Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:42 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times

Advertisements

I just ate dinner there (at the Carlyle - wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was where the other people wanted to eat), and - wow! - cuteness!! A little string light-lined (semi-)secret walkable haven - I was in heaven!! Apparently, it's even a historic pedestrian mall - it opened in 1944 as the Shirlington Shopping Center (it's no Country Club Plaza, for those of you who know anything about the surprisingly walkable KCMO, but still):

The Village at Shirlington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even a little indie toy store (One Two Kangaroo) with a giant Playmobil figure in the window. (I'm such a sucker for little indie toy stores, it isn't even funny.) It looks like they've had some pretty ok restaurants there for awhile, but they're starting to get some unique retail mixed in, which is vital to the kind of area they're aspiring to be. Mind you, though, I couldn't live there, since a very high population density bothers me more than any other potential flaw to an area.

Any other "secret" little areas like this in NoVA that I should know about? (Outside of Church St. in Vienna, "Old Town" Fairfax City, "downtown" Clifton, and any of Alexandria's secret areas, that is. I was underwhelmed by Falls Church City - did I need to go several blocks north [from Broad St.], or such?)

(Oh, and just for the record, Crystal City makes me want to hurl.)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 10-01-2009 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 06:33 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I just ate dinner there (at the Carlyle - wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was where the other people wanted to eat), and - wow! - cuteness!! A little string light-lined (semi-)secret walkable haven - I was in heaven!! Apparently, it's even a historic pedestrian mall - it opened in 1944 as the Shirlington Shopping Center (it's no Country Club Plaza, for those of you who know anything about the surprisingly walkable KCMO, but still):

The Village at Shirlington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even a little indie toy store (One Two Kangaroo) with a giant Playmobil figure in the window. (I'm such a sucker for little indie toy stores, it isn't even funny.) It looks like they've had some pretty ok restaurants there for awhile, but they're starting to get some unique retail mixed in, which is vital to the kind of area they're aspiring to be. Mind you, though, I couldn't live there, since a very high population density bothers me more than any other potential flaw to an area.

Any other "secret" little areas like this in NoVA that I should know about? (Outside of Church St. in Vienna, "Old Town" Fairfax City, "downtown" Clifton, and any of Alexandria's secret areas, that is. I was underwhelmed by Falls Church City - did I need to go several blocks north [from Broad St.], or such?)

(Oh, and just for the record, Crystal City makes me want to hurl.)
Glad to see that you enjoyed Shirlington! Ironically, I've been to the Country Club Plaza area in Kansas City, MO but have yet to visit Shirlington. I thought the Plaza was cool... but I think it may be unfair to compare anything of that scope to what's available in NOVA. What equivalents to Shirlington might there be in Johnson County, KS aka the "Fairfax County" of the KC metro? Perhaps Georgetown would be a more appropriate comparison IMO.

And yes... Crystal City does seem to known more for its utilitarian purposes than its aesthetics.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-02-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-02-2009, 08:56 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
Del Ray in Alexandria and Reston Town Center are both pretty nice.

If you really like Shirlington, but not the high density keep in mind that the area is surrounded by Fairlington. Fairlington is mostly garden style condos and townhouses and is within walking distance of Shirlington.

Another couple of cool things in that area is that there are two big bike trails, the W&O canal and Four Mile Run; a art house movie theatre, a public library if you need to use the internet or want to check out a book or DVD; and probably the best theatre group in NOVA, the Signature Theatre.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:15 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post

There is also one in the Brambleton Town Ctr:

Educational Toys, learning,independent, creative, imagination
I love Go Bananas! They also have a second location in Lansdowne.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Shirlington sounds really cute, I'm going to have to check it out.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

27 posts, read 79,662 times
I recommend the Guapos Tex Mex restaurant. Good fajitas and service. Gets a little crowded on the weekends.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:24 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,705 times
I lived in Fairlington Villages when the plans to renovate Shirlington were adopted in the '70s/80s. Arlington was pushing to maintain a certain historical architecture in the area consistent with Fairlington Villages, Park Fairfax, and Shirlington proper. Unfortunately, a little slice of Alexandria crosses Shirley Hwy and abuts Shirlington, and the city did not cooperate with Arlington regarding plans for an office building on the Alexandria parcel. The outcome is the out-of-place, glass-and-chrome high rise btw Shirlington and Shirley Hwy. Too bad, because if this were the situation today I'm guessing that Alexandria would have demanded a different architecture for that building given what has happened in the remake of the nearby historic Del Ray section of Alexandria. Which leads me to mention Del Ray as another area to stroll and partake of ethnic restaurants and shops.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmeister71 View Post
I recommend the Guapos Tex Mex restaurant. Good fajitas and service. Gets a little crowded on the weekends.
Also try Aladdin's for Lebanese. You can also order catered stuff from them too. However, if you order party plates from them beware....the party tray of hummus for 10 people serves more like 100 (it was more hummus than I've ever seen in my life!). It was good, but after 3 weeks my roommate still doesn't want to eat hummus. The baklava platter is amazing, though.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
the party tray of hummus for 10 people serves more like 100 (it was more hummus than I've ever seen in my life!).
Hahahaha, the Humongous Hummus that Ate Juniperbleu... sounds like a B movie for late night t.v. Or maybe the beginning of a very strange dream....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia