U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:17 PM

437 posts, read 560,460 times
To completely clarify the Alexandria/Fairfax schools issue completely: There is the City of Alexandria (which contains Old Town) and there there is a section of Fairfax County for which postal addresses are also "Alexandria, VA". Fairfax County and Alexandria City are completely different municipalities with no crossover as far as schools. If you are in a home in Fairfax County with an "Alexandria" address, you are not going to be within what's considered walking distance to Old Town. You will be in suburbia like a lot of the rest of Fairfax County and you get Fairfax County schools. If you choose to live in Alexandria City (read: in Old Town), you go to TC Williams H.S. like everyone else in Alexandria City. Of course, if the school is that important, there are plenty of good private schools around and you can live wherever you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM

154 posts, read 265,304 times
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I believe that the entire town of Vienna is 22180, but know for a fact that not all of 22180 is in the Town of Vienna. The easiest way to know that an address is in the Town of Vienna is to confirm that the street name is accompanied by NW, NE, SE or SW (as in north or south of Maple Avenue and east or west of Center Street).

Also - Here is the town map:

http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Info/tovmap.pdf (broken link)
Thanks, JEB77. I will definitely be checking that link out. We think we found our perfect TH from online but I still don't know where it's physically located. We don't have a lot of time to look either so I think your map and other posters' information will help us out greatly.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:25 PM

90 posts, read 144,035 times
22315 is Alexandria - Fairfax County. The area is called Kingstowne and there are a few other other places there such as Island Creek (very nice) and Franconia. About 3 or 4 high schools in the Fairfax County umbrella and many more elementary schools. Island Creek community has an elementary school which is right there within walking distance of many of the homes in that community. The Kingstowne area is close to everything! 5 min. or less from Rt 1, 395, 95, 495 and 7100 (Franconia-Springfield Parkway). The Springfield Mall is going to be rebuilt and Wegman's will be up in a little over a year right down the street from Island Creek. Check it out.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:26 PM

5,074 posts, read 2,930,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To my knowledge, probably the only way a City of Alexandria student can get into a Fairfax County public school is if s/he qualifies for Thomas Jefferson ("TJ") High School. And that, as you likely know, is literally another topic (or two!).

Those schools with an Alexandria address (including TJ) are actually in the unincorporated section that is part of Fairfax County.
Alexandria City students cannot attend Thomas Jefferson (at least for now). ACPS does not participate in TJ because they feel it would be "brain drain" away from TC Williams.

The OP indicated that "being stuck in the suburbs" wasn't what they wanted. The parts of Fairfax County that have an Alexandria postal address are not urban communities at all. They are suburbs and strip malls. There are no places like towns in the vein of Falls Church and, I suppose, Vienna (although Vienna just seems like a stretch of 123 to me).

Kingstowne's shopping center does have some events in a public-square type setting and I guess they try to make a community out of it, but I haven't spent much time there to get much of an opinion.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM

Smile To Sum it up...FCPS = Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
To completely clarify the Alexandria/Fairfax schools issue completely: There is the City of Alexandria (which contains Old Town) and there there is a section of Fairfax County for which postal addresses are also "Alexandria, VA". Fairfax County and Alexandria City are completely different municipalities with no crossover as far as schools. If you are in a home in Fairfax County with an "Alexandria" address, you are not going to be within what's considered walking distance to Old Town. You will be in suburbia like a lot of the rest of Fairfax County and you get Fairfax County schools. If you choose to live in Alexandria City (read: in Old Town), you go to TC Williams H.S. like everyone else in Alexandria City. Of course, if the school is that important, there are plenty of good private schools around and you can live wherever you want!
So basically if you are in the FCPS area, then you are in suburbia...lol. That's cool for us. I like the city but being about half an hour away is better than what I am dealing with now...lol. Plus, I think there are a lot of things to do in almost every city in that area which is why I love NOVA. It is very unique to what I have seen in other places that I have lived where almost every city has their own mall, shopping, nightlife, etc. It really opens up the variety of things to do on a weekend, whether you are with your significant other, children and/or friends.

My husband is considering private schools. Our oldest was in private school last year because we couldn't find a good pre-K program. But the tuition was just too much and I felt like he could get a great education from public school if we just found the right one. He is now in an awesome public school and excelling. I think it always come down to what people really want. Safe neighborhoods throughout, good schools, the city, etc. That is one reason why it is difficult to decide where to move b/c there are a lot of good choices but it's actually quite easy to narrow the choices down if someone knows exactly what they want.

Thanks for the advice!

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Smile Sounds like My Nirvana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarymovingtoRioRico View Post
22315 is Alexandria - Fairfax County. The area is called Kingstowne and there are a few other other places there such as Island Creek (very nice) and Franconia. About 3 or 4 high schools in the Fairfax County umbrella and many more elementary schools. Island Creek community has an elementary school which is right there within walking distance of many of the homes in that community. The Kingstowne area is close to everything! 5 min. or less from Rt 1, 395, 95, 495 and 7100 (Franconia-Springfield Parkway). The Springfield Mall is going to be rebuilt and Wegman's will be up in a little over a year right down the street from Island Creek. Check it out.
Wow! Sounds like my Nirvana. I'll keep this in mind as I continue searching. Thanks!

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,510,981 times
If your son is planning to attend college in the UK, you may already know about the British School in DC, but just in case: The British School of Washington

Hefty tuition and no financial aid (because many folks from overseas get tuition paid by their employer), but worth considering if you have the means.

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:57 PM

7,453 posts, read 10,474,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Alexandria City students cannot attend Thomas Jefferson (at least for now). ACPS does not participate in TJ because they feel it would be "brain drain" away from TC Williams.

The OP indicated that "being stuck in the suburbs" wasn't what they wanted. The parts of Fairfax County that have an Alexandria postal address are not urban communities at all. They are suburbs and strip malls. There are no places like towns in the vein of Falls Church and, I suppose, Vienna (although Vienna just seems like a stretch of 123 to me).

Kingstowne's shopping center does have some events in a public-square type setting and I guess they try to make a community out of it, but I haven't spent much time there to get much of an opinion.
I apparently misspoke. Thanks for that clarification.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Unread 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM

5,396 posts, read 4,947,985 times
Quote:
I believe that the entire town of Vienna is 22180, but know for a fact that not all of 22180 is in the Town of Vienna. The easiest way to know that an address is in the Town of Vienna is to confirm that the street name is accompanied by NW, NE, SE or SW (as in north or south of Maple Avenue and east or west of Center Street).

Also - Here is the town map:

http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Info/tovmap.pdf (broken link)
I know of one anomoly who lives within the Town limits and pays Town taxes but actually has a 22181 zip code. Her backyard abuts Town property but her address is not part of the Town with the typical directional zipcode. I don't know if there are other anomolies like that which is while I said the Town is almost exclusively within 22180.

Unread 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM

25,470 posts, read 42,487,300 times
Quote:
There are also a fair number of students in 22182 (out toward Reston) who are assigned to South Lakes and a significantly smaller number who live in a few neighborhoods off of Route 7 and have Vienna mailing addresses who are assigned to Langley.
It's amazing how far out the Vienna mailing address extends. I commute to work each morning down Route 606 through Reston en route to Route 7, and if you make a right onto Hunter's Mill Road you're pretty much immediately into the Vienna zip code. I can walk to the border! I hadn't realized that Vienna and Reston bordered each other until recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia