U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,138,153 times

Advertisements

I love that the majority of the grocery stores in NOVA offer a bonus card and double coupons, that is so cool. Just got back from buying groceries and it is so refreshing to see the savings. Plus I finally bought the reuseable bags and you get five cents off for each one of those you use.

Where we live there is only a Super Walmart so I was worried that grocery prices would be outrageous. I do think however if Harris Teeter, Safeway, Giant and Wegmans didn't have the bonus card then it would be alot higher.

Makes me think that even if we move out to Stafford where I will have close access to a Super Walmart I will still buy my groceries at the grocery store.

Sorry I know I am a dork. Maybe I made someone laugh for the day.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I love that the majority of the grocery stores in NOVA offer a bonus card and double coupons, that is so cool. Just got back from buying groceries and it is so refreshing to see the savings. Plus I finally bought the reuseable bags and you get five cents off for each one of those you use.

Where we live there is only a Super Walmart so I was worried that grocery prices would be outrageous. I do think however if Harris Teeter, Safeway, Giant and Wegmans didn't have the bonus card then it would be alot higher.

Makes me think that even if we move out to Stafford where I will have close access to a Super Walmart I will still buy my groceries at the grocery store.

Sorry I know I am a dork. Maybe I made someone laugh for the day.
I've never had the pleasure of the Wegman's Experience but otherwise... yes, while the cost of high supermarket mortgage/rents is passed on to we consumers, at least they do make it easy to save if one is flexible.

I have to admit that I am rather inflexible on some of my food preferences LOL but when the sales do come on those, I tend to load up!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I've never had the pleasure of the Wegman's Experience but otherwise... yes, while the cost of high supermarket mortgage/rents is passed on to we consumers, at least they do make it easy to save if one is flexible.

I have to admit that I am rather inflexible on some of my food preferences LOL but when the sales do come on those, I tend to load up!

We actually went out to the Wegmans in the Fairfax area this weekend, the super big one and it was nice but of course on a Satuday afternoon crowded. I don't have a Wegmans card right now since I don't think there is one closer to where we are at and I am not driving out 66 just to go there. I had to see it though after hearing several on here talk about it.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM

7,907 posts, read 7,240,556 times
I think the Walmarts in Sterling (Rt 28) and Manassas (Sudley Rd) will finish conversion to Supercenters in October. I've heard something along that line with the store in Fair Lakes but they may be talking about a conversion of a BJ's to a Sam's Club.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM

172 posts, read 479,724 times
We ventured out to Wegman's yesterday, along w/the rest of Loudoun Cty., it seems. Of course, our intentions were to pick up just a few items to get us started this week, but instead, we ended up w/a cart running over w/the greatest "stuff". The deli aisle was amazing - I picked up some of the best egg salad I've ever tasted. DH hit the breads & deli meats - we had the most delicious muffins for breakfast today. Anyway - by the time we made full scope of the store, our cart was overstuffed & couldn't hold another item. I just knew we'd hit the $250 + mark, but after we presented the cashier w/our new Wegman's card, the total came to around $175. A very pleasant surprise! Wegman's IS all that! I must add, however, that the large shopping carts will take some getting used to - the bottom part is larger than a "typical" grocery cart - it "sticks out" more. Everytime I turned a corner I knocked something over or ran into someone/something. Guess I'll have to go more often to get practice on those carts.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
We ventured out to Wegman's yesterday, along w/the rest of Loudoun Cty., it seems. Of course, our intentions were to pick up just a few items to get us started this week, but instead, we ended up w/a cart running over w/the greatest "stuff". The deli aisle was amazing - I picked up some of the best egg salad I've ever tasted. DH hit the breads & deli meats - we had the most delicious muffins for breakfast today. Anyway - by the time we made full scope of the store, our cart was overstuffed & couldn't hold another item. I just knew we'd hit the $250 + mark, but after we presented the cashier w/our new Wegman's card, the total came to around $175. A very pleasant surprise! Wegman's IS all that! I must add, however, that the large shopping carts will take some getting used to - the bottom part is larger than a "typical" grocery cart - it "sticks out" more. Everytime I turned a corner I knocked something over or ran into someone/something. Guess I'll have to go more often to get practice on those carts.

I went more to say I had been than to shop so I didn't get a shopping cart but I had to force my husband to leave all the food. I guess the best time to go to get a feel for it, is probably not Saturday afternoon. There were alot of people.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM

722 posts, read 1,752,008 times
Yeah, I like Wegmans, but I cannot stand the weekend crowds. Once I even went on the weekend (Fairfax location) and literally could not find a parking spot. Later I noticed there are signs in the neighborhoods near Wegmans telling people not to park on the residential streets to go to Wegmans. Yikes!

It's really nice on a weekday morning, though.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:27 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,796,798 times
Just stopping by to say hello. I was happy to see someone post that some of the area Walmarts are changing to Superwalmart. When we moved to Hampton Roads 6 years ago, Superwalmart was a brand new thing for me and I love it! The Walmart in Fair Lakes was always so crowded, but I went there because the prices were best for the items they carried.

When you finally see the prices at the SuperWalmart on food you will all be shocked!! In a good way! I buy 99% of my food at Superwalmart because no other grocery store comes close in price. The only item I will usually buy elsewhere, is meat - and that is strictly because meat on sale at a regular store (Food Lion etc) is usually cheaper than the everyday price at Walmart.

I save hundreds of dollars a year by shopping at the Superwalmart compared to what I used to spend at Giant. We were in Las Vegas in June and they even have stand alone Walmart grocery stores - so they are smaller and easier to get in and out of - and the prices were exactly the same that I pay in Virginia. They were awesome.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
I must add, however, that the large shopping carts will take some getting used to - the bottom part is larger than a "typical" grocery cart - it "sticks out" more. Everytime I turned a corner I knocked something over or ran into someone/something. Guess I'll have to go more often to get practice on those carts.
They've only had those carts for a few months - you're not the only one who has trouble with them. I love them because I can sit my 13-month-old twins side-by-side. The only other store that has side-by-side carts is Costco.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,527,369 times
I took one look at those big new carts at Wegmans and decided to give the smaller cart at try. The smaller carts hold significantly more groceries then they appear to. With a little organization yesterday I got about $175 of groceries in one.

My favorite at the deli counter - Columbus brand Rosette de Lyon sausage.

Best weekend time to shop is Saturday before 10 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia