Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM

128 posts, read 157,330 times

Advertisements

I live in Alexandria usually take the yellow line from DC straight into town. When coming from SW DC this is no problem at all. However, when I have an evening appointment in NW (Farrugut/McPherson area) and have to use the blue line to get home I wait for at least 4 orange trains to pass before I get on a packed blue train for a very uncomfortable ride into VA. Luckily I still have my wallet! Has anyone else felt that the Rush Plus changes were extremely unfair to those of us in Alexandria/Springfield? Wouldn't a simple shuttle bus from Farrugut west to L'Enfant Plaza during evening rush help? Thoughts? Any suggested alternate routes from NW DC to Pentagon bus terinal? Or is there a bus which goes from an orange line station to Van Dorn?

Last edited by Erix; 06-09-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,503,481 times
You could take the Orange/Blue line to L'Enfant and then take Yellow line to Pentagon where you'll have both regular blue line trains and rush-plus yellow trains to Springfield. At the very least, probably less crowded trains.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,553,771 times
Why would there need to be a shuttle bus from Farragut to L'Enfant when that is already only like a six or seven minute ride on the Orange (or Blue) line? Very unlikely any bus could go faster than that in rush hour traffic.
I'm pretty sure the ride of Farragut to L'Enfant on Orange/Blue then L'Enfant to Van Dorn on Yellow is less or the same time as Farragut to Van Dorn on Blue, transfer times excluded. So if the transfer time for the Blue line is bad, it's a no-brainer to head to L'Enfant.
Also, if you're near Farragut West, then you are only a block or two from Farragut North, which is only two stops on the Red line from Gallery Place, where you could transfer to the Yellow. That would probably be even faster than taking the Orange/Blue.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,550,358 times
Unfortunately, Blue Line travelers are screwed (and it will only get worse

Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Unfortunately, Blue Line travelers are screwed (and it will only get worse
The only way to fix it is to build a new river crossing. That's many years in the future, so, yeah, they're screwed.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:07 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,297,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The only way to fix it is to build a new river crossing. That's many years in the future, so, yeah, they're screwed.
There can be improvements to the headways to return to somewhat more normalcy before that, but I agree it is time for another crossing of the potomac, and it can be combined with a road bridge so that everyone has buy in and cost share is reduced.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 PM

128 posts, read 157,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Why would there need to be a shuttle bus from Farragut to L'Enfant when that is already only like a six or seven minute ride on the Orange (or Blue) line? Very unlikely any bus could go faster than that in rush hour traffic.
I'm pretty sure the ride of Farragut to L'Enfant on Orange/Blue then L'Enfant to Van Dorn on Yellow is less or the same time as Farragut to Van Dorn on Blue, transfer times excluded. So if the transfer time for the Blue line is bad, it's a no-brainer to head to L'Enfant.
Also, if you're near Farragut West, then you are only a block or two from Farragut North, which is only two stops on the Red line from Gallery Place, where you could transfer to the Yellow. That would probably be even faster than taking the Orange/Blue.
I've always thought about using the "Farrugut shortcut" when metro-ing to Maryland (red line) in order to bypass the often unforgiving mob at Metro Center. I never thought to walk there (what less than 10 minutes from the 17th and Eye?) to transfer directly to the Yellow for my occasional doctor appointments or store visits in NW DC. Fewer stops than taking the blue line back may make it quicker, depending on the timing.

Thank goodness for the Yellow line train. One stop straight across the river to the bus terminal at Pentagon. I agree with the other posters in that there needs to be another crossing at some point. Some other connection from NW to Virginia.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,553,771 times
Less than 10 minutes from 17th and I? Try less than five minutes. There's a Farragut North entrance at 17th and K, just a block away.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:24 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,844,004 times
I am in Ft Washington and catch Metro at Branch Ave if I need to. Catching a green line train at L'Enfant during rush hour is pure hell. Waiting for 4 trains is a must at times. If I drive to Eisenhower Rd the train ride is easier but the drive is hell. I am glad to have the choice. I ride the silver line a lot.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:26 PM

754 posts, read 1,733,345 times
Yup...totally agree. I've been complaining of this since they started rush plus yellow and then they made it worst by increasing train times during rush hour when the silver started. Just wait until they open the potomac yard station and continue to open stations along the silver line, i hope to be out of D.C. by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia