U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:57 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times

Advertisements

NOVA is not a good indicator for the rest of the country. Sure, many of the SAHMs in the NOVA area have "opted out" but they are the minority for the rest of the country and the census reflects that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,920,013 times
A lot of the SAHMs have husbands that make so much money they dont have to work - even though they are "highly educated" -

Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 PM

258 posts, read 769,949 times
I guess it depends on the definition of "highly educated"- most Nova (and Vienna moms) appear to have bachelors. As for experience to make that bachelors command a decent salary- that is a different story for what I have encountered (my own personal experience- flame away but everyone has their own- and there are also exceptions- but exceptions do not make a norm). I found most had bachelors and were pretty lower level (not even necessarily by youth- meaning by 30s were making not this huge amount of money). The stay at home versus not work was obviously not an overwhelmingly compelling reason. As for motivation- for what I saw- most of these moms who would not miss out that much on working vs staying in the workforce actually didn't want to work anyway. They were pretty junior and weren't "opting out" of that much in a sense. They just didn't want to work in a professional environment. As for those who defend how mothering is a job- I also saw moms- there are those who shuffle the kids from grandmas/preschools etc. and basically have a LOT of free time off.

So flame away- I;ve done it all- stay at home, work from home p/t and now have a great f/t job close by that is super family friendly and i am in a senior enough position to take time to go my kid's preschool activities etc. Dh has a decent job that if the economy hits hard can propel us into his not being employed again.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,119,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
A lot of the SAHMs have husbands that make so much money they dont have to work - even though they are "highly educated" -
BINGO!!! I know 5 SAHM's who are attorneys. They don't have to work, their husbands make buckets of money. Another friend has an MBA and another a PhD. They're all at home, for now. ALL of the SAHMs I know have graduated from college and the majority have graduate degrees.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:10 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,209 times
I have a Master's and I'm a SAHM. My husband makes twice what I was making when I was working. If our salaries were switched, then he would be the one staying home. We live comfortably on his salary; we both feel it is more important for one of us to stay home with our babies than to have the extra income. I would return to work if our circumstances were to change - I'm just incredibly lucky that I don't have to right now.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 AM

280 posts, read 911,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post

Yes, most SAHMs do not have graduate or professional degrees and didn't give up elite careers, because most women (most people, actually) do not have graduate or professional degrees or elite careers. (If everyone did then by definition they wouldn't be "elite.")
Good point. The number of women for whom staying at home would be opting out is the minority.

Those elite are also probably more tempted to work than others--more money, prestige, interesting work, to balance the costs of child care and time missed.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:44 AM

722 posts, read 1,752,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
Good point. The number of women for whom staying at home would be opting out is the minority.

Those elite are also probably more tempted to work than others--more money, prestige, interesting work, to balance the costs of child care and time missed.
Yes, exactly. I was pulling in $40K as essentially someone's secretary when I got pregnant with my first. Staying at home seemed to make sense, if that was what I was giving up. If I was pulling in three times that much doing something interesting and meaningful, my decision would have been different.

All of the SAHMs I've met in NoVa do have at least a Bachelor's degree. But NoVa has more college graduates than most places; having a Bachelor's here really doesn't mean very much. But across the U.S., still only something like 26% of adults over 25 have a Bachelor's. If you're looking at the nation as a whole, I'm pretty well-educated, with a Bachelor's from UMD. If you're looking at the DC area, though, I'm hardly good enough to wait tables

Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 AM

715 posts, read 1,866,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Yes, exactly. I was pulling in $40K as essentially someone's secretary when I got pregnant with my first. Staying at home seemed to make sense, if that was what I was giving up. If I was pulling in three times that much doing something interesting and meaningful, my decision would have been different.

All of the SAHMs I've met in NoVa do have at least a Bachelor's degree. But NoVa has more college graduates than most places; having a Bachelor's here really doesn't mean very much. But across the U.S., still only something like 26% of adults over 25 have a Bachelor's. If you're looking at the nation as a whole, I'm pretty well-educated, with a Bachelor's from UMD. If you're looking at the DC area, though, I'm hardly good enough to wait tables
You have a totally valid example...a SAHM b/c of her baby where if you worked, most of your income would be going to child care.

The question is for SAHM who do have kids in full day school and are at home just to stay home. It doesn't matter how much the husband is making, there's always more to be made.

It must still be boring to stay at home when it's not necessary, and for the record, not all attorneys have glamor jobs in the big firms working 100+ hours/week, and not all people with MBA's can get a job.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 AM

30,102 posts, read 67,199,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post

I believe 70% of the adults over age 25 in Reston possess at least a Bachelor's Degree, and I believe this percentage, while amazing, might be even higher in some other more affluent locations.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 AM

715 posts, read 1,866,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
BINGO!!! I know 5 SAHM's who are attorneys. They don't have to work, their husbands make buckets of money. Another friend has an MBA and another a PhD. They're all at home, for now. ALL of the SAHMs I know have graduated from college and the majority have graduate degrees.
Seems like the degree of most value in these examples is the Mrs. degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia