U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldButtersStotch View Post
Because most people in the area are transplants are from PA, NJ, and NY.
Its hard being a Virginian in northern Virginia, I always feel like I'm the only one.
Got any hard data on that? Believe it or not, there are a lot of native Virginians here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM

23,568 posts, read 33,292,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldButtersStotch View Post
Because most people in the area are transplants are from PA, NJ, and NY.
Its hard being a Virginian in northern Virginia, I always feel like I'm the only one.
If you are in Alexandria most are transplants from another country.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,309 times
Culinarily, at least, NoVA is solidly Mid-Atlantic, not Southern. I've actually found that affluent Southern suburbs and mid-sized towns have more in common with the equivalent communities in the West and Midwest, food-wise, than they do with, say, those in NJ or Delaware. NoVA = per capita, fewer bakeries, fewer upscale-casual (and sometimes even -quick-service) places, fewer salads, fewer cute forward-thinking little snack-y/coffee/tea places that really don't have clear ties to any particular traditional cuisine (they seem to be stuck on "Italian" or "French" in NoVA, when they think "upscale"). Fredericksburg, VA; the Outer Banks of NC; Wilmington, NC; Charleston, SC are all have these sorts of places. There seems to be a gap in this sort of food culture throughout a lot of the Mid-Atlantic - even many of the 'upscale' suburbs of the region's cities - that stops, maybe (maybe!) at (some of) the NYC suburbs, like Westchester County/Chappaqua (where my roommate's ex-gf lives; he insists I'd like it a lot better than NoVA), etc. When I ask about sandwich places around here, people always recommend some deli, whereas I'm looking for a place where I can get a brie-apple sandwich on a freshly-baked baguette with a cup of butternut squash-carrot-nutmeg soup on the side. Or a salad with toasted almond-crusted chevre and house-made blood orange vinaigrette. And where I can order at a counter and have my lunch brought to my table in a couple minutes where I wait with my book and the coffee du jour.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 08-04-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I'm looking for a place where I can get a brie-apple sandwich on a freshly-baked baguette with a cup of butternut squash-carrot-nutmeg soup on the side. Or a salad with toasted almond-crusted chevre and house-made blood orange vinaigrette. And where I can order at a counter and have my lunch brought to my table in a couple minutes where I wait with my book and the coffee du jour.
I've never figured out if this is a demand (lack of sophisticated palates) or a supply (lack of entrepreneurs/high rents) problem. I think it may have something to do with zoning practices which distance eateries from residential areas and put them out onto major roads suited more for strip mall chains. I'm open to other theories. You're right though, the food culture here is sub-par compared to other areas of comparable size and income levels.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
Quote:
. . . When I ask about sandwich places around here, people always recommend some deli, whereas I'm looking for a place where I can get a brie-apple sandwich on a freshly-baked baguette with a cup of butternut squash-carrot-nutmeg soup on the side. Or a salad with toasted almond-crusted chevre and house-made blood orange vinaigrette. And where I can order at a counter and have my lunch brought to my table in a couple minutes where I wait with my book and the coffee du jour.
Okay, it's lunchtime and reading this just made me hungry. And envisioning this scenario? well . . . let me know if you ever find a place like this!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Okay, it's lunchtime and reading this just made me hungry. And envisioning this scenario? well . . . let me know if you ever find a place like this!
Or if you open a place like this! C'mon Alicia, you know you want to!!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
Alicia, try Cafe Parisienne on Lee Highway in N. Arlington. They might not have the arugula rissoto with goat tapanade or whatever it was you were pining for, but they have baguettes and great traditional French food for pretty good prices, in an informal bistro atomsphere.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Or if you open a place like this! C'mon Alicia, you know you want to!!!!
Hee hee... I'm working on it, but at this point it's limited to no-charge service for one in my own kitchen. (My boyfriend won't eat my food, but I don't take that as criticism, since he subsists mostly on Kirkland canned chicken and various GNC supplements.)

Carlingtonian, I love traditional French bistro food (I'd kill for a traditional leaf-lettuce salad with a simple vinaigrette most days), so I will definitely make an effort to try Cafe Parisienne one of these days. The restaurants I have in mind are more 'New American' fusion, though - bakery/cafe/bistro places that that artfully combine Pacific Rim/Mediterranean/French/retro American comfort food elements with a dash of whimsy and perhaps even a sprinkle of crunchy hippie. It's sort of hard to explain, but I know it when I see it.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 08-09-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 PM

660 posts, read 1,499,165 times
Quote:
Carlingtonian, I love traditional French bistro food (I'd kill for a traditional leaf-lettuce salad with a simple vinaigrette most days), so I will definitely make an effort to try Cafe Parisienne one of these days. The restaurants I have in mind are more 'New American' fusion, though - bakery/cafe/bistro places that that artfully combine Pacific Rim/Mediterranean/French/retro American comfort food elements with a dash of whimsy and perhaps even a sprinkle of crunchy hippie. It's sort of hard to explain, but I know it when I see it.

Alicia,

Maybe someone has recommended this place to you already, but have you been to Maple Avenue Restaurant in Vienna? It's in the strangest location (I think it was the original Anita's, several decades ago), but to quote the restaurant's website, "Maple Ave Restaurant serves eclectic American Cuisine in the heart of Vienna, Virginia blending American with Asian, Latin American, French flavors and techniques." That sounds right up your alley!

I can't vouch for it, myself, but some of the Yelpers seem to love it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM

12 posts, read 35,743 times
People will one day play Rebels vs. hispanics. Rejoice when that time arrives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia