U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,647,207 times

Advertisements

Yes, I actually mean people live in Caroline County and now commute to DC. Caroline is still quite rural, though I think EricD lives in Caroline at Ladysmith and could provide more insight there.

Annnnnd believe it or not, there are actually brave souls that live in Richmond and commute to DC via Amtrak and even car (or driving to the VRE station in Fredericksburg).

I think eventually, the DC and Richmond areas will begin to touch, but it's still hopefully a few years off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM

67 posts, read 503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Yes, I actually mean people live in Caroline County and now commute to DC. Caroline is still quite rural, though I think EricD lives in Caroline at Ladysmith and could provide more insight there.

Annnnnd believe it or not, there are actually brave souls that live in Richmond and commute to DC via Amtrak and even car (or driving to the VRE station in Fredericksburg).

I think eventually, the DC and Richmond areas will begin to touch, but it's still hopefully a few years off.
Wow, I think it is getting there.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:37 PM

429 posts, read 1,691,924 times
Quote:

Amazing, how does these people have a life?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 PM

738 posts, read 3,562,473 times
Quote:
:P I am gone from the boards for like 2 days, and people talk about me

But yeah, a decent amount of people in my community work in Northern VA. The guy behind me works a night shift in DC... rides his bike in.

I was born and raised in Spotsylvania... when I was born, the population was like 30,000, if that. Now it's something like 130,000, and growing. It's too late for them to try to organize the growth. There are subdivisions all along back country roads... the back roads are now way over-crowded, and the county is using bonds to widen them. Most of the growth happened along the north side of the county, along Rt. 3, but now the massaponax area, near exit 126 is exploding, since the area around Rt. 3 is basically out of land... development on Rt. 3 has literally gone from I-95 all the way to the battle fields (the only things keeping the sprawl from going further)

I personally think Caroline is doing a much better job handling growth, and the taxes/home prices are better too. Also, from my house, it takes me 20 minutes to drive to where Rt. 3 intersects I-95... and it can easily take longer than that from some areas in Spotsylvania... just because the roads are so crowded.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 PM

429 posts, read 1,691,924 times
Why is it too late to stop the sprawl?
Enact the laws today and stop selling out to developers.

Is Spotsylvania's and Caroline's rural character really at risk or not that bad, what about Stafford is it long gone the way of PW County?
Were are all these people in Spotsylvania commuting to....DC?
Again how can they do so and actually have a life?

I find it hard to believe more than a handful in Caroline would do so, also where in VA do you being to get Richmond TV stations, papers along with DC thanks.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:35 AM

33 posts, read 146,926 times
Default spotsylvania

When I moved to Spotsylvania in the 90s there were 60,000 residents in the county, central park was a farm and that guy who lives between the hardees,courthouse road and a parking lot didn't know how much his property would really be worth. When I moved away there were 115,000 resident which I read was the third fastest growing county behind Loudon and Stafford. But even with those 55,000 transplants you still can't go 2 minutes without seeing that old confederate flag in the back of a pick-up truck. The southern half of the county is still very rural. I remember something like Spotsylvania enacting an ordinance that would require lots sold to be 5 acres in size to control the sprawl. Has anyone heard what ever came of that?

Old 05-20-2007, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 19,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringgold View Post
When I moved to Spotsylvania in the 90s there were 60,000 residents in the county, central park was a farm...
The Central Park property was a farm until the late '60s. More recently it was a golf course for the Sheraton (now Holiday Inn Select) until the CP development began.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:35 PM

738 posts, read 3,562,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Why is it too late to stop the sprawl?
Enact the laws today and stop selling out to developers.
Umm... because anywhere within 15 minutes of the highway or Rt. 3 has already been developed. It's too late, because all the land that is left is either too far from the highway to be worth developing, or it has been added to one of the battlefields. When they build the new exit off of I-95 south of Massaponax, THEN they'll need to containt he sprawl that'll happen there... but it sounds like with the summitt development by tricord homes, as well as the technology center and hospital going in, there won't be any free land left to protect from sprawl anyways.
:P

Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 PM

268 posts, read 1,553,989 times
Development has also been planned and approved for years in the future. You cant' just stop it now. It's not just a simple "just stop the growth". It doesnt work that way. Infrastructures, businesses, homes have all been planned and the economies are built around those plans. And, no one is "selling out" to developers. Individuals are selling the land they've owned for generations to provide for their families futures. Areas are zoned to allow business growth which allows for the economy to grow. It's all entertwined. It's very simplistic and somewhat ignorant to say "just stop it". If you want to see an area go into a recession/depression, then that would be the way to do it.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,557,882 times
To my knowledge, the current Board of Supervisors is committed to capping growth at 2% per year, and it is my understanding that is close to happening. Of course, as Ashbrn mentioned, it takes a while for their actions to be reflected, as developments are approved years before construction begins.

And tberg, as I sit here typing this, I am watching WRIC out of Richmond. I cannot speak for the city of Fredericksburg, but I live in Spotsylvania and receive cable services from Comcast. I get both Richmond and Washington networks, which is great. And as someone who grew up south of Richmond and grew up watching Richmond stations, I like that I am able to get Richmond channels. That is the main reason I will not switch to satellite. As for the paper, can't help you there. I keep the Fredericksburg paper to stay current on local issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or