Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 37,795 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. My husband's job pretty much dictates that we be within the Fairfax School system, no 100% but pretty much. That's why we aren't looking at Arlington or Maryland even though I think everyone is right that those areas might appeal more to us. The IB requirement is because my oldest child is planning on applying to colleges in England and it will be much easier for him to be considered with that qualification than with even a good AP school diploma. We are honing in on Vienna at the moment because there seem to be some more interesting newly built houses within walking distance of at least some kind of centre but I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts about this. I didn't actually get to see Vienna during my visit to NoVa so I'm only going by GoogleMaps! Thanks for all your comments and advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 AM

154 posts, read 503,974 times
Smile Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviez View Post
Hi all.
I've posted here before but I have now actually visited the area and have a better idea of what we're looking at. I was so excited to be moving near a real city (DC) but now feel I will be stuck in the burbs/subdivisions after all. We visited two great schools in FC, either would be great and probably there are others (looking at IB schools), but the neighbourhoods seem anonymous and un-urban and not what I would like for living day to day. I had hoped to find somewhere we could walk to a cafe or store, plus be able to use public transport into DC especially for my teens who are spreading their wings. Am I missing something or is it just impossible to find a mix of these things in Fairfax County. Alex Old Town or Arlington are more our style, and have that convenience to fun downtown areas as well as DC, but aren't in FCPS. I don't care about owning land but do want a nice house, or one I can make nice, somewhere with LIFE!... HELP!
I have been living in the middle of nowhere for years now due to the Army and I am excited too b/c my hubby's finally getting out and I can head back to a real city. I SO feel your pain tho b/c I want to keep my kids in Fairfax Co. schools but I want to be in the city.

We were looking at Alexandria too! lol. Then someone clued me in that there aren't Fairfax Co. schools in Alexandria but some Fairfax county schools have an Alexandria address.

I am not there yet so I can't figure out if that little piece of information can get you into Alexandria but still allow your children to attend Fairfax Co. schools.

My best friend lived in Fairfax and her neighborhood was a bit surburban. It was a TH complex but there were highrises nearby but I don't know about cafes and stores, etc. I SO know what you are wishing for b/c I would love to live in a DC condo and be near everything right outside my door! lol.

But I think if you can't find that then the next closest thing is to live near the mall and shopping so you still kind of feel like you are in the city.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll be in Vienna in surburbia...lol. But at least I'll be closer to DC and other things than I was before. So we're still excited to move from GA to NOVA.

Good luck on your search! Keep us posted.

Last edited by NOVAChick; 10-01-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. My husband's job pretty much dictates that we be within the Fairfax School system, no 100% but pretty much. That's why we aren't looking at Arlington or Maryland even though I think everyone is right that those areas might appeal more to us. The IB requirement is because my oldest child is planning on applying to colleges in England and it will be much easier for him to be considered with that qualification than with even a good AP school diploma. We are honing in on Vienna at the moment because there seem to be some more interesting newly built houses within walking distance of at least some kind of centre but I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts about this. I didn't actually get to see Vienna during my visit to NoVa so I'm only going by GoogleMaps! Thanks for all your comments and advice
It sounds from your description like you'd be looking in the Town of Vienna; if so, you'd be in the Madison HS district. Madison is an AP school, but in recent years there have typically been about an equal number of students assigned to Madison who pupil place to Marshall, the nearest IB school, and students assigned to Marshall who pupil place to Madison. I would expect that you could probably find other parents with whom to car pool.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Smile Great minds think alike...lol!

Quote:
I read your initial post and responded to it b/c it sounded just like me before I saw this one. It's so funny that you are considering Vienna. We finally decided on Vienna after about 2 days of searching. I like Vienna b/c the metro is right there, it's closer to DC but still allows my kids to go to FCPS.

I hope you find what you are looking for! There is nothing worse than moving somewhere and hating it. This has been our case twice. Not so much b/c of the area but the conditions have not been to my liking.

This board has helped me a lot in finding where I want to live. The school system kind of led our search but we definitely wanted to stay near certain cities in NOVA and DC for jobs.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy living in NOVA!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:27 AM

Smile Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It sounds from your description like you'd be looking in the Town of Vienna; if so, you'd be in the Madison HS district. Madison is an AP school, but in recent years there have typically been about an equal number of students assigned to Madison who pupil place to Marshall, the nearest IB school, and students assigned to Marshall who pupil place to Madison. I would expect that you could probably find other parents with whom to car pool.
Great info, JEB77. Do you know which zipcodes would be under the Town of Vienna? I am probably going to look them up to see if some of the THs that we are looking at are in the Town of Vienna. But it always helps to get a response from a local.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
We were looking at Alexandria too! lol. Then someone clued me in that there aren't Fairfax Co. schools in Alexandria but some Fairfax county schools have an Alexandria address.

I am not there yet so I can't figure out if that little piece of information can get you into Alexandria but still allow your children to attend Fairfax Co. schools.
To my knowledge, probably the only way a City of Alexandria student can get into a Fairfax County public school is if s/he qualifies for Thomas Jefferson ("TJ") High School. And that, as you likely know, is literally another topic (or two!).

Those schools with an Alexandria address (including TJ) are actually in the unincorporated section that is part of Fairfax County.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:40 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
The Town of Vienna is almost exclusively in zipcode 22180. But 22180 includes other places besides the Town of Vienna (such as parts of Dunn Loring Woods and homes just outside the Town limits). Other Vienna zipcodes outside the Town limits are 22181 and 22182. Everyone in the Town of Vienna feeds into Madison High School. People outside the Town limits might feed into Madison, McLean, Marshall, Oakton, and possibly others. I think JEB77 knows this info.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 AM

Smile Woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The Town of Vienna is almost exclusively in zipcode 22180. But 22180 includes other places besides the Town of Vienna (such as parts of Dunn Loring Woods and homes just outside the Town limits). Other Vienna zipcodes outside the Town limits are 22181 and 22182. Everyone in the Town of Vienna feeds into Madison High School. People outside the Town limits might feed into Madison, McLean, Marshall, Oakton, and possibly others. I think JEB77 knows this info.
Thanks for the info.!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
Great info, JEB77. Do you know which zipcodes would be under the Town of Vienna? I am probably going to look them up to see if some of the THs that we are looking at are in the Town of Vienna. But it always helps to get a response from a local.

Thanks!
I believe that the entire town of Vienna is 22180, but know for a fact that not all of 22180 is in the Town of Vienna. The easiest way to know that an address is in the Town of Vienna is to confirm that the street name is accompanied by NW, NE, SE or SW (as in north or south of Maple Avenue and east or west of Center Street).

Also - Here is the town map:

http://www.viennava.gov/Town_Info/tovmap.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by JD984; 10-01-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
There are also a fair number of students in 22182 (out toward Reston) who are assigned to South Lakes and a significantly smaller number who live in a few neighborhoods off of Route 7 and have Vienna mailing addresses who are assigned to Langley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia