U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,368,447 times

Advertisements

Okay I know this is way before Halloween.. Not to mention Christmas!! But where, in your opinion, are the best neighborhoods to check out for Halloween/Christmas decorations?

Back in CA, there was this one spectacular house in our neighborhood that really went overboard with Halloween. I mean, they had everything! That house was awesome.. Really scary and what made it better was the fact that the owners were in the middle of renovating the whole house so it looked spooky even without the decorations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:56 PM

696 posts, read 1,498,507 times
I'm of absolutely no help, but wanted to let you know that it's not too early to ask this question IMO. I was actually thinking about this the other day as I saw an ad on TV for a Christmas program that goes on sale in just 5 days. Having just moved here from WA state this summer, I'm excited to experience the holidays in the other Washington (and Virginia).

Old 09-20-2009, 05:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,962,194 times
For Christmas:

The Bishop's House on North Portal Drive west of 16th St. in Washington is not to be missed. Not far away is the Mormon temple that puts on an amazing Christmas light display.

Several parks have drive-through displays. Among them are Seneca Creek State Park, Watkins Regional Park, and Brookside Gardens.

As well, in Alexandria, VA and Baltimore, MD there are lighted boat parades that can be pretty neat.

Within DC, there's always the National Christmas Tree and Pageant of Peace by the White House. The Capitol decorates a tree on the west side. As well, Union Station is always decked out with large wreathes outside and an phenomenal model train inside.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,368,447 times
Thanks for the tips!! Didn't even think about going to DC but we'll take a drive there this year.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 AM

230 posts, read 931,377 times
Hi EuroExpat,

As for Halloween displays have you checked out the "Holtorf Pumpkin Carving Association" display ? They have around 200 carved pumpkins, most of which are amazing works of art. We went last year and were amazed at what they had done to the humble pumpkin! No boring jack o lanterns here. Did have to line up for about 30-45mins to get in but well worth it. It's at a private home set up in their driveway. Address is 2328 Trott Ave, Vienna. Think it's only Friday & Sat nights but not sure on that.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 AM

8,016 posts, read 7,298,099 times
Manassas Bull Run Park christmas lights display

Welcome to Bull Run Festival of Lights

Tackiest Christmas Lights in Fairfax Co

Holly's Tacky Christmas Lights of Fairfax, Virginia

Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,571 times
Default Best Halloween display in Alexandria

In my opinion, the best Halloween display in Alexandria, VA, is 5926 Edgehill Drive and the house to the left of it

Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 7,544 times
There is a house adjacent to the end of Boothe Drive in Burke, VA (near railroad station) that is wildly decorated every Christmas and the owner hands out candy canes to children sometimes.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times
The weather guy on one of the tv news stations has been doing his forecasts from various neighborhoods. The other day they showed a neighborhood in Alexandria with incredible (especially this one house that even has it's own radio broadcast). Does anyone know which street this is on? I'd love to drive over and check it out.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 PM

100 posts, read 188,226 times
Caladium, I didn't see the segment you're talking about, but the house at 2507 Fairview Dr., off Rt. 1 near the Beacon shopping center, has the most extraordinary Christmas display I've ever seen. Dozens of inflatables, music, animatronic Santas, a window display, toys and stuffed animals on the porch, lights galore. It is absolutely worth seeing. You can walk through the yard and up onto the porch--when we were there, the owner of the house was outside, encouraging people to check out the window display!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia