U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM

606 posts, read 1,514,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
If you're not shy about 'learning/adapting' to Linux, I would actually suggest Linux to Windows XP when it comes to Netbooks.

Linux is more memory efficient than XP. This memory efficiency is probably not a big deal on a full-sized laptop, but on a netbook where every bit of memory matters, it could be a big deal. Plus Linux systems aren't as prone to malware/viruses as windows (for the same reason Apple is less prone). A downside is compatibility issues. Some programs that you may use may not be compatible with Linux. On the other hand, one would assume you would not have that many applications on your netbook anyway.

Here's a pretty good (but long) article about different operating systems for a netbook with their advantages and disadvantages:

Windows 7 vs Linux: What's the Best OS for Your Netbook? - Page 1 | Maximum PC

I don't own a netbook, but I'd agree with this synopsis. I use both Windows (Vista) and Linux on my home PCs. I need Windows for the MS Office Suite and some things are just easier to set up on Windows. Admittedly, I'm not a Linux expert and some things on it can be difficult to learn so that can be a pain, but it also has a lot of advantages over Windows. For a netbook, I would think Linux would be ideal. As mentioned by 540, Linux uses less resources (i.e. runs more efficienty), won't have the virus issues, and runs much smoother. For pure web browsing machine (which is what netbooks tend to be), Linux is just as good as Windows, if not better, IMO. Of course, you will have to learn a few new things to adapt to it, so that's the only real hurdle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If you decide to go the brick-and-mortar route, I would go to Micro Center in Fairfax. I've bought my last few computers there and they always seems to be cheaper than Best Buy and have much better service.
+1

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
Well, Sony is ok ! I've just read a review from gizmodo.com and find a review on a very nice and elegant iPhone case there by dsstyles.com, they seem to have a xmas lucky draw promotion there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia