U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:52 PM

23,562 posts, read 33,276,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Exactly. People will whine about the traffic until the cows go home (and WILL see their commute times grow longer with each passing year as more move here), but they do NOT want to pay for improvements. Personally I'm more than willing to pay a new tax to help fund expanded mass transit service, new roads and bridges, etc. Who is supposed to fund this all, exactly? Donald Trump? A Yeti?
People wont put their money where their mouth is.

Years ago, there was a ballot for a sales tax increase that would give Hampton Roads a badly needed third water crossing. As you can guess, the measure lost and people in Hampton Roads still whine about crossing the HRBT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM

13,024 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
This is my husbands major complaint is how packed the orange line gets. He keeps trying to figure out the best time to leave his office but hasn't gotten it figured out yet.
Just wait until the silver line starts running. There will be fewer orange line trains then.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM

722 posts, read 1,751,669 times
Ugh, I agree about VRE. I was shocked, when I moved here, to see how limited the service is.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,304 times
"He keeps trying to figure out the best time to leave his office but hasn't gotten it figured out yet."

Before 3 or after 7?
Honestly, the best time to do anything in the DC area is when other people AREN'T doing it....

Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 PM

593 posts, read 2,243,221 times
When it comes to traffic in NoVA (or in any major metro area), we have to realize that we can't build our way out of congestion. Widening highways won't really solve anything in the long term, because as soon as we add a lane, that efficiency will be lost quickly as people recognize that that road is zipping along.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,136,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"He keeps trying to figure out the best time to leave his office but hasn't gotten it figured out yet."

Before 3 or after 7?
Honestly, the best time to do anything in the DC area is when other people AREN'T doing it....
Neither one of those are options, unfortunately in his job he doesn't normally work an 8 hr day more like 10 to 12 hours

Old 11-02-2009, 02:53 PM

993 posts, read 2,187,815 times
So should I have stayed living in Springfield and commuting to D.C.? I left Springfield for San Antonio over a year ago. I was one of those that moved. Now my commute is 19 minutes door to door. I fill my car up with gas once a month. My in-laws live in Manassas, and say that the commute has gotten much worse over the past year. They both use 66, and need to get to DC and Annandale respectively. Father-in-law has to wake at 445am to be at work by 715am.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,844,177 times
I've experienced both 66 and 95, and disagree that 66 is worse. 95 south frequently is pretty solid all the way to Fredericksburg. 66 west, generally speaking, is bad from the beltway to 123, but it almost always breaks loose at Rt. 50 - even during rush hour. It slows down again out toward Manassas due to the merge down.

I used to regularly drive from Alexandria to visit a friend in Centreville, often during rush hour. Normally it took 30 minutes or so with no traffic - with it took 45-50 minutes. That's bad, but it's NOTHING like 95S. Just my opinion.

Why 66 is particularly bad right now - especially eastbound - is the nonsense HOT lane project on the beltway has it so there is virtually no acceleration lane on the ramp to 495N. Thus, people have to stop to merge on the beltway, which backs up traffic for miles.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:45 PM

59 posts, read 144,212 times
I agree that a really good solution to the commuting problem is to increase service on the VRE. The infrastructure is there, so why not use it?

I actually switched from Metro to the VRE half a year ago. It is soooo much more pleasant. The cost is actually cheaper than the Metro for me (no charge for parking). The VRE cars aren't standing room only like Metro, although it seems to be getting more crowded. I believe VRE has working plans to expand service to Haymarket, and they recently started building new locomotives to help with reliability. I hope they add more passenger cars as well once the locomotives are finished.

Still, the schedule is way too limited. On days I have to get to work late or stay late, I'm forced to ride Metro. An expansion in service would encourage a lot more commuters, but frankly VRE needs more tax money to make that happen. I don't see that happening when local governments are fighting big budget problems.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM

80 posts, read 206,614 times
Part of the HOT Lanes project is major improvement to the I-66 interchange. They are going to build a flyover ramp for I-66 East travel to I-495 North towards Tysons and then expand an auxiliary lane all the way to Tysons. That way all drivers heading to Tysons from I-66 will never have to merge onto the Beltway. They are fixing a lot of the merge issues, etc that cause the backups. Whether or not you are ever going to use the new HOV/HOT lanes on the Beltway, there will be improvements to the general purpose lanes as well. It's just going to be a little painful to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia