U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 PM

147 posts, read 368,113 times

Advertisements

How's this for a "welcome to the neighborhood":

Bought a new car Memorial Day weekend. I had 60 days to get a city sticker. I saw no urgency, so I didn't get a sticker until toward the end of July. However, I received a notice in the mail dated July 23, saying something to the effect of, "we know you have a car regularly parked in front of your house that doesn't have a sticker, so pay up NOW." I live in a pretty out of the way neighborhood and have never seen a cop or a city vehicle on my street, but if it was the city that sniffed out my car, I would think it would be easy enough for them to run the tag and see that it was less than 60 days old. So I'm left to assume that some busybody reported me via Arlington's "report your neighbor" site:

Report a Tax Evader Problem : Report a Tax Evader : Arlington, Virginia

It was easy enough for me to check the box saying, "the damn car has a sticker on it, so shut up," and mail that back, but what the hell kind of an a$$hat decides they want to give me grief like that? And what kind of a town promotes this kind of stab-in-the-back attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:15 PM

239 posts, read 575,335 times
The people with the Maryland plates finally went away. Otherwise I was going to turn them in. Not because I gave a crap about their tag, but it was to get even with them for standing out in the street and blocking traffic.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,114,283 times
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about it being a neighbor. It was most likely a cop. Cops go everywhere in Arlington looking for the stickers, and they do it very often- probably once a week in some places.

Also, if you bought the car on Memorial Day weekend, July 23 may very well be the day after the 60 day period ran out. Maybe the cop checked your car earlier in the week, noticed it didn't have a sticker and reported it so you'd get a "friendly reminder" in the mail on the day it was due.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:57 PM

261 posts, read 1,173,294 times
I don't think you can assume you were ratted out. It sounds as likely that this was a standard notice produced on the basis of Arlington being informed by the DMV that you had registered a car. The fact that you got it towards the end of the grace period backs that up I would say - you were being given a chance to get the sticker before you were in default (or whatever the expression should me). Even if you were "ratted out" I can understand why people would do it - in NOVA particularly you see an awful lot of cars that clearly belong to residents but aren't tagged and titled in VA and thus don't have parking permits. Personally I find that irritating (although generally too lazy to do anything about it ).

Old 09-30-2009, 03:09 PM

226 posts, read 680,299 times
Let me tell you about an experience that I had in early June involving city stickers. I was visiting my daughter, who was living in a condo near George Mason University campus one afternoon during the weekday. I came out of the condo buidling and proceeded to walk to my car that was parked on the street in front of her building. I noticed this vehicle down the street that looked like a police car that was slowly creeping down the street towards me. I wondered what the heck was going on and was a little nervous. Just as I got into my car the vehicle pulled up beside me and stopped. It was a Fairfax City Parking Enforcement Officer in his police looking vehicle. He proceeded to ask me if I lived in the condo building that I just came out of. My vehicle did not have a Fairfax City decal that is required if you live within the Fairfax City limits. I politely told him, no I'm just visiting my daughter and I live in Fairfax County (no stickers required). I must admit I was rather shocked/ticked off that this happened. My immediate thought was, my God, Fairfax City must be really desperate for tax revenue to have an older gray haired retiree age designated parking enforcement officer riding around/lurking on Fairfax City community streets during the daytime hours attempting to catch violaters!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 PM

147 posts, read 368,113 times
July 23 was 53 days after I bought the car (how could anyone think that Memorial Day weekend to July 23 would be 60 days???). The city did not get a notification from the DMV. The "friendly reminder" was addressed to my wife, who is on the utility bills. The car is registered to me. If a parking officer is creeping through residential neighborhoods looking for un-stickered vehicles, then the least they could do is run the tag to see when it was registered before making a nuisance of themselves. How much money does it cost the city to employ such people? How much money is wasted sending out such "friendly reminders?" This car tax b.s. is one thing I've always despised about Virginia.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,050,925 times
I'm not surprised. I see parking enforcement frequently nosing around my neighborhood looking at cars. They love coming around on Sundays.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,889,243 times
I think it's a GREAT idea....the tax man is using human nature to get his money!

The only thing worse than paying the car tax is watching some slick neighbor getting away without paying it. Like I said...human nature.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:28 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,767,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
July 23 was 53 days after I bought the car (how could anyone think that Memorial Day weekend to July 23 would be 60 days???).
Memorial day was May 25, 2009. Therefore Memorial Day weekend encompases 23-25 May.

31 Days in May, leaving 6-8 days of May after you bought the car.
30 days in June.
23 days in July

30+23+6 = 59
30+23+8 = 61

How could anyone think that July 23 is 53 days after Memorial Day?

Yes, July 23 was at the end ot at least toward the end of your grace period.

eta: I own and live in a house in Maryland (north of Baltimore). Starting in about two weeks, I will be spending 2-3 night a week at a rental in Falls Church. Is someone going to rat me out?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 PM

239 posts, read 575,335 times
I heard the sticker police are out in Loudon County, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia