U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 PM

56 posts, read 128,228 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know the word "affordable" is relative, but here is my situation: We are moving from Salt Lake City, Utah to the DC area next month for my husband's job. He will be working downtown near the White House. I stay home with our daughter. We are definitely selling one of our two cars before we move but we wonder if it would be possible to sell both and just use public transit and Zip Cars. Does anyone else do this?

We are pretty sure we want to live in NOVA rather than Maryland. Does anyone know of specific apartments within walking distance of a metro station? We need a relatively safe area and we really don't have a TON of money for rent. $1500 - $1600 is probably about it. If you think I'm ridiculous for thinking I can find an apartment for that price, no need to say it condesdendingly. Just be nice.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:07 PM

167 posts, read 232,092 times
You might get different responses from both sides of the track here...I couldn't find 1500 near a metro line for a 1BR in Arlington, (looked mostly on Craigslist, and apartment specific sites- maybe you'll have better luck with a realtor/agency type of place?). Since I'm assuming, you're looking for a 2 bedroom, I don't really like your chances for that type of money near any metro.

Also...you're gonna want a car if you have a little one. Emergencies, trips to the grocery store, etc a car is just easier to have. This also would allow you guys to live further out and allow your husband more options to get to work, (VRE, Park and Ride, etc...), albeit the trade off is a longer commute, but you will also get to the apartments that are in your price range

The big myth of moving here is you're able to get around without a car...its simply not true. Especially for a family. I'm a single guy and couldn't fathom not having wheels to get around this place...

Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM

722 posts, read 1,230,693 times
When we moved here last year, we rented a 2BR next to Vienna Metro for about $1800. We did fine with one car (we had a toddler and I was staying at home, too) but we couldn't have done it with no car. Or we could have, but I would have gone utterly insane.

We did find a 2BR apartment in North Arlington for $1600ish, on Craigslist, but it had no laundry and that was a dealbreaker for me. Still, if you're willing to be flexible on points like that, you might be able to find something.

Depending on where your husband works exactly, Metrobus might be a good option. There are parts of Alexandria that aren't quite as expensive as the Orange Line (Arlington -> Fairfax) but don't have easy access to the train. But if a nearby bus gets your husband to work, that's what matters.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:22 PM

284 posts, read 558,615 times
Since schools aren't an issue (yet) you might have some luck near the Huntington metro station (22303). The area's not the best, but "relatively safe".

Definitely keep a car. The one carless person (who's not elderly) I know lives in DC, a couple blocks from his office, a couple blocks from a metro, but still bums rides for shopping trips, etc.

And, as a previous poster mentioned, don't overlook metroBUS, especially the express lines. Metro - Home page

Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,170,395 times
Unfortunately your price range is a little low for a two bedroom that is walking distance to the metro. There are deals to be found for sure, but for the most part you'll need to look for something that is on a good bus line to the metro versus walking to the metro. I would keep at least one car. Let him take the train to work and you keep the car for errands and such. He could catch the bus to the metro or you could give him a ride to the metro station every morning. The further out you choose to live the cheaper and newer the place is likely to be. I really like Vienna at the end of the orange line but the commute might be a 40 minute ride into the city. Oakton and Fairfax both have bus lines that go straight to the metro station if he does that then it'd be about an hour.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:54 PM

7,408 posts, read 9,401,266 times
It is possible. I know one apartment complex that fits what you want. The problem is that you have to qualify under their income limitations to rent there.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM

26,425 posts, read 46,662,052 times
The moment someone locates an affordable Metro-accessible neighborhood where one could easily eschew their vehicle, please let me know!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM

57 posts, read 100,501 times
I lived in Belle Haven towers next to the Huntington metro for 2 years. It's relatively safe, but the area is a bit of a blight. The apartments are "tower" style. I've heard complaints about roaches, but never saw one in my unit in the 2 years I was there.

It's not a bad place for the cost. Four years ago, I paid $950-$1000/month for an efficiency (utilities included). That was about as low as you could go back then without living in an outright DC ghetto. The metro is about a block away; you hike through a path in a baseball field and then through the metro parking lot. Last time I visited, there was a new apartment complex being built next to the Huntington Metro. You may want to check that out as well.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:16 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,959,744 times
If Metrobus is an option, you could consider the Shirlington/Fairlington area, especially because schools are not an issue for your family. Not sure what rentals run there, but perhaps someone else is more familiar with the rental market.
Walking distance to Metro in a safe family neighborhood for under $1600 is a tall order.

The Virginia Railway Expresss (VRE) trains are another option. My friend has been commuting for years from her Burke (22015) home to her office downtown near the White House. There are townhouse rentals in 22015 in your price range. My friend lives in a neighborhood called Burke Station Square, which is walking distance to the Rolling Road VRE station. If you could possibly keep both cars, that would give you considerably more housing choices. There seems to be plenty of parking at the VRE station.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM

518 posts, read 865,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
If Metrobus is an option, you could consider the Shirlington/Fairlington area, especially because schools are not an issue for your family. Not sure what rentals run there, but perhaps someone else is more familiar with the rental market.
Walking distance to Metro in a safe family neighborhood for under $1600 is a tall order.
Shirlington Village has a new, very convenient bus transportation facility, and transportation to metrorail should not be difficult.

http://www.commuterpage.com/ART/shirlingtonstation.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia