Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM

154 posts, read 502,261 times

Advertisements

I fell into the MD thread by accident when I clicked on a link at the bottom of a NOVA topic that I thought would have similar information to what I was already reading about.

And someone asked if the people of MD felt like MD had a southern mentality and do they see MD as the South. I guess they were asking if MD acted like a state in the south (e.g. GA, AL, Mississippi). Or if the MD culture was like that of the deep south's culture? Like where people drink really sweet Iced tea and hunt, etc. And I know people hunt everywhere but those are the best examples I can think of right now...lol.

I was born in AL but only lived there for about 3 years then moved to NJ then VA (hazard of being a military brat...lol).

I constantly have this argument with people though because they say VA is the south but I consider it the East Coast. I know that "technically" we are the South because of the Mason Dixon line but we don't act like Southerners in NOVA and I don't see why I should agree to be a type of culture that I am not. I think southern VA is more like the deep south. I remember when I used to go to VA beach, it seemed like the culture became more southern.

I don't really associate myself with the deep South mentality because where I grew up in Manassas, no one acted like how people in the South act. My mom's fam is from AL and my dad's is from Louisiana, so I know.

People acted (and still act) like they are from up north in Manassas. I had never thought about any of this when I was growing up. Then some people who usually had never been to NOVA would say stuff about VA when I went in the Army. But I had always seen myself as being from the East Coast and that was it.

Ok, so I wanted to know...How does everyone else see NOVA? And just VA in general? And why? And which parts do you think are the most like the deep South?

Also, do you think we should call ourselves Southerners and consider ourselves Southerners even though we don't act like the people from the deep South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,366,359 times
Nope.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Nope.
I agree! I thought it was just me and so I thought I'd ask you all's opinions.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,341,017 times
Aside from the street names ("Jefferson Davis Highway", "Lee Highway"), I consider NoVA just as northern as Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,766,788 times
NOVA, not necessarily.
Edit: I certainly wouldn't call NOVA really northern either. Mid-Atlantic.

The rest of Virginia, most definitely.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM

26,679 posts, read 41,525,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAChick View Post
I fell into the MD thread by accident when I clicked on a link at the bottom of a NOVA topic that I thought would have similar information to what I was already reading about.

And someone asked if the people of MD felt like MD had a southern mentality and do they see MD as the South. I guess they were asking if MD acted like a state in the south (e.g. GA, AL, Mississippi). Or if the MD culture was like that of the deep south's culture? Like where people drink really sweet Iced tea and hunt, etc. And I know people hunt everywhere but those are the best examples I can think of right now...lol.

I was born in AL but only lived there for about 3 years then moved to NJ then VA (hazard of being a military brat...lol).

I constantly have this argument with people though because they say VA is the south but I consider it the East Coast. I know that "technically" we are the South because of the Mason Dixon line but we don't act like Southerners in NOVA and I don't see why I should agree to be a type of culture that I am not. I think southern VA is more like the deep south. I remember when I used to go to VA beach, it seemed like the culture became more southern.

I don't really associate myself with the deep South mentality because where I grew up in Manassas, no one acted like how people in the South act. My mom's fam is from AL and my dad's is from Louisiana, so I know.

People acted (and still act) like they are from up north in Manassas. I had never thought about any of this when I was growing up. Then some people who usually had never been to NOVA would say stuff about VA when I went in the Army. But I had always seen myself as being from the East Coast and that was it.

Ok, so I wanted to know...How does everyone else see NOVA? And just VA in general? And why? And which parts do you think are the most like the deep South?

Also, do you think we should call ourselves Southerners and consider ourselves Southerners even though we don't act like the people from the deep South?
Born in SC, raised in Hampton Roads, VA.

Trust me, NoVA is not even remotely Southern.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM

17 posts, read 45,075 times
Outside of NOVA, Virginia definitely takes on a very southern feel. The rest of Virginia was, once upon a time, the heart of the south and the Confederate States. However, today I would definitely define VA as a transitional state between the Mid-Atlantic and the South.

I think the Mason-Dixon line definition has faded away due to migration patterns dating back to the 1950s. Culture-wise, NOVA has become just as "Mid-Atlantic" as MD/DC and has also become a part of the Megalopolis metropolitan area conglomerate which stretches up to Boston. As for a more modern-day line to reflect these changes, I think the independently created "Sweet Tea Line" is a more representative definition (http://eightoverfive.com/SweetTea.swf)

We have to take into account that VA is a relatively large state that is oddly drawn. Without factoring in traffic, a person who lives in NOVA could actually drive to NYC in the same time that it would take to reach Wytheville, VA, a town that's not even near the westernmost extent of VA; which lies parallel to Detroit, MI. I think that alone explains why NOVA has a bit of stronger connection with the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. But that's not to say that there are some fragments of the South that still remain in NOVA, such as roads/schools named after Confederate generals and old confederate battlefields. But the sheer amount of kabab and pho places along with the many different languages spoken here make me feel like I'm in an area that's not all too different from melting pots like NYC/San Fran/etc.

I think this definition of NOVA by Professor Robert Lang from Virginia Tech (taken from a Washingtonian article) best describes the area:

"It’s as though the New Jersey suburbs were grafted onto South Carolina"

As for me, I don't really consider myself a southerner even though I live in a traditionally southern state. My accent is "General American meets Pittsburgese meets California" and none of my family lives remotely close to the South. However, I do love my biscuits and sweet tea from time to time.

If you want to experience the truly southern parts of VA, definitely hit up Richmond - it's almost a mecca of everything southern. I would even venture to say that closer places like Fredericksburg and Winchester still retain their original southern character.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:57 PM

Smile I knew it! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelermsk View Post
Outside of NOVA, Virginia definitely takes on a very southern feel. The rest of Virginia was, once upon a time, the heart of the south and the Confederate States. However, today I would definitely define VA as a transitional state between the Mid-Atlantic and the South.

I think the Mason-Dixon line definition has faded away due to migration patterns dating back to the 1950s. Culture-wise, NOVA has become just as "Mid-Atlantic" as MD/DC and has also become a part of the Megalopolis metropolitan area conglomerate which stretches up to Boston. As for a more modern-day line to reflect these changes, I think the independently created "Sweet Tea Line" is a more representative definition (http://eightoverfive.com/SweetTea.swf)

We have to take into account that VA is a relatively large state that is oddly drawn. Without factoring in traffic, a person who lives in NOVA could actually drive to NYC in the same time that it would take to reach Wytheville, VA, a town that's not even near the westernmost extent of VA; which lies parallel to Detroit, MI. I think that alone explains why NOVA has a bit of stronger connection with the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. But that's not to say that there are some fragments of the South that still remain in NOVA, such as roads/schools named after Confederate generals and old confederate battlefields. But the sheer amount of kabab and pho places along with the many different languages spoken here make me feel like I'm in an area that's not all too different from melting pots like NYC/San Fran/etc.

I think this definition of NOVA by Professor Robert Lang from Virginia Tech (taken from a Washingtonian article) best describes the area:

As for me, I don't really consider myself a southerner even though I live in a traditionally southern state. My accent is "General American meets Pittsburgese meets California" and none of my family lives remotely close to the South. However, I do love my biscuits and sweet tea from time to time.

If you want to experience the truly southern parts of VA, definitely hit up Richmond - it's almost a mecca of everything southern. I would even venture to say that closer places like Fredericksburg and Winchester still retain their original southern character.

Wow! What a great response! Thanks to all of you all's responses. I knew I wasn't losing it...lol. I would get so mad when ppl would try to say I was something I didn't feel like I was.

The Mason-Dixon line is what ppl throw in my face to try to say how "Southern" VA is. I felt that it was an irrelevant and dated explanation myself but didn't really have any proof or argument against it.

I am going to read the "Sweet Tea Line", such a cute name for it..lol.

My friend's family lives in Richmond and it was a lot more southern feel. I was only there for about a day visiting her grandfather but it looked kind of like the South that I know.

pcity: I have been to Philly too. I have never to been to NY so I can't compare it to NY but I definitely thought of Philly first thing when thinking of a place that reminded me of NOVA.

And I agree, I like the Mid-Atlantic description better which is why I always considered myself from the East Coast and not from "up North." Even tho I do feel that the NOVA culture identifies more with people who are from up north.

Melting pot is also another favorite description of my beloved DCMDVA, the Metropolitan area.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Smile NOVA Accents

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelermsk View Post

Oh, yea, I know EXACTLY what you're saying about our accents. I don't even know what my accent is...lol. When I was at my preppy high school, my Valley Girl accent was crazy! lol. Everyone thought I was from Cali. But now I have toned it down a bit an dit sounds more ""General American meets Pittsburgese meets California". Great call on that. I always wondered what accent did we have. lol.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,194,943 times
NoVa? Absolutely not, not even back in the late 70s when I moved here from North Carolina.

But I used to get that feeling of the South just by driving Route 1 into Woodbridge. I don't sense that so much anymore.

I thought Manassas was southern. Not Alabama-southern, but certainly people in Manassas at least used to consider themselves southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia