Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaslasher View Post
Even if the orange line was expanded from Vienna to Manassas there would still be problems. The orange line is packed to the gills during rush hour. There is hardly even standing room from DC to West Falls Church during evening rush (it thins out considerably at West Falls Church). I don't know if they can add additional cars or trains, but I wouldn't be surprised if another rail line is needed to handle the increase in capacity.

I don't think there is much room to expand either the Metro (the median ends at the Vienna Metro) or I-66 (no room to add new lanes without ripping into developments along the freeway). Maybe an elevated metro or elevated freeway extension could be added between the freeway, but the cost would be high. It would also be costly to make the metro track underground. But it's too bad they can't turn I-66 into a double decker freeway.

The Post had an article in the Sunday Metro section about future expansions to the DC transit system. Sadly, the paragraph on I-66 had the experts talking about an "express bus system" and turning the HOV-2 lanes into HOV-3. Later in the article, one of the experts did talk about the need to expand the orange line though.
This is my husbands major complaint is how packed the orange line gets. He keeps trying to figure out the best time to leave his office but hasn't gotten it figured out yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
It just gets worse every year. It was bad to begin with but people who started using I-66 on a regular basis the last two years has made it worse. I can remember when during the morning rush, you could expect certain relief on the east bound HOV once you go inside the beltway, but not anymore. Now you can expect heavy traffic all the way.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
It just gets worse every year. It was bad to begin with but people who started using I-66 on a regular basis the last two years has made it worse. I can remember when during the morning rush, you could expect certain relief on the east bound HOV once you go inside the beltway, but not anymore. Now you can expect heavy traffic all the way.
The problem is there aren't exactly a lot of options to get into the city from that part of VA. Maybe another freeway is needed? Yeah having the orange line go out to Manassas would be good but I'm thinking something more express maybe extending the hours of VRE to match the metro's?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:38 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Metro is highly effective, but it's heavy-rail, so it's expensive and time-consuming to construct. Getting Metro out to Dulles and Loudoun County was clearly the #1 priority, and #2 will be clearing up the traffic jam caused by Silver, Orange, and Blue line trains all using the same tracks downtown. That'll take at least a decade to deal with, probably more, so Metro to Manassas is likely a very long way off. Extending VRE out to Gainesville and Haymarket and expanding its physical plant and schedule are probably a more viable option as far as heavy-rail through the Manassas area goes. If properly utilized (and funded) VRE could be pull a lot more commuting weight than it currently does.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:45 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If properly utilized (and funded) VRE could be pull a lot more commuting weight than it currently does.
And hopefully, like most other suburban rail lines of other cities (SEPTA, Metro North, Metrolink (So Cal), MBTA (Mass), NJ Transit, Metra (Chicago), etc) VRE and MARC will one day offer weekend and late night service. Unfortunately, families in parts of Northern VA and suburban MD who wish to take the train into the city for dinner, or a day at the museums are currently out of luck.

Last edited by irvine; 09-28-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say there'd be no congestion at all. The problem with this area is that the methods of transportation both rail and roadways have not kept pace with the growth, over a million people (myself included) have moved to Northern Virginia in the past twenty or so years. More roads PLUS more rail would be the answer.
Yes, but see my Urban Planning thread for a good example of people from this forum with the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it; why don't YOU move?" mentality! As long as the majority of folks here think NoVA is all puppies and sunshine with no need for infrastructural improvements then we're only going to see things get MUCH worse when hundreds of thousands MORE people move here!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasticx View Post
I66 needs a metrorail more than dulles toll road. If there's an orange line going to Manasas, then there's no congestion.
Route 7 up in the Reston/Tyson's area is by no means a rush-hour picnic either. When I have stress in traffic on a WEEKEND on this road then you know it needs relief. I just hope the IDIOTS in Loudoun County who are fighting against the Silver Line don't get their way. If they do, then I want THEM to drive ME to work!

Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM

257 posts, read 565,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Yes, but see my Urban Planning thread for a good example of people from this forum with the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it; why don't YOU move?" mentality! As long as the majority of folks here think NoVA is all puppies and sunshine with no need for infrastructural improvements then we're only going to see things get MUCH worse when hundreds of thousands MORE people move here!
Who says there is no need for infrastructural improvements? I think most people's attitude is "NIMBY, NWMTD" (Not in my back yard, and not with my tax dollars.) There was a referendum a few years ago, something like 0.5% sales tax increase to pay for transportation, and it was voted down.

And I'm in the camp that says the I66 corridor needs VRE expanded VRE service, not metro service (I don't think the orange line can handle many more passengers without some drastic incrase in capacity.) And it would be really nice if VRE did run late into the night and more throughout the day.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Who says there is no need for infrastructural improvements? I think most people's attitude is "NIMBY, NWMTD" (Not in my back yard, and not with my tax dollars.) There was a referendum a few years ago, something like 0.5% sales tax increase to pay for transportation, and it was voted down.

And I'm in the camp that says the I66 corridor needs VRE expanded VRE service, not metro service (I don't think the orange line can handle many more passengers without some drastic incrase in capacity.) And it would be really nice if VRE did run late into the night and more throughout the day.
Exactly. People will whine about the traffic until the cows go home (and WILL see their commute times grow longer with each passing year as more move here), but they do NOT want to pay for improvements. Personally I'm more than willing to pay a new tax to help fund expanded mass transit service, new roads and bridges, etc. Who is supposed to fund this all, exactly? Donald Trump? A Yeti?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:42 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
I agree. Why spend all the money to build for Metro track out to Manassas when the VRE system is already there and ready to go. VRE needs a major expansion in both Manassas and Woodbridge. More trains, extended hours, and it definitely needs to run on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia