Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM

424 posts, read 1,479,179 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I am looking into buying a foreclosure property and would like to understand the process as we've never purchased such properties before.
* We are planning to bid for a little over the asking price.
* I understand the bank would wait a few days to try and maximize the offers they receive.
* Assuming, they get multiple offers, what would they do?
1. Would they simply go with the highest offer and that's that?
2. Would they communicate the highest offer to the other interested parties in the interest of maximizing their profits?
3. Would they do anything other than the above? If yes, what would that be?

Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Hey,
I am looking into buying a foreclosure property and would like to understand the process as we've never purchased such properties before.
* I understand the bank would wait a few days to try and maximize the offers they receive.
2. Would they communicate the highest offer to the other interested parties in the interest of maximizing their profits?

Thanks folks!
I bought my first foreclosure back in April 09 and this is what I found. Listing agents are routinely listing the properties very low to get a lot of traffic into the property and drum up interest. There is no magic forumula on what to bid (List price - 10%, List price + 5% etc). Have your realtor pull up the comps and go by them. Sometimes it's tough because sometimes many of the latest comps were all foreclosure/shortsales and the last sale was the bank buying it back at auction .

What I've found is listing agent will have a deadline of when offers will be received. They'll take the best offer, and the best offer may not be the highest bid. The best offer could be a lower bid, but have less contingencies. In multiple offer situations, my realtor could not tell me what the best offer was, only that there were multiple offers and with that knowledge did I want to modify my offer.

I was outbid multiple times while I was going through the search and this was even when the offer was above list. Don't get frustrated and don't let your emotions cloud your judgement. By all means keep the inspection, financing and appraisal contingencies.

Good luck!

(I am not a realtor, just some random guy that went through the pain a few months ago...)

Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks oneasterisk. Question I have is - would the bank get back to all the interest parties who wrote the contract or would they simply take the best one and move on?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:31 AM

In the multiple bid situations I went through, you had one chance to submit your best offer. There were no counter offers. The only chance I had was to modify my offer once I learned that there were multiple offers. My realtor would later tell me that the bank went with a different offer

Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 AM

Thanks oneasterisk. I think we are in a similar situation except that the bank hasn't gotten back to us with that information. The selling agent made a mention of other offers, atleast one other one. I suppose this doesn't fit into the category you mention and we should most likely hear from the bank. Correct? Am I understanding you correctly?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 AM

My agent actually gave me a form that I had to sign that said I had been informed that I was in a multiple offer scenario. I worked with a Prudential agent so I'm not sure if it's standard process or specific to that agency. Why don't you ask your agent how this bank handles the foreclosures. It's very possible that different banks have a different process. Heck, each listing agent may have a different process. Your best bet would be to have your agent speak to the LA to see how they are going to do it.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM

Thanks oneasterisk, appreciate it!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,669 times
I bought my house back over new years weekend(dec '08) as a foreclosure.

We bid on 5 other houses before finally getting ours, and it was a frustrating process. We found that nearly every offer was different actually. Some of them countered back and forth with us (only offer at the time); another we had a multiple bid situation and were told to submit our best and final offer, the following week the bank said ours was highest but they wanted to negotiate further; another we bid full price and heard nothing back, which was the case with the other foreclosures; On the house we finally got, we bid on the house within 4 hours of it being listed at full price, luckily the listing agent was buddies with my realtor and pushed our offer as the best.

So, I'd say you're experience will probably differ from house to house and it can be annoying! Just make sure you're happy with the house you bid on and dont get caught up bidding too high if you get caught in a bidding war.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 PM

239 posts, read 642,093 times
I bought for 9600 below list last December. A condo in Summerlin, Nevada. The seller was Credit Suisse First Boston. The transaction was being handled by Wells Fargo Asset Management (I guess they really do sleep together). They said 45K, I said 33,400, they said 42 (it seemed like they were able to drop by 3000 for a cash offer), I said 35,400, they accepted on December 29, 2008. I bid on quite a few others and it was a royal pain in the ass. Persistence will prevail. They will come back and routinely ask for highest and best. I tell them I don't bid against myself. They make you sign away most of your rights, and tell you that it isn't really final, until it is really final. My unit had previously sold for 135K in April 2005, and a similar unit (without the pool view) sold for 150K.
BUt, what is more interesting to me is that Howard Hughes paid 25 cents per acre for the 25,000 acres that Summerlin is built on, in the 1950s. I'm working on a few in NoVa at the moment, and I expect there to be more foreclosures in 2010 than 2009, as there will be more this year than last.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:47 AM

982 posts, read 3,486,486 times
Making the highest offer isn't necessarily going to get you under contract. What you want to be sure of is that your offer isn't impacting the seller's net....so you could "win" the contract by simply offering full price, but having no contingencies, and either conventional or 203K financing or cash.

The market is very competitive right now, and banks aren't going for offers that are contingency laden or that have financing that will cost them money. VA and FHA often have appraisal required repairs that buyers expect the banks to pay for...even though the contract clearly indicates with as is properties, the buyer has to make their own repairs. If you have to go with VA or FHA financing, make sure you include an addendum indicating that you'll make your own appraisal related repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Hey,

Thanks folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia