U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-22-2009, 10:26 AM

43 posts, read 49,946 times
Default Visiting the NOVA/DC area in November

Hello everyone.

In efforts to get a darn job in the area, I've made arrangements to visit for a week in November. I'm continuously applying for jobs so hopefully I will be able to do a sit down interview with a few while I'm in town... Any suggestions for what I should do while I'm town to maybe get this ball rolling a little faster? Also, preparations beforehand?

I also plan to enjoy myself while I'm in town so its not all business...As for my R&R, I've already got a list of places to visit that my dad told me about which include the Smithsonian and the Lincoln Memorial. Feel free to add on to that list since I'll be celebrating my birthday that week as well ie Restuarants, "hot spots", etc.

Thanks in advance! Hope everyone is enjoying their day!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-22-2009, 12:47 PM

962 posts, read 1,258,969 times
Alot will depend on where you are staying. The Smithsonians (there are quite a few, I suggest you research them and choose a few, you might not want to see them all) and the National Mall can take all day..all week if you read everything...wear good shoes

I recommend getting a car, if you hadn't planned that already. And I would also suggest staying outside of town, not only is it cheaper, but it more likely where you will living, giving you a better prespective on travel times etc.

Unread 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM

My dad had mentioned the National Mall, ha. I do not want to spend my entire week reading...I have time for that at a later date. I'm packing an array of outfits and shoes...Being a resident of GA, I'm going to be prepared for all types of weather conditions since its very unpredicatable here.

I hadn't planned on getting a car...I was hoping to play with the metro system...I guess I'll go ahead and budget that expense in just in case. Thanks slduvall. You've been such a big help to me thus far.

Unread 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

72 posts, read 149,504 times
National Geographic: Washington Walking Tour--Maps, Photos

You dont need a car to see downtown DC.
its metro accessible and easily walkable.
(Taxis are available for those bar-hopping nights!)

Check out link above, for a walking tour.

Get a hotel room in Arlington, on the ORANGE line metro. That will put it about 2-3 stops away from Downtown DC, without any train changes.

There are hotels in Rosslyn, Courthouse and Ballston, to name a few.

Unread 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM

2,425 posts, read 3,224,100 times
If you'll be relying on metro for the entire week, think about getting the 7-day pass: Metro - Fares - Online Fare Purchases

It might save you a few bucks if you're going to be using metro a lot.

Unread 09-23-2009, 06:01 AM

962 posts, read 1,258,969 times
The car recommendation is not to see the DC area, but to see the NOVA area where she would most likely work/live/have daycare. You can't get a full grasp of commute time if you use the metro during non rush hour. My recomendation to anyone moving here is to plant themselves in a hotel in say woodbridge and join the 7:00 am rat race, heading in multiple directions, DC, Tysons, metro parking garages etc. Pick a slightly rainy day...and that is the reality of traffic here. I think the main purpose of her trip isn't to see what great attractions we have but to see if she would really like to live and work here.

Unread 09-23-2009, 06:29 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 6,964,548 times
Are you coming in early Nov? Have you already made arrangements with companies? I don't mean to be a downer, but keep in mind with all the gov't offices, contractors following gov't schedule, and people with use-or-lose leave, it can be really hard to track people down at work between Veterans Day (11 Nov) and New Years.

Of course, if you are looking at companies that have litte to do with the gov't, this might not be an issue. But its something that you might want to be aware of. Just make sure you have everthing nailed down before you come, cause I would hate to see you get here and get voicemails everywhere. Good luck to you!

Unread 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM

I plan on being there after Veterans Day, the week of the 15th. No arrangements have been made with companies as of yet, which is to be expected since its not quite October. This trip isn't for the gov't offices since those jobs take foreverrrrrrrrrrr to even get a call back from what I've gathered. It's more for the companies that might take a month or two, at most, to hire. Its a business trip ie interviews (hopefully), commute time, look at the different areas, check out daycares, possibly stop by temp agencies (setting up appointments in advance), etc... Once all that's said and done, then I'll enjoy my time. It won't be a wasted trip even if I only get one interview because I do have a friend that lives there and my son won't be with me I'm not sure if theres anything else I can do while I'm here related to getting a job?

This entire process is proving itself to be extremely difficult. Grrrr. I appreciate all the help though. I keep feeling as if I'm completely missing something but I know with this crowd, you're sure to point it out.

Unread 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 6,964,548 times
DUH! Of course not YET. Probably two weeks before you would come would make sense. Ignore that part, my brain was screwed on yet But it does sound like you have a plan! Good luck!!

BTW, if you are interested in gov't work, and you can somehow get contact info for departments where you would like to work. It could be useful to call up and see if they have a few minutes for a chat. If you want a gov't job, it helps to make yourself a known quantity beforehand so when an vacancy does come about, you can find out about it and they are looking for your application.

Unread 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM

3,196 posts, read 6,951,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
BTW, if you are interested in gov't work, and you can somehow get contact info for departments where you would like to work. It could be useful to call up and see if they have a few minutes for a chat. If you want a gov't job, it helps to make yourself a known quantity beforehand so when an vacancy does come about, you can find out about it and they are looking for your application.
I was going to recommend that for any job you're interested in. Even if it's not an official "interview" you can still call and say that you are interested in the agency/company and would like to stop by to talk to someone about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia