U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM

5,210 posts, read 9,110,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
I'm sure they would.

But, if these SAHM's are attorneys, mba'ers, PhD'ers, etc. with professional degrees (not just bachelors) by training, they are better served working in their educated profession to help out the county budget woes vice being a lunch room parent or hall monitor, if all possible.

In the end, it's about personal choice, but to gloat that these highly educated SAHM's (whoever they are since no persons were singled out) don't have to work b/c of hubby's buckets of money is silly and nonproductive.
I'm not clear on why a family decision like this one is any of your business in the first place.

If a family is self supporting and can make it on one income, why shouldn't a woman have the option of staying at home with her children (or a man with his)? If they're meeting all of their own personal and financial obligations on one income, why shouldn't a spouse stay at home with the (even school aged) kids?

I'm not sure I understand why this is so controversial for you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM

715 posts, read 1,867,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Live Strong, you obviously don't have a clue about what goes on in the real world during the day; there are a multitude of organizations, including schools and way beyond, that rely heavily upon daytime volunteers. Many of these organizations are doing valuable work that governments can't or won't do and saving you tax dollars in the process. In fact one of the reasons tax burdens and people's personal budget expenses have gradually increased over the years is that people need to be paid for things that volunteers used to do because fewer volunteers are available. People (including occasional posters here) like to complain about the high cost of child care, including after-school care, yet don't consider how much more it would cost if the demand went up due to more people in the paid workforce. People, especially here, LOVE to complain about traffic and how crowded Metro and that would be even worse if everyone in the world was commuting during the day. And ever wonder where a large number of school-age children end up on snow days, two-hour-delay days, early dismissal days and teacher work days while their parents are at work, or when they forget their keys they use to let themselves into the house after school? Value in life goes well beyond paychecks.
You obviously have no clue what is being discussed here and need to stop making excuses for people who don't need you to or want you to make excuses for them.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
What is silly and nonproductive is for you to start a thread that seeks to caricature SAHMs and ends up by acknowledging, as most of us knew already, that "in the end, it's about personal choice." Yankeesfan nailed it.

And who says SAHMs or working dads, for that matter, can't obtain a professional degree and decide later in life that working in the related profession isn't what they want to do for the rest of their lives? It's very myopic to suggest otherwise. The notion that we should be offended if a JD decides to raise children at home or an MBA decides to become a minister is exceedingly strange.
Oh, how unusual for you to take a statement out of context and go run off the cliff with it.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitova View Post
So are you saying that the number of jobs available in the economy is based on the number of people who choose to work? Because that's not what I've been seeing in the papers. You seem to feel that women staying home are robbing us of tax dollars. But there are only so many jobs out there. If all these women went back to work, those jobs would not go to others who might need them more.
Oh wow, I didn't know of how charitable people can be to stay out of the workforce so that others may work instead.

If all the women put themselves back into the job market, what you would have is the best candidate for jobs who would increase work place efficiency and would actually help turn around the economy...not someone who got a job because the competition took themselves out of the running to be charitable.

Quote:
During this time I dedicated countless volunteer hours to my son's schools. I worked in the classrooms, the library and spent two years as PTA President for our California elementary school. We raised over $400,000 for our school for technology, school supplies, library materials, teacher training, etc. We helped fundraise at the District level for money for science, music and art teachers. You can't tell me the teachers weren't grateful for these contributions. Our Board members included former attorneys and high level professionals. Forgive the long post, but it really ticked us off not to be considered "contributing members of society" by people who couldn't be bothered to spend the time to get to know what was going on their own schools.
As I've said already, which you apparently didn't read, it's great that parents are volunteering at school and raising funds. Unfortunately, it has absolutely no effect on bringing in more teachers or decreasing class size or helping renovate and expand schools so that kids don't have to be housed in trailers. That money, comes from budgets which are funded by tax dollars...not bake sales.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm not clear on why a family decision like this one is any of your business in the first place.

If a family is self supporting and can make it on one income, why shouldn't a woman have the option of staying at home with her children (or a man with his)? If they're meeting all of their own personal and financial obligations on one income, why shouldn't a spouse stay at home with the (even school aged) kids?

I'm not sure I understand why this is so controversial for you..
Check yourself. I've said earlier, I totally agree that its better for non school aged kids to have a parent at home to take care of them until they are ready for school.

I don't buy into the BS logic that people with graduate and professional degrees don't work so that others may work, unless they are communists.

If people can't compete for a job, and survive and take care of their families, then they will leave this state for other areas with a lower cost of living and less competition. That's what capitalism/free market society is about.

The good state of Virginia needs everybody to be working...the budget needs you.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM

31 posts, read 65,533 times
Quote:
Oh wow, I didn't know of how charitable people can be to stay out of the workforce so that others may work instead.

No, I wasn't implying that women stay home so that their jobs can charitably be given to others. I was pointing out that there are not enough jobs to go around. The "real" unemployment rate (when you count all the people who want to work full time, but can only find part time work, or have given up entirely on finding a job) is something like 16%. So for you to sit here and say educated women aren't doing their part by working and paying taxes, where are all these jobs going to come from? I don't see a lot of companies screaming that they can't find lawyers and MBA's to fill their jobs. If the people who need jobs have them, and the people who don't need jobs serve the community in other ways, isn't that a win-win?

Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,046,748 times
"I don't buy into the BS logic that people with graduate and professional degrees don't work so that others may work, unless they are communists.

If people can't compete for a job, and survive and take care of their families, then they will leave this state for other areas with a lower cost of living and less competition. That's what capitalism/free market society is about.

The good state of Virginia needs everybody to be working...the budget needs you."

In a free society, it is up to individuals to determine the extent of their participation in the labor market.
In a communist society, the state makes those decisions for you -- often with rhetoric very similar to your last sentence above.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:11 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,501 times
Live Strong sounds rather defensive. Not surprising. Live Strong, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and donate a larger chunk of your salary to the government to fund these assorted needs, and start a movement to have others do the same? Also, I really didn't understand your response to my statement; feel free to clarify.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,501 times
Quote:

The good state of Virginia needs everybody to be working...the budget needs you.
Last I looked the good state of Virginia had not put you in charge of dictating what everyone should do.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
No, I wasn't implying that women stay home so that their jobs can charitably be given to others. I was pointing out that there are not enough jobs to go around. The "real" unemployment rate (when you count all the people who want to work full time, but can only find part time work, or have given up entirely on finding a job) is something like 16%. So for you to sit here and say educated women aren't doing their part by working and paying taxes, where are all these jobs going to come from? I don't see a lot of companies screaming that they can't find lawyers and MBA's to fill their jobs. If the people who need jobs have them, and the people who don't need jobs serve the community in other ways, isn't that a win-win?
It's a win win if all able bodied individuals work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia