Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:38 PM

230 posts, read 1,035,253 times

Advertisements

Hi again,

My husband will be celebrating his 40th birthday next month & I'm trying to find somewhere nice to take him for the weekend of his birthday. Any suggestions on somewhere really nice within 3 hours (preferably less) drive of DC area that is child friendly (will have our children with us) and has access to golf for my hubby? Tried Landsdowne Resort, VA & Turf Valley Resort, MD but strangely both have no vaccancies for the weekend I'm after. Would really like to take him somewhere since we are here in the US without our families & friends to help celebrate. Not really sure where else to look since we are not familiar with the surrounding areas of NOVA.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,127,194 times
I've always wanted to try this place: Marriott Ranch bed and breakfast | Virginia small meetings | Virginia corporate retreats

I've ridden by it and it's beautiful. Also it's very close to "wine country", lots of wineries nearby. Not sure about golf though...

Old 08-04-2009, 02:10 PM

86 posts, read 250,013 times
a quiet but cute and fun retreat that was ACE in my book was House Mountain Inn in Lexington VA, spend a few days there and itll be heaven to you. your a short drive from a drive thru petting zoo, downtown lexington with some shops, there is definitely golf. Its beautiful and so hidden that you will only hear you and your family. The staff there as well lives right on the property and they are amazing, they cook for you daily and when i say cook i mean cook, by far some of the best food i have ever had, specially because they ask what you want...i wanted banana pancakes with bacon and chocolate milk, well 15 mins later freshly made it came right to me. Also the rooms have double sided fire places facing your bed and your jacuzzi tub, some of the rooms offer a private hot tub on your own porch and every room has amazing views. It trully was one of the most beautiful and fun places to retreat too for a short period of time.

Lexington Virginia Bed and Breakfast, Bed and Breakfast Shenandoah Valley (http://www.housemountaininn.com/home.htm - broken link)

Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,426 times
Nemacolin Resort is about 3 hours from DC and has something for everyone.

Pennsylvania Resorts | Pittsburgh Area Resorts | Nemacolin Woodands Resort

Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLivinNCities View Post
a quiet but cute and fun retreat that was ACE in my book was House Mountain Inn in Lexington VA, spend a few days there and itll be heaven to you. your a short drive from a drive thru petting zoo, downtown lexington with some shops, there is definitely golf. Its beautiful and so hidden that you will only hear you and your family. The staff there as well lives right on the property and they are amazing, they cook for you daily and when i say cook i mean cook, by far some of the best food i have ever had, specially because they ask what you want...i wanted banana pancakes with bacon and chocolate milk, well 15 mins later freshly made it came right to me. Also the rooms have double sided fire places facing your bed and your jacuzzi tub, some of the rooms offer a private hot tub on your own porch and every room has amazing views. It trully was one of the most beautiful and fun places to retreat too for a short period of time.

Lexington Virginia Bed and Breakfast, Bed and Breakfast Shenandoah Valley (http://www.housemountaininn.com/home.htm - broken link)

Oh looked so nice but unfortunately they don't have accommodations for children under 12 & our girls are younger than that. What a shame.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,633 times
Check out the Greenbriar (W.Va.) and the Homestead (VA)!!! Two local traditional getaways, rich in history. Both resorts I believe go as far back as the 1800s. ...very family friendly with plenty of activities for all.

http://www.greenbrier.com

Virginia Resorts, Mountain Vacations & Historic Hotels In Hot Springs VA - The Homestead

Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Check out the Greenbriar (W.Va.) and the Homestead (VA)!!! Two local traditional getaways, rich in history. Both resorts I believe go as far back as the 1800s. ...very family friendly with plenty of activities for all.

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Virginia Resorts, Mountain Vacations & Historic Hotels In Hot Springs VA - The Homestead
Wow, just took a peek at the greenbrier, looks like the White House. Thanks for the suggestions, about to see what they have available

Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
I'd also suggest Keswick, in the Charlottesville area, though I am not sure about accommodations for children. Here's a link to their website: Keswick Hall Resort

ETA: Wintergreen Resort does have accommodations for children, and even specialized things for children. Wintergreen is located in Central Virginia. Here's a link to their website: Wintergreen Resort

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM

184 posts, read 311,332 times
I would like to add maybe check out the Deep Creek Area of far western MD. They have a beach there with picnic tables and grills there, playground, hands on nature center, boating, swimming, rental of boats/jet skis as well up there. It is alot cooler temp wise than say DC/Balto region being up on a plateau atop the Allegany mtns. Also they have Wisp ski resort with a type of roller coaster that winds its way down the mountain, chair lift rides and a new white water rafting adventure on top of the mountain. So much to see and do there. There is some great golf there a fairly new vineyard for wine tasting, the highest waterfalls in MD are a short hike off Rt 219. Lots to do and see and great shops and restaraunts.
Good Luck with your trip

Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Thank-you everyone for your suggestions. I'm going through them all & getting some great ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia