U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 67,527 times
Default State Inspection Question - VA

Last Saturday I went to get my emission and safety inspection checks done. First the Emission check done successfully and then the safety inspection has failed due to these reasons.

1) Head lights got foggy, has to be cleaned
2) Driver's side window glass is not going up, needs to be up
3) back number plate lights needs to be on.

4) breaks to be changed (this is not mandatory, as he said)

The above 1,2, and 3 should be changed in order to get the safety check done. He(maybe an inspector) put a sticker saying failed and need to get done in 2 weeks.

Before I leave, he told that they can do all these sort of works and also said the estimation cost too. It was horrible when I listened the estimation cost. For head light cleaning he estimated 140$. I told him that I'll come on Monday to fix all these.

Actually I can't effort all these for my old car. Yesterday I got a liquid for headlight cleaner for 5$ and I did it myself and they are very clean than before. Now I need to change the side window switch to get up the glass. If I done these I almost done.

Now I have a question, I told to that inspector that I'll come to him and getting all fixed from him. I almost done myself, if I go to test again I think he definitely tell that needs to change the break pads also.

If I failed from an inspector, do I have to go with him again or I can go to any other inspector? My records will be in the database for all inspectors? I don't know whom(inspector) to believe in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,676,297 times
You don't have to go to the same inspector again to get it re-inspected. Also I think it's only $1 for re-inspection.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,350,431 times
You have to go to the same inspection station. There might be a different inspector depending on time of day you go, but it still has to be the same gas station or wherever you went the first time.

You're worried he will fail you on brakes now because you didn't use him for the repairs? I wouldn't worry about it. I'd worry about the brakes instead and make sure they aren't a hazard (maybe get another mechanic for second opinion, if you can't judge them). Inspection stations always (in my experience) offer to do the work in case of a failed inspection, and I've always done it myself or had it done by a different mechanic. No problems with going back for the re-inspection.

Fogged headlights usually result from water getting into the lens assembly (or yellowed/scratched lenses from age). I can't tell from your post what you did, but if it was just wiping and cleaning the outside, that might not fix it.

He might have told you the brakes were thin but not to the point of failing inspection. But you want to avoid changing them? It is mandatory to have working brakes, so if the pads are nearing end of life but can get past inspection, you really ought to have them changed before a year goes by for the next inspection.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 67,527 times
He told me that not worry about the breakes ( 2 breaks only), but for future I have to change.
Anyway I'm gonna sell this vehicle in a 4 to 5 months, so I can't effort on this.

for yellowed light, I have to clean inside also? but when I cleaned outside, its almost cleared.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
You don't have to go to the same inspector again to get it re-inspected. Also I think it's only $1 for re-inspection.
I was always told by the inspector (on the 2 or 3 times I had a car fail) that I had to bring it back to the same place and then pay the $1 or whatever it is for the re-inspection.

46.2-1158. Frequency of inspection; scope of inspection.
Motor vehicles, trailers, and semitrailers required to be inspected pursuant to the provisions of 46.2-1157 shall be reinspected within twelve months of the month of the first inspection and at least once every twelve months thereafter.
Each inspection shall be a complete inspection. A reinspection of a rejected vehicle by the same station during the period of validity of the rejection sticker on such vehicle, however, need only include an inspection of the item or items previously found defective unless there is found an obvious defect that would warrant further rejection of the vehicle.
A rejection sticker shall be valid for fifteen calendar days beyond the day of issuance. A complete inspection shall be performed on any vehicle bearing an expired rejection sticker.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkuchipudi View Post
He told me that not worry about the breakes ( 2 breaks only), but for future I have to change.
Anyway I'm gonna sell this vehicle in a 4 to 5 months, so I can't effort on this.

for yellowed light, I have to clean inside also? but when I cleaned outside, its almost cleared.
Well, if the light is clear, then it should pass. The main thing is, I don't think you need to worry about the inspector doing something unfair to you just because you fixed it yourself.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM

72 posts, read 164,925 times
It is typical for inspectors in this area to offer their services to replace small and large items.

IE - $15 to replace a $2 light bulb.

Do the job yourself and get it reinspeccted.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:26 PM

2,439 posts, read 3,676,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I was always told by the inspector (on the 2 or 3 times I had a car fail) that I had to bring it back to the same place and then pay the $1 or whatever it is for the re-inspection.

Motor vehicles, trailers, and semitrailers required to be inspected pursuant to the provisions of 46.2-1157 shall be reinspected within twelve months of the month of the first inspection and at least once every twelve months thereafter.
Each inspection shall be a complete inspection. A reinspection of a rejected vehicle by the same station during the period of validity of the rejection sticker on such vehicle, however, need only include an inspection of the item or items previously found defective unless there is found an obvious defect that would warrant further rejection of the vehicle.
A rejection sticker shall be valid for fifteen calendar days beyond the day of issuance. A complete inspection shall be performed on any vehicle bearing an expired rejection sticker.
Didn't stop that service station from taking my $1 and slapping a sticker on my celica a 7 yrs ago. Maybe that's why they're not around anymore - lol

Old 09-22-2009, 01:05 PM

280 posts, read 640,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

The way I read the above is that if you bring a failed car back to the station that inspected/failed it, they need only reinspect the stuff that failed, and not the whole car over again (and yes, then it's cheaper).

I don't think it says that you can *only* return to that place, rather that the station that inspected you first will only reinspect the failed items, whereas a new place would charge the full fee and inspect the whole car.

As for the headlight, if there's condensation inside I think you'd have to take the lens off? But either way if it looks fine now you're probably good.

I have no idea of where your chances are better. I would imagine showing up anywhere with a failed sticker gets more attention than just a regular annual sticker.

One thing I have noticed is that the bigger garages that want you to sign something saying "do minor fixes to my car up to $25 if needed for inspection" always seem to find a $25 repair and pass your car. I've exclusively owned older, marginal cars and sometimes that seems like not such a bad deal . . .

Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM

732 posts, read 1,596,132 times
Yeah, it needs to go back to the same place as others have already stated. If you go to another shop, then they'll charge the full $15 amount again and perform a full inspection. The mechanic will not fail the items again though if you fixed them yourself, and he's already inspected everything else on the car to be passing. I always do my own work, and if it's failed in the past, I never have a problem when I fix it myself and re-inspect the car. If you are unsure about the headlights, just go by the shop and grab the inspector as he's finishing up with another. It shouldn't take him more than a few seconds to tell you if you did a good enough job to pass or that it needs more work. Most mechanic shops aren't going to jerk you around over a state inspection, they'll offer to fix everything which could cost a lot, but if you've got it fixed yourself then they'll pass your car.

If the brakes aren't bad enough to fail, but the inspector brought them up, then it means that they're close to end of life. If you plan on selling the car in 4 to 5 months, the chances are that the person that buys it will want the brakes changed anyways (or you may be docked on trade value), and if they're low it could show a potential buyer that you dont take very good care of the car. Brakes are pretty simple to change if you can have a friend help you out that knows a basic car maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia