U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 PM

429 posts, read 1,693,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
Development has also been planned and approved for years in the future. You cant' just stop it now. It's not just a simple "just stop the growth". It doesnt work that way. Infrastructures, businesses, homes have all been planned and the economies are built around those plans. And, no one is "selling out" to developers. Individuals are selling the land they've owned for generations to provide for their families futures. Areas are zoned to allow business growth which allows for the economy to grow. It's all entertwined. It's very simplistic and somewhat ignorant to say "just stop it". If you want to see an area go into a recession/depression, then that would be the way to do it.
It needs to be controlled, Spotsylania is supposed to be a nice, rural prestine area with civil war history and most people don't want it engulfed like Manassas with ugly sprawl for the realtors to ca$sh in on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 03:45 PM

268 posts, read 1,555,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
It needs to be controlled, Spotsylania is supposed to be a nice, rural prestine area with civil war history and most people don't want it engulfed like Manassas with ugly sprawl for the realtors to ca$sh in on.
You have a lot of issues with goverment and rules. Why don't you run for office and really try to make a difference? And, as for realtors, they don't make that much on a sale. It's landowners, developers, and the government (in the form of taxes) who make the money on these land deals.

Realtors have to split their commissions with the other realtor and then their broker gets most of what's left.

BTW, who told you what Spoltsylvania is "supposed" to be like? It is what it is and will become whatever it will.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:21 PM

738 posts, read 3,565,900 times
Quote:
You make a point, except that about 3/4 of the people living in Spotsylvania didn't live there 10 or 20 years ago, meaning that if they don't like the development, they are hypocrites, because they are a part of it. Also, a lot of the local residents have moved to other counties to escape the sprawl...

Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
You have a lot of issues with goverment and rules. Why don't you run for office and really try to make a difference? And, as for realtors, they don't make that much on a sale. It's landowners, developers, and the government (in the form of taxes) who make the money on these land deals.

Realtors have to split their commissions with the other realtor and then their broker gets most of what's left.

BTW, who told you what Spoltsylvania is "supposed" to be like? It is what it is and will become whatever it will.
Bull.
Real estate agencies are KEY lobbists in Richmond and in local supervisor elections that fund developers and developement friendly legistlation.

I have a problem with VA in general in terms of their views on crime (posturing vs. reality) and their laws with development.

I have seen Loudon County, Prince William be at one time really nice, rural places into being ugly photocopied developements that completely deface the entire landscape and bring about massive traffic and pollution with little to no regard for that and the once asthetic beauty.

If you like seeing neon McDonald signs and townhomes turning up like weeds, that's your perogitive.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
You make a point, except that about 3/4 of the people living in Spotsylvania didn't live there 10 or 20 years ago, meaning that if they don't like the development, they are hypocrites, because they are a part of it. Also, a lot of the local residents have moved to other counties to escape the sprawl...
Great point which furthers my point, once you have developement like Northern Virginia it completely engulfs the entire region and transforms it.
Suddenly the community of 1000 working to preserve the rual beauty is outnumbered by newcomers who don't care.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Great point which furthers my point, once you have developement like Northern Virginia it completely engulfs the entire region and transforms it.
Suddenly the community of 1000 working to preserve the rual beauty is outnumbered by newcomers who don't care.
Which is why I said it was too late to stop the sprawl in Spotsy.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Which is why I said it was too late to stop the sprawl in Spotsy.
Everybody has a different definition and perspective, maybe you can help clarify.

Is Spotsylvania still rural, is it developed and surburban, or both?

I remember in the late 90s driving through Snell and seeing open space, forests, and farms.
I recall last year driving off I-95 through Spotsylvania and seeing it be rural aside from the Massanapox Route 1 exit.

To me it seems Spotsylvania is overall a rural county but with some areas, like Massapanox, that have become quite developed or swelled.
In others most of the area and land is rural, and due to it being far away from DC and protected with the battlefields, the county shouldn't be transformed into all suburbia like PW or Loudon BUT some patches have swelled into more sprawl.

Does that sum it up?
In other words overall rural, but a few swelling patches, but nothing like what's happened in Loudon in terms basically every piece of land developed and no rural character in the east left?

Also, there is plenty that can be done.
Locals there before and those who moved to Spotsylvania for the country can lobby the local government to control new developements with stricter guidelines, smart growth, to protect the county's character and charm.

Fairfax, PW, and East Loudon are so lame and ugly, lacking any flavor, and the shame is they used to be beautfiul and green.
Hate to see Spotsylvania, a way out county, not learn.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:08 PM

268 posts, read 1,555,288 times
Quote:
Bull.
Real estate agencies are KEY lobbists in Richmond and in local supervisor elections that fund developers and developement friendly legistlation.

I have a problem with VA in general in terms of their views on crime (posturing vs. reality) and their laws with development.

I have seen Loudon County, Prince William be at one time really nice, rural places into being ugly photocopied developements that completely deface the entire landscape and bring about massive traffic and pollution with little to no regard for that and the once asthetic beauty.

If you like seeing neon McDonald signs and townhomes turning up like weeds, that's your perogitive.
Um, I think you mean real estate developers, not real estate agencies. There is a big difference. Also, why do you live here if you don't like it? And as I said above, if you want change, you need to get involved instead of complaining all the time.

On second thought, if you're going to tell people that where they live is "lame" maybe you better not run for office. I personally think you are just someone who likes to stir things up.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Everybody has a different definition and perspective, maybe you can help clarify.

Is Spotsylvania still rural, is it developed and surburban, or both?

I remember in the late 90s driving through Snell and seeing open space, forests, and farms.
I recall last year driving off I-95 through Spotsylvania and seeing it be rural aside from the Massanapox Route 1 exit.

To me it seems Spotsylvania is overall a rural county but with some areas, like Massapanox, that have become quite developed or swelled.
In others most of the area and land is rural, and due to it being far away from DC and protected with the battlefields, the county shouldn't be transformed into all suburbia like PW or Loudon BUT some patches have swelled into more sprawl.

Does that sum it up?
In other words overall rural, but a few swelling patches, but nothing like what's happened in Loudon in terms basically every piece of land developed and no rural character in the east left?

Also, there is plenty that can be done.
Locals there before and those who moved to Spotsylvania for the country can lobby the local government to control new developements with stricter guidelines, smart growth, to protect the county's character and charm.

Fairfax, PW, and East Loudon are so lame and ugly, lacking any flavor, and the shame is they used to be beautfiul and green.
Hate to see Spotsylvania, a way out county, not learn.
I'd say maybe 1/2 the county is rural, but only because it is too far from I-95. Spotsylvania is a fairly large county... over 400 square miles. But with a population that has grown about 4 times what it was only 25 years ago, I don't see how, as a county over-all, you could ever even try to go back to how it was then.

As for the area right against I-95, of course it's mostly trees... most people don't want to live right next to the highway... by that logic, Stafford would be one big forest.

Parts of all of the counties you listed have areas that seem like they're in the middle of no-where. PW, Loudoun, and even Fairfax... (especially the first two) The area west of Dulles airport (around Watson), Great Falls, ever been down Gunston Rd. in south-eastern Fairfax? Aden Rd. in western PW? It would be hard to develop ALL of Spotsy, even if developers and county administrators both wanted too... It's too much land. And who cares if only the areas far from the highway are rural? They're rural just because they're far from the highway... that isn't rural preservation, that's just the way real estate works.

I'm not disagreeing with you 100%... I just like posting (There's no other interesting threads to me right now)

Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I'd say maybe 1/2 the county is rural, but only because it is too far from I-95. Spotsylvania is a fairly large county... over 400 square miles. But with a population that has grown about 4 times what it was only 25 years ago, I don't see how, as a county over-all, you could ever even try to go back to how it was then.

As for the area right against I-95, of course it's mostly trees... most people don't want to live right next to the highway... by that logic, Stafford would be one big forest.
Basically then, any area convenient to I-95 or major roads is suburban, only areas in the backroads are rural and only as long as they remain inconvenient?
That stinks, I thought Spotsy had some development but was still overall rural not just rural in tucked away spots.

Also, when you drive on I-95 from Triangle north you see TONS of buildings and development next to the highway...it's convenient and area which is truly suburban and developed would have so much demand it's spill over by the highway...even if it was commerce.
Same on I-66 it's all built up in Fairfax but after Haymarket you see trees.
This is why Stafford and Spotsy appear much more rural than PW and Fairfax and why I wonder if when you say suburban and sprawl we have different contexts.

Quote:
Parts of all of the counties you listed have areas that seem like they're in the middle of no-where. PW, Loudoun, and even Fairfax... (especially the first two) The area west of Dulles airport (around Watson), Great Falls, ever been down Gunston Rd. in south-eastern Fairfax? Aden Rd. in western PW? It would be hard to develop ALL of Spotsy, even if developers and county administrators both wanted too... It's too much land. And who cares if only the areas far from the highway are rural? They're rural just because they're far from the highway... that isn't rural preservation, that's just the way real estate works.
Aden, yes, that is rural because extreme West PW near the Fauquier line IS rural.
Watson, used to be as did all of route 50 until lately.
Gunston, never been but there is a big wildlife area there which is why it's undeveloped.

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you 100%... I just like posting (There's no other interesting threads to me right now)
Hey if I can get insight that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or