U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,153,163 times

Advertisements

Is traffic always bad on 66? The last 3 times we have gone out on 66 whether it be when we went out to The Plains or this last weekend out to the Air and Space Museum, coming back in around 5 traffic was crazy. I can't even imagine trying to navigate it during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 05:25 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Is traffic always bad on 66? The last 3 times we have gone out on 66 whether it be when we went out to The Plains or this last weekend out to the Air and Space Museum, coming back in around 5 traffic was crazy. I can't even imagine trying to navigate it during rush hour.
Yes. Even in the middle of the night on a weeknight.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Yes. Even in the middle of the night on a weeknight.
Why is it so bad all the time? I know it is a major interstate but even on I-10 and 25 you have times when it is not so busy.

Saturday it was down to about 30 miles per hour, no accidents and then finally we got to where roadwork was being done (however, not then) and there were alot of people exiting and then attempting to merge on the exit to Baltimore I believe. Crazy and then you team that with crazy drivers and it becomes a bad situation.

NOVA drivers are nuts, why when there are signs about a mile before a road narrows into one lane do the drivers then wait until about 200 yds from the narrowing before they decide to merge? The only conclusion that I can come up with is that they must be way more important than I am and have to be somewhere much faster than me.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:20 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
Yes, it is bad every time I've gotten on it. It used to be that the I-95 South corridor was the worst with I-66 a close second. I think the honor goes to I-66 now, but my friends who live out that way don't like to hear it.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, it is bad every time I've gotten on it. It used to be that the I-95 South corridor was the worst with I-66 a close second. I think the honor goes to I-66 now, but my friends who live out that way don't like to hear it.

Well we are definately more comfortable now with our decision to live either in Woodbridge or Stafford should we come back to NOVA. While 1-95 is busy on the weekends we haven't experienced anything like that while traveling on it. We have been out 95 alot more than 66.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:19 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,076,339 times
Yeah 66 is definitely the worst freeway. There are times when it is beautiful I get on drive and make music. Then there are times where it will just get jam packed for no apparent reason. A lot of times the weekends everyone is heading into the city for fun and it just jams up again for no apparent reason. Believe it or not I have gotten used to it. I also don't use it when I'm going to work despite living right next to it.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 AM

62 posts, read 82,924 times
I66 needs a metrorail more than dulles toll road. If there's an orange line going to Manasas, then there's no congestion.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasticx View Post
I66 needs a metrorail more than dulles toll road. If there's an orange line going to Manasas, then there's no congestion.
I wouldn't go as far as to say there'd be no congestion at all. The problem with this area is that the methods of transportation both rail and roadways have not kept pace with the growth, over a million people (myself included) have moved to Northern Virginia in the past twenty or so years. More roads PLUS more rail would be the answer.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM

722 posts, read 1,755,649 times
66 is just way too small to handle the volume of people who live down that way now.

And the construction where it meets the Beltway is really hurting, too. The ramps to 495 get super backed up, which backs up the traffic on the road.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM

59 posts, read 144,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say there'd be no congestion at all. The problem with this area is that the methods of transportation both rail and roadways have not kept pace with the growth, over a million people (myself included) have moved to Northern Virginia in the past twenty or so years. More roads PLUS more rail would be the answer.
Even if the orange line was expanded from Vienna to Manassas there would still be problems. The orange line is packed to the gills during rush hour. There is hardly even standing room from DC to West Falls Church during evening rush (it thins out considerably at West Falls Church). I don't know if they can add additional cars or trains, but I wouldn't be surprised if another rail line is needed to handle the increase in capacity.

I don't think there is much room to expand either the Metro (the median ends at the Vienna Metro) or I-66 (no room to add new lanes without ripping into developments along the freeway). Maybe an elevated metro or elevated freeway extension could be added between the freeway, but the cost would be high. It would also be costly to make the metro track underground. But it's too bad they can't turn I-66 into a double decker freeway.

The Post had an article in the Sunday Metro section about future expansions to the DC transit system. Sadly, the paragraph on I-66 had the experts talking about an "express bus system" and turning the HOV-2 lanes into HOV-3. Later in the article, one of the experts did talk about the need to expand the orange line though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia