U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 PM

3,156 posts, read 8,096,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
pcity: I have been to Philly too. I have never to been to NY so I can't compare it to NY but I definitely thought of Philly first thing when thinking of a place that reminded me of NOVA.
Yeah they're really not that different in attitude. I come from the Philly suburbs and the biggest "people" differences I noticed when I came down here were the racial diversity and lack of natives (i.e. everyone was from somewhere else). If I introduced you to 10 random people from the Philly suburbs and then 10 random people from the NoVA suburbs (assuming all black, white, or Asian since there are few Hispanics in Philly), you'd never be able to tell the difference between them. If I then introduced you to 10 random people from Alabama, I bet the difference would be pretty apparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM

17 posts, read 39,763 times
Quote:
Oh, yea, I know EXACTLY what you're saying about our accents. I don't even know what my accent is...lol. When I was at my preppy high school, my Valley Girl accent was crazy! lol. Everyone thought I was from Cali. But now I have toned it down a bit an dit sounds more ""General American meets Pittsburgese meets California". Great call on that. I always wondered what accent did we have. lol.
Haha well "General American-Pittsburghese-California" was actually just a silly description I created in an attempt to describe my accent as I was born near Cleveland, OH; raised in both CA and IN and half of my family is from the Pittsburgh area; all of which has definitely influenced my form of American English. I guess I should of also included "Upland North" in my description as I picked up some tendencies from my Chicago friends.

All aside, in the short time I've lived here I actually have heard a lot of different American accents. Just on my street alone there's people from KS, CT and NC; and they all have very distinct accents (midwestern, northeastern and southern).

Last edited by worldtravelermsk; 09-30-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 07:21 PM

239 posts, read 574,594 times
I consider it a police state mentality.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,920,013 times
It is NY/NJ without the good food and fun personalities

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM

660 posts, read 1,499,047 times
I don't think people who grew up here over the last couple decades would call this area Southern, so I'm pretty much in agreement with the other posters there.

That said, I don't think this area is necessarily Northern either. Aside from being a little distant and obsessed with education, I don't know what NoVA natives have in common with Bostonians or Strong Islanders. I think if anything, NoVA has a distinct lack of a regional identity. I know we call ourselves part of the Mid-Atlantic, but good luck getting anyone to define what that actually means, culturally-speaking.

As a kid in the 1980's, though, I remember going to Prince William County from Fairfax and thinking it seemed a lot more Southern. But that feeling is long gone.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,138,890 times
As a temporary resident here, with family from the south, I can say that there is nothing about NOVA that remotely resembles a southern state.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 PM

154 posts, read 445,946 times
Smile What up, NOVAians!

LOL! I have had so much fun reading you all's post. It was meant to be kind of a silly post and it's fun to hear about good ol' NOVA.

jaunespinoza, I have heard how the police get down in NOVA so I see not much has changed. If anything, from the stories I am reading, the police presence seems to have gotten worse. My sister has been in Alexandria for about a month...MAYBE and she already got a ticket from this cop who waited for her to go insider with her 3 kids before giving her a ticket for being parked past some sign or something like that. She called...livid. I was like, wow! That's the city for you tho.

I really like that, worldtravelermsk. I need to figure out a specific accent for me...lol. Maybe I'll say "Alabamaish-California-New Jersey with a dash of NC and GA"...lol. I moved so much my whole life that I pick up accents fairly well if I am somewhere for too long. Heck, even by the time I left Belgium, I could do the French accent pretty well. Not so good with it now tho...lol.

pcity: Your example is so true! I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either if someone was from philly or NY. But if they are from GA or AL, I would just know that they aren't from NOVA...lol. I dated this guy from NY and he was always talking about NY but otherwise, he looked like a native NOVAian....lol.

I guess b/c everyone is from somewhere else, it really would be hard to say that person is from CT or that person is from Philly unless they are from the South which I guess means that we don't really seem to act that Southern. If you think about it, how can people act Southern when they are around so many transplants that often come from the northern states? Those are the type of people I grew up around anyway. I had friends from NY, NJ, Philly and Conneticut (some of the states I can remember), my mom's BF was from NY and I dated guys from NY. I actually thought I was one of the few people who was a transplant tho b/c I came to VA as a military brat and a lot of people seemed to be born and raised in VA. But looking back on it, a good deal of my friends did have military parents. VA does have the most Army bases in the country so that could also account for the diversity.

Awesome posts, folks! Keep 'em coming...lol. Some of you guys' posts are too funny...lol.

FairfaxMom, do you hail from NY/NJ? I'm sorry that we don't seem to be fun enough for you. I know my family is crazy tho...lol. Parties and barbecues every weekend. Which brings me to another thread that I might create later on in the week...

Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 AM

24 posts, read 74,765 times
I think it depends on where you're from. My college roommate, from Lynchburg, said, "Ya'll in Northern Virginia aren't really part of Virginia. You're way too liberal for one." On the other hand, to all my relatives in Chicago, we're the cute Southern people and they think we sound like it too.

Would that we Northern Virginians had a northern mentality when the snow starts to fly. Or threatens to fly...

Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 AM

182 posts, read 475,192 times
It seems like people who are from north of here think NOVA is the south, and people who are from the south of here think NOVA is the north. Because this region is so hard to define, the term "Mid Atlantic" is used. IMO, NOVA is a definite mix of the two and shouldn't be considered either northern or southern. As a native NY'er, this region is definitely NOT the north!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
As a temporary resident here, with family from the south, I can say that there is nothing about NOVA that remotely resembles a southern state.
What about the Cracker Barrel in Manassas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia