Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,862,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Admittedly, I think the subject line of this thread is a bit insensitive. As I read on through the post though, I picked up more that the poster was wondering why whites or blacks, specifically teens, no longer worked at McDonalds as they used to. See below statements:

To be honest, I too wonder where the "change" has come from with some of the teens. I don't think it's racial. I just don't think it's "cool" to work at McDonalds for teens. It's the last thing they want to do. Doesn't matter what color they are. Most teens around here aren't poor enough to want to take that job. They want to work at Abercrombie, American Eagle, or some such place. I agree that it is an economic issue and, at this time, the Hispanics that are working there are probably the largest population at the bottom of that ladder and, therefore, more willing/needing to take an "uncool" job.
I'm in complete agreement here, I touched on this a little bit earlier. I think the OP's questions have been answered.

Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
As far as the original poster's observation that he/she felt discriminated against when trying to get a job at a buffet that was dominated by Hispanic workers. He/she probably didn't imagine it. Discrimination goes in all directions.
In complete agreement here too.

I don't doubt he/she was discriminated against, not for one minute. Back when I worked at a restaurant, I believe I was discriminated against (when it came to schedules/promotions) for being 'not Hispanic enough'.

Turns out I didn't need their stupid job anyway, which is I think how we should look at this. If a potential workplace is going to shun someone for something that is beyond their control, they probably shouldn't want to work there anyway. Let those discriminators have their cake.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:09 AM

542 posts, read 988,569 times
I think most people say they do not discriminate because it is politically incorrect or they went to college and it is beneathe them to think in such barbaric ways, but I have honestly never seen such rampant forms of subtle discrimination as with the more wealthy and "educated", not just in NoVa, but in the entire country. It is quite disturbing to me. And the people you would automatically stereotype as being racist are not. Such as the "uneducated" blue collar workers who don't make six figures. I live in a supposed "backward" area of the state and daily see blacks, whites, and what latino's we have here getting along just fine mingling with each other, walking down the streets together, hanging out at the park, etc. People should be treated on an individual basis. You treat me fine, I'll treat you fine no matter your skin color or ethnic background. I have noticed on these threads how someone will be concerned about a certain family of different race moving in to the neighborhood and different perceptions and it just amazes me how they spin it to not sound racist. It's mind boggling. And by the way, latino's working at McDonald's is not just a NoVa thing, it's in all the larger metro's of the state, just not on the same level as NoVa, and that's fine by me. McDonald's food tastes the same no matter who prepares it, like crap.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:50 AM

33 posts, read 134,954 times
Default Sigh

ChristinaVA: Um, are you a lawyer because if you're not, YOU SHOULD BE! LOL. You took the words right out of my mouth, literally.

David Aguilar: Not meaning at all to offend or pose weird threads on the board. The subject is an issue of sociology involving the changing culture of the workplace in NOVA, particularly at McD's, is all. I've surely seen gobs of weirdness on this board so not sure why this one is so incredibly weird to you.

Nebat: LOL at the "crap" McD's food comment.

(Dang, I wrote a better response but it got lost in transition and had to start over.)

Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 AM

230 posts, read 1,033,595 times
I really don't care what nationallity the person serving me is, just please get my order right!!!!!!!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,862,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova10 View Post
David Aguilar: Not meaning at all to offend or pose weird threads on the board. The subject is an issue of sociology involving the changing culture of the workplace in NOVA, particularly at McD's, is all. I've surely seen gobs of weirdness on this board so not sure why this one is so incredibly weird to you.
Well, if you are writing a thesis or something, then fine.

It's not "weird" to me. To me, it's sickening to classify people in such a way, that's all. You can call it sociology all you want, if Hispanics working at McDonald's wasn't a concern, discomfort or displeasure for you, you wouldn't bother starting a thread about it. Changing culture my foot, it's still McDonald's, you just might hear more Spanish being spoken behind the counter. Chances are, if there's a Hispanic population around, they are working somewhere.

Any area (NoVA in this case) that is growing, both in people and affluence will gain diversity in the process. 20 years ago, I highly doubt NoVA was as populous, affluent and diverse as it is now.

Why not do a study to find out how many M&M's of each color there are in bags purchased at different stores? Maybe there are more brown M&M's in the bags purchased at 7-Eleven, and more yellow M&M's in bags purchased at the grocery store.

Do you see where I'm going with this? No matter what you say, it's more offensive when you are doing this with people. Certainly the people you are classifying here would rather be looked at as people first, and as an ethnicity second, if they have to be looked at as an ethnicity at all.

Think about it for a minute. Would you go up to the counter at McDonald's, and ask why there was so many Hispanics working there? Would asking someone a question like that be considered appropriate?

All I want to know is why it matters. This has got to be more than one of those "just wondering" moments.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,545,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I have a friend that owns several McDonald's franchises and he says immigrants have been the answer to his (staffing) prayers!

Immigrants show up EVERY day and work hard.
Immigrants work for what he wants to pay.
Immigrants do not complain.
Immigrants do not, or very rarely embezzle his funds.
Immigrant communities are close knit, so he an unlimited supply of new workers when needed.

What's not to like? This is also why there will NEVER be immigration reform....the "right" people want it to stay as it is.

Contrast the above to a bunch of slack-jawed teenagers stealing, goofing off, not showing up, or showing up stoned.

PS: My brother just moved to a lilly white, 100% native born area in Missouri. He says they all speak perfect English at the McDonald's out there, but they STILL screw up your order most of the time. It's not language, they just flat don't care if you get what you ordered, LOL!
I was recently at a "trendy" fast food joint (in Northern Virginia) that was staffed w/ non-immigrant teens. I guess the trendyness of it attracted teen workers? Every trash can was full. None of the tables had been cleaned, the teens were loafing around and gossiping. One was sitting at a table reading the paper and didn't notice me struggle w/ stuffing trash into the trash can (3 times!). I was the only customer! I will never go back there again. I don't care who works there, but I couldn't help but notice the laziness of the teen workers.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,448,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova10 View Post
That said, several people I know, including myself, went for years (literally) within NOVA without seeing ONE non-Hispanic working at any local McDonalds. It was shocking after a while because when I was growing up, if nothing else, many teenagers would often work there as well as other fast foods joints. So now it's interesting and befuddling to see NO or recently very few whites or blacks (teenagers or not) working in McDonalds restaurants.

I don't get it. Where do all the whites/black kids now work? Or adults of the same colors who would normally work at McDonalds?

Has anyone else been through a drive-thru lately or inside of a McDonalds in the NOVA area and spotted white or black employees?? Just wondering.

I also must point out that I don't exactly eat at McDonalds on a regular basis but I do go there for huge cups of ice and ocassionally their cherry pies which I used to get as a child and still like. My point is though I don't go there regularly, when I DO go to any of the NOVA McD's I haven't seen any other ethnic group working there but the aforementioned.

Thoughts?
(If this thread isn't deleted/moved elsewhere.) Hopefully it's not.
In suburban LA, primarily in parts of Orange County, northern LA County, and the Inland Empire, many of the teenage employees at In-N-Out, McDonalds, Jack In the Box, Weinerschnitzel, etc are in fact white and asian (in addition to hispanic of any race). The same is true at many of the shopping mall food courts at Hot Dog on a Stick, Orange Julius, etc.

BTW, you can still get the old "fried" apple and cherry pies at many LA area McDonalds.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:07 PM

40 posts, read 244,845 times
I have to admit I was also pretty shocked and concerned when I read the title of this thread. I am considering a job at Dulles, and although I have an engineering and Masters Degree, I am originally from Spain, so I look spanish
I came to the US 7 years ago, and I am very used to the friendliness of people in Santa Barbara to the international community. Just wondering if race would be an issue in NOVA...

Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM

34 posts, read 94,285 times
You might be seeing more Hispanics in places like that because the majority of white kids on this area are spoiled and mommy and daddy pay their bills and their college/school fees plus the fact that they might not want to work there because there's "immigrants" ( THIS COUNTRY IS BASED ON IMMIGRATION AND ALL KINDS OF CULTURES COMING FROM DIFFERENT COUNTRIES,OPEN YOUR MIND! ) . Another thing is that a lot and most of hispanics working in restaurants and such are bilingual and that is a plus since the hispanic community is clearly not minority in this area.As for the black kids,well maybe they don't get hired because they don't know spanish? IMO i've seen plenty of black kids working at Mc donald's,obviously if it's an area where there's more latinos then there'll be more latinos working in the stores nearby (DUH).The great majority of latinos that come to this country are determined to WORK no matter what and they know they have to earn their things unlike most of the rich kids who get things handed to them,meaning they can wait to get that better job where all they're gonna do is slack off and such. I know the OP stated that it's nothing racial or BLA BLA BLA but IT IS,if you want white kids to work at Mc Donalds then teach them a 2nd language and make them learn how to work for their things and be responsible.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:40 PM

34 posts, read 94,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I think most people say they do not discriminate because it is politically incorrect or they went to college and it is beneathe them to think in such barbaric ways, but I have honestly never seen such rampant forms of subtle discrimination as with the more wealthy and "educated", not just in NoVa, but in the entire country. It is quite disturbing to me. And the people you would automatically stereotype as being racist are not. Such as the "uneducated" blue collar workers who don't make six figures. I live in a supposed "backward" area of the state and daily see blacks, whites, and what latino's we have here getting along just fine mingling with each other, walking down the streets together, hanging out at the park, etc. People should be treated on an individual basis. You treat me fine, I'll treat you fine no matter your skin color or ethnic background. I have noticed on these threads how someone will be concerned about a certain family of different race moving in to the neighborhood and different perceptions and it just amazes me how they spin it to not sound racist. It's mind boggling. And by the way, latino's working at McDonald's is not just a NoVa thing, it's in all the larger metro's of the state, just not on the same level as NoVa, and that's fine by me. McDonald's food tastes the same no matter who prepares it, like crap.

Agreed. I'll get along with ANYONE as long as their cool in my book. I've had friends that are Asian,Middle Eastern,Hispanic,Light skin,Dark skin,you name it. If OP is making a post about this and bringing this to everyone's attention then apparently is a big deal and important if a thread is made and asking for people's thoughts on this. It's funny how racist people say "i'm not being racist" and then still say racist things but it's all good because as long as you say i'm not being racist then you can be as racist as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia