 40-hour work-weeks. Boo hoo!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,575 times
Claims of being busy and claims of being an introvert are two *totally* different things. I'm not particularly busy, but I am an introvert, so I never strike up conversations with strangers.

Strangers talk to me a lot, though. I don't know why. And I do respond, because to do otherwise would be rude, even if in my head I'd rather not chat.

Carrying a baby around helps a lot, people love that. Maybe y'all need babies to rent.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katarinakeren View Post
um, YEAH they are!!! they almost never make eye contact, and if they do, it's usually a come-on. glad it's not like that here!!!
Woodbridge must be unusually friendly for the area.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
I've lived in Woodbridge and surrounding area since 1989. People here do acknowledge each other when you pass on the streets. It may be just a simple hello and/or a nod, but it's something. You'd be suprised what reaction a smile will get you. If someone doesn't reciprocate, who cares? There are plenty of things to worry about it than someone being grumpy - lol

I've walked the streets of LA, NY and Chicago and most people don't make eye contact. Those are big cities so people don't have the time to acknowledge everyone they pass so it isn't a big deal to me.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
I have to say for one who is new to the area and right now staying in Arlington, the further out you go the friendlier people are. When we went out to Woodbridge we noticed the people were friendly, and then we went to Stafford and Fredricksburg and people were even friendlier. And when I say friendly they acknowledged your exisitence with a nod or smile.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM

116 posts, read 446,556 times
Rose tinted glasses.

You'll learn the ugly truth soon enough.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:35 PM

34 posts, read 104,992 times
I'm also looking to move to Woodbridge within a year. Therefore I would like to know from the original poster what type of home and approximately cost. I know prices have changed and will continue, but I'm curious.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 AM

49 posts, read 123,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT660 View Post
I'm also looking to move to Woodbridge within a year. Therefore I would like to know from the original poster what type of home and approximately cost. I know prices have changed and will continue, but I'm curious.
We ended up buying in Manassas, several acres of land included, for app. $350,000. Stand alone house, 3 beds and 2.5 baths and a finished basement. Looks like prices for homes are starting to rise again though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia