Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
LOL! During Labor Day weekend, metro shut down the station at Pentagon City.
Yeah, that was a one-time event weeks ago. The station is almost never shut down, and if you were desperate to go the mall that weekend, you could have taken the shuttle bus or one of a million other buses that serves Pentagon City.

Anyway, I don't really see the big deal with charging for parking. Any urban destination does this. You can't park for free if you're shopping in Georgetown or downtown DC either. As a Pentagon City resident, I was happy that the mall charged. It encourages people to take Metro and improved traffic around the area. There are also alternatives to the garage- there are meters around that are free on Sundays and the Pentagon Row meters that are free for the first hour. Crystal City parking is 100% free on the weekend and is only about a 15 minute walk from Pentagon City mall.

If it really bothers you that Pentagon City charges for parking, most of the stores are available in Tysons or other malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Yeah, that was a one-time event weeks ago. The station is almost never shut down, and if you were desperate to go the mall that weekend, you could have taken the shuttle bus or one of a million other buses that serves Pentagon City.

Anyway, I don't really see the big deal with charging for parking. Any urban destination does this. You can't park for free if you're shopping in Georgetown or downtown DC either. As a Pentagon City resident, I was happy that the mall charged. It encourages people to take Metro and improved traffic around the area. There are also alternatives to the garage- there are meters around that are free on Sundays and the Pentagon Row meters that are free for the first hour. Crystal City parking is 100% free on the weekend and is only about a 15 minute walk from Pentagon City mall.

If it really bothers you that Pentagon City charges for parking, most of the stores are available in Tysons or other malls.
It doesn't bother me that PC charges for parking. It's a run down mall with a ghetto food court that needs a makeover. It used to be good back in the day, but Tysons has since surpassed it.

Parking wise though, it used to be free on weekdays after hours, and free on weekends, so the reasoning that they charge now to prevent office workers from parking there during work hours is really not applicable.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM

You consider Pentagon City a "run down mall"? Seriously? Do run-down malls have Apple Stores and Nordstroms? I don't think it's quite as high class as the Tysons malls, but it's certainly no lower than 3rd on the "high class" list in the DC Metro area.

Anyway, I wasn't arguing about the issue about office workers parking at the Metro. The reason they charge is simply supply and demand. Road space and parking space is limited in Pentagon City even on evenings and weekends so it only makes sense to charge at all times. It's extra profit for the property owners and encourages people to Metro.

I'm guessing the weekend/after hours charges started after Pentagon Row opened. Before Pentagon Row, there would have been a lot less parking demand on evenings and weekends.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
It doesn't bother me that PC charges for parking. It's a run down mall with a ghetto food court that needs a makeover. It used to be good back in the day, but Tysons has since surpassed it.

Parking wise though, it used to be free on weekdays after hours, and free on weekends, so the reasoning that they charge now to prevent office workers from parking there during work hours is really not applicable.
I live next to Landmark Mall. I'll take Pentagon City over Landmark all day, any day.

Compared with my visits to Landmark, Iverson, and Springfield Malls, Pentagon City is way nicer.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Even compared with average malls like Fair Oaks, I think Pentagon City is way more upscale.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
You consider Pentagon City a "run down mall"? Seriously? Do run-down malls have Apple Stores and Nordstroms? I don't think it's quite as high class as the Tysons malls, but it's certainly no lower than 3rd on the "high class" list in the DC Metro area.

Anyway, I wasn't arguing about the issue about office workers parking at the Metro. The reason they charge is simply supply and demand. Road space and parking space is limited in Pentagon City even on evenings and weekends so it only makes sense to charge at all times. It's extra profit for the property owners and encourages people to Metro.

I'm guessing the weekend/after hours charges started after Pentagon Row opened. Before Pentagon Row, there would have been a lot less parking demand on evenings and weekends.
PC is probably beind Tysons 1 & 2 and Montgomery Mall. Maybe on par with Fair Oaks.

PC is not crap compared to Landmark or Springfield mall, but to me, the interior of PC is the same as it's been since it originally opened.

PC has an open and airy feeling, but the single overused elevator smells, and the paint is dingy. The food court is slightly dumpy, and I'm sure the owners wish they could expand if they weren't limited by the open interior.

Getting around PC is not easy due to the lack of elevators except one.

Given the fact that all the stores at PC can be found at Tysons, people would rather shop there and not pay for parking. Also, PC is severely lacking of restaurants inside the mall except for a smallish Harry's Tap Room.

The last time I was at PC on a weekend, there was plenty of parking.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zotmeister View Post
Anyone know of place to park so you don't have to pay. I find it rediculous that you have to pay for parking at a mall.
I just went on Sunday and actually looked at the rates. It's $1.50 for 0-2 hours, $2.00 after that for a few more hours, and that's all I remember. I typically only stay there for 1-1.5 hours (I'm not a marathon shopper), so I've never paid more than $1.50. If you park by the Harris Teeter you get the first hour free and could walk over to the mall from there. Otherwise, look for parking on the street. The street meters are free (last I recall) on weekends after 6pm on weekdays.

It's a pain, but the way I look at it, it's still cheaper than taking the metro there and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia