U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,053,033 times

Advertisements

I work in Shirlington and love the area. Don't worry about trying to live there its super expensive. I've been looking for a place in the area actually so if anyone knows a cheap place give me a holler but seriously Shirlington is awesome. Me and my coworkers are always walking to some restaurant there or the Harris Teeter for lunch. On that same street as Carlyle there's like a dozen other places to eat or drink. Oh and at Carlyle try the lemon marange martini really tastes just like lemon marange pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I lived in Fairlington Villages when the plans to renovate Shirlington were adopted in the '70s/80s. Arlington was pushing to maintain a certain historical architecture in the area consistent with Fairlington Villages, Park Fairfax, and Shirlington proper. Unfortunately, a little slice of Alexandria crosses Shirley Hwy and abuts Shirlington, and the city did not cooperate with Arlington regarding plans for an office building on the Alexandria parcel. The outcome is the out-of-place, glass-and-chrome high rise btw Shirlington and Shirley Hwy. Too bad, because if this were the situation today I'm guessing that Alexandria would have demanded a different architecture for that building given what has happened in the remake of the nearby historic Del Ray section of Alexandria. Which leads me to mention Del Ray as another area to stroll and partake of ethnic restaurants and shops.
HA! That's where I work. Don't knock a building that provides folks jobs. Actually I like the building. Besides, the other apartment buildings around Shirlington don't match the brick architecture either so it'll be okay. I think it works. Except for the really long light to leave the garage when I'm getting off work.

The building is actually on the border. The address is Arlington but Alexandria police and fire departments serve the building. Yeah, weird.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,804,480 times
We were in the area today, so stopped by the Village for a little Sunday afternoon break. Very pleasant, and the lemon meringue pie lived up to the praise.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We were in the area today, so stopped by the Village for a little Sunday afternoon break. Very pleasant, and the lemon meringue pie lived up to the praise.
Aw shucks I'm glad. Was that not yummy? Makes me thirsty for one but alas need to go back to bed and try to get 2 minutes of sleep before Manic Monday kicks my tail.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:02 AM

10,592 posts, read 12,064,067 times
Shirlington is no secret. Always been a cute place and can get very busy at times.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:24 AM

8,746 posts, read 10,659,521 times
We have enjoyed Shirlington since we moved to the area in 1993 (back then we lived in Park Center and were much closer). back then there was a Best Buy where the movie theaters are now - apparently before that it was a super market. It was nice even when it was less filled out, and is nicer now. We looked at moving there not that long ago, but with our DD still at home the price/space ratio didn't work. We might consider moving there someday, now that we are empty nesters.

Secret areas - I know you dont like Crystal City, but have you checked out the 23rd street area across route 1 from CC?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:51 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,630,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Secret areas - I know you dont like Crystal City, but have you checked out the 23rd street area across route 1 from CC?
That's the block with a gay bar, a strip club, and an infinite number of Italian restaurants.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:57 AM

8,746 posts, read 10,659,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
That's the block with a gay bar, a strip club, and an infinite number of Italian restaurants.

We haven't been in a while, but tended to prefer Saigon Crystal, I think it was called. Quite a variety of ethnic restaurants, and a nice little ice cream place that has changed hands several times.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:28 AM

2,669 posts, read 4,513,472 times
Those with sensitive stomachs may want to check out the Arlington Co. plans to redevelop the Crystal City area, post-BRAC. Based on the County's success in other areas, I would say that it has a good shot at transformation.

See p. 6 of this civic association newsletter:

http://aurorahighlands.org/_Media/news2010_10.pdf

Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

2,669 posts, read 4,513,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Shirlington is no secret. Always been a cute place and can get very busy at times.
Yes, it has been as described for at least 10 years. Carlyle in particular is always busy because the food and service so consistently good, and reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia