Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

Moving from Miami to Herndon, VA and wondering what the best place to live would be. It's my girlfriend and me.

Current situation:

Salary - $80k + bonus
Rent - Studio: $1,100 w/internet (I know, this is cheap) + electricity (~$70)
I currently commute 40-45 minutes each way to work and it blows.

I'd like my commute to be less than 20 minutes, which probably doesn't leave me too many options.
I'd also like to spend no more than $1,600/month in rent.
It would be nice to live near a metro where I can actually do things on the weekend, if not I'll just drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 03:00 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
You said you are moving to Herndon. Is the job in Herndon? If so, and you want a short commute, you'd better find a place right there in Herndon. Will take metro out of the equation though.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmc83 View Post
It would be nice to live near a metro where I can actually do things on the weekend, if not I'll just drive.

What kinds of things do you like to do on the weekend? If you choose to live near your work, you might be surprised at how much there is to do in a 5-mile radius. Depending, of course, on what sorts of things you like to do. One Loudoun and those townhouses near the Harris Teeter and NVCC in Sterling are two places where you can walk to a lot of stores and good restaurants. If you want to be near a metro station, your best bet is probably to look for a place in Reston.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmc83 View Post

Metro is hell on the weekends with very poor service and large train time intervals (lots of weekend track work, general incompetence etc). Many people going out are driving or Uber/Lyft. Metro is ok for large stadium events like baseball or if you are not in any kind of hurry whatsoever.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:02 PM

I will be working in Herndon, VA - sorry for not clarifying.
I don't care about doing things at night during the weekdays because there's a 1% chance of me wanting to go out during the week, I just don't do it now. I only thought it would make sense to live near a metro so I can utilize it during the weekend, but if it blows then I'll just drive.
I know regardless of where I live, the nightlife won't come close to how it is here in Miami, but I'm okay with that. Fun for me would consist of visiting new places, going out to nice restaurants, and enjoying nature. Does that help narrow down possibilities on where I can live?

Old 10-20-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
What kinds of things do you like to do on the weekend? If you choose to live near your work, you might be surprised at how much there is to do in a 5-mile radius. Depending, of course, on what sorts of things you like to do. One Loudoun and those townhouses near the Harris Teeter and NVCC in Sterling are two places where you can walk to a lot of stores and good restaurants. If you want to be near a metro station, your best bet is probably to look for a place in Reston.
Just briefly looked around One Loudoun and the places here look really nice and affordable.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Metro is hell on the weekends with very poor service and large train time intervals (lots of weekend track work, general incompetence etc). Many people going out are driving or Uber/Lyft. Metro is ok for large stadium events like baseball or if you are not in any kind of hurry whatsoever.

I thought public transit was good here lol...I'll just have to drive then!

Old 10-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You said you are moving to Herndon. Is the job in Herndon? If so, and you want a short commute, you'd better find a place right there in Herndon. Will take metro out of the equation though.

Working in Herndon - Thought about using the metro to do 'things' on the weekend, but I guess it's like Miami, you gotta drive everywhere.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,560,839 times
The subway system is not really walkable between stations unless you go to downtown DC. If you have a few regular destinations, such as home, office, museums, stadiums, restaurants, and stores, then you can use it for commuting between two points. The exception is probably the one or two megamalls on the system, Pentagon City and Tysons Corner, where you do multiple things: eat, shop, workout, etc. Reston Town Center will be a long walk from the station exits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia