U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM

154 posts, read 447,003 times

Advertisements

We're moving to NOVA soon and I was looking at GS jobs but got some advice to look at contract jobs first. I am having a hard time finding the Contractors that might be hiring. I got some good websites and SAIC but I was wondering if anyone knew which Contractors are hiring in NOVA and DC? I would prefer to stay in NOVA because of where we plan to move so a shorter commute but I would consider DC if I had to.

I am an IT analyst/Network Administrator. My husband is looking also and he is a computer programmer/network administrator.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 PM

5,334 posts, read 6,140,281 times
All the big names and plenty of small shops are here because of the Federal jobs. Either of you have a security clearance?

Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com

Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM

330 posts, read 751,178 times
Use the washingtonpost.com's job section and monster.com. At least 50% to 60% of the IT jobs posted are all government contract jobs.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM

Smile Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Use the washingtonpost.com's job section and monster.com. At least 50% to 60% of the IT jobs posted are all government contract jobs.

That's awesome. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
All the big names and plenty of small shops are here because of the Federal jobs. Either of you have a security clearance?

Security Clearance Jobs - ClearanceJobs.com

I had one that lasped when I got out the Army and had to go to college and not work b/c there were no IT jobs in the middle of nowhere, Fayetteville, NC.

My husband is just getting out of the Army so his is still active.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,769,992 times
I just heard an ad on WTOP for an IT contractor job fair. Of course i lost part of the name in the elevator. JNVC? It started with J, ended with C, had four letters, and I'm 90% sure one of the was V. Maybe that enough for google? The job fair is oct 6 in Vienna. I know you aren't here yet, but I'm giving you everything I remember to help you google, and there was a "call us if you can't be there" option

Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 AM

2,711 posts, read 6,264,230 times
I'm been government contracting for the last 10yrs in the NOVA area. I've found my last jobs through Monster.com. I've found that the headhunter will find you faster than you finding a job on your own. If you get picked up by a headhunter, you'll usually get offered a job as a 6 months to perm. You work for the headhunter for 6 months contracting at whatever companies site, then if the the company likes you, they will transition you to a full time employee with the company.

You two won't have a problem finding IT jobs in this area

Old 10-01-2009, 06:36 AM

Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I just heard an ad on WTOP for an IT contractor job fair. Of course i lost part of the name in the elevator. JNVC? It started with J, ended with C, had four letters, and I'm 90% sure one of the was V. Maybe that enough for google? The job fair is oct 6 in Vienna. I know you aren't here yet, but I'm giving you everything I remember to help you google, and there was a "call us if you can't be there" option
Ok, thanks.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 AM

Default Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I'm been government contracting for the last 10yrs in the NOVA area. I've found my last jobs through Monster.com. I've found that the headhunter will find you faster than you finding a job on your own. If you get picked up by a headhunter, you'll usually get offered a job as a 6 months to perm. You work for the headhunter for 6 months contracting at whatever companies site, then if the the company likes you, they will transition you to a full time employee with the company.

You two won't have a problem finding IT jobs in this area
I am having issues b/c my clearance lapsed and the Contract jobs I am looking at want me to have an active clearance time I start. This is why I wanted more Contractor options but this is what I am typically finding.

What is a headhunter? Do they just find your resume? I just created my resume on monster. Did you fill out all the extras to be selected? The site has changed a lot since I last saw it and they have a lot of "future goals" types of things on there...lol.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 AM

2,711 posts, read 6,264,230 times
I've never had a clearance and it hasn't stopped me from finding IT admin positions. I worked at the SEC for 7 yrs all with just a confidential clearance that I got while working there. My current position is at an even larger and well known gov't entity and still no clearance. Yes a secret or even better a ts/sci would be great, don't limit your searches if you don't have one.

Companies use headhunters to find potential candidates to fill positions. The company offloads the work to find the candidate. The headhunter normally pre-screens the candidates before bringing them to the company. Company interviews the candidate and lets the headhunter know they want to have the candidate work onsite. The candidate works directly for the headhunters while contracting to the company on an interim basis. After 6 months or whatever the terms are, the company can choose to hire the candidate directly on a permanent basis. We did this at my last company because if we ended up not liking the candidate, it was much easier to get rid of them by calling the headhunter and saying it's not working out. It's much tougher to fire a full time employee, way too much paper work and appeal process.

To be honest I haven't update my monster account in two years so I'm not sure. I'm not sure if everything is visible to people searching for resumes. You can also make your resume not searchable so the only exposure it gets is when you apply for companies yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia