U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:00 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Wow Denton, you mean when school board members are ELECTED, you end up with all politicians? Who'da thunk it!

And when our school board was APPOINTED (not so long ago), there were all bureaucrats. Equally amazing!

When everybody was pushing for an elected board....I remember hearing this old adage a lot: "Be careful what you wish for!"
I never liked the idea of an elected school board so I voted against it.

Our previous school board member was just a regular guy from my neighborhood, appointed by the supervisor for my district. He had no allegiance to school staff, the superintendent, or anyone else. He simply did what he thought was best for students and the tax payers. He never had that whole politician attitude. That was MUCH better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,726 times
I know Til Hazel. But who is Robert Moses?

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:01 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I know Til Hazel. But who is Robert Moses?

Thanks!

Moses was the legendary and highly controversial "master urban planner" of New York City for 50+ years....the guy largely responsible for how the place looks today.

Til Hazel shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph with Moses....there's no comparison.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM

518 posts, read 1,292,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Moses was the legendary and highly controversial "master urban planner" of New York City for 50+ years....the guy largely responsible for how the place looks today.

Til Hazel shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph with Moses....Til is small potatoes compared with Moses.
My point is that Til Hazel as a lawyer/developer is responsible for the development of much of Fairfax County (not just Tysons) and thus the look and feel of it--its neighborhoods, shopping malls, roads, and yes freeways!!. His law firm helped acquire the land to build the Capital Beltway. As a "master urban planner" Moses is responsible for New York's expressways, bridges, parks, and other infrastructural projects that significantly altered the city's neighborhoods and drove the suburban housing boom of Long Island, in particular.

Both men altered the urban/suburban landscapes of their regions in very significant ways, and thus my analogy. I think it's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Maybe it was his way of keeping Arlington nicer than Fairfax.
Yes. It's interesting how most of suburban Fairfax County has little resemblance to the Arlington of Til Hazel's youth. (I've given explantions in previous posts.) But to his credit, his Burke Center development did aim to tie in the commercial areas to the residential areas with walking paths and sidewalks. However, the planned or "unplanned" developments he built was fairly typical suburban sprawl.

Back when Til Hazel grew up in Arlington, nearby McLean was mostly farmland. The Hazel family, in fact, had a dairy farm in McLean and a custard stand in Clarendon. Many Arlington residents then owned farmland in parts of Fairfax County.

"John T. Hazel, Jr: The visionary who shaped Northern Virginia"
http://www.washingtonian.com/print/articles/6/174/6617.html (broken link)
--you have to scroll down to find the story on Til Hazel.

Last edited by irvine; 09-26-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I feel bad for San Diego as SAIC was probably one of the few places that helped residents outpace the "sunshine tax". But with so many offices here already, it makes sense that SAIC would consolidate their locations.

Johnrex62: As a defense contractor, SAIC's presence was established long before any stimuli.
As a consultant in the Federal Sector I am fully aware of SAIC's role in contracting and it's facilities around the world. It and many others are greatly boosting their presence in the DC area to cash in on the growth of the federal bureaucracy and the potential for political favor from these new and growing agencies. SAIC does not only perform contracts for military defense. Many of their contracts are under the domain of Homeland Security as well as a multitude of non-defense related agencies. Would it surprise you to learn that they have contracts in the educational sector, NASA, Dept of Interior, Interstate Commerce, FDA?

Growth of government is good for contractors and they will flock to the money. When the money was mostly military spending, they would be near bases and high profile defense plants. Now the money is interior spending and the money is in DC so that is where SAIC want to concentrate their influence.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 PM

658 posts, read 1,619,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I feel bad for San Diego as SAIC was probably one of the few places that helped residents outpace the "sunshine tax". But with so many offices here already, it makes sense that SAIC would consolidate their locations.

Johnrex62: As a defense contractor, SAIC's presence was established long before any stimuli.
According to the San Diego Tribune, only 20 positions are slated to move from San Diego to McLean: SAIC not planning major S.D. job cuts with move - SignOnSanDiego.com

The 1200 positions are estimated new jobs created by SAIC expanding its business. Of course, it does state that additional positions could move from San Diego.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:15 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
According to the San Diego Tribune, only 20 positions are slated to move from San Diego to McLean: SAIC not planning major S.D. job cuts with move - SignOnSanDiego.com

The 1200 positions are estimated new jobs created by SAIC expanding its business. Of course, it does state that additional positions could move from San Diego.
Thanks for sharing that. It looks like a winning situation for everyone so far.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:58 PM

715 posts, read 1,866,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post

I can't see SAIC keeping their corporate digs in SD though.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM

257 posts, read 586,004 times
Wow. Northern VA is really kicking butt with jobs these days! I would move up there in a heartbeat if I can figure out how to afford it!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times
Does anyone known when this is supposed to happen? Also, when is Northrop Grumman moving here (and did they choose which city to put the corporate offices)? How about Raytheon? I know Raytheon bought the old AOL campus but when do they move in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or