U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,145 times

Advertisements

I checked realtor.com and for my price range 500,000-600,000 or so, the houses looked really nice.

However reading this forum, I noticed the word "crime" keeps popping up. I checked

http://www.city-data.com

and did note the higher rate of "sexual offenders" (200 in Manassas vs 2 in Fair fax station!).

Can someone tell me if the houses shown on this page (Oct 5, 2009):

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-520000-600000

are in a relatively crime-free area? Is the overall city getting better or worst? I read somewhere that 30% were illegal immigrants?

I plan to commute to SW DC and do not mind a 40 minute commute..I rather have a nice newer house than an old and small place in Annandale, Burke or etc.

Any sort of help, specially from the residents of the area is greatly appreciated. Also how many percent can I get off a house that is listed at say 600,000?

ps. Note I went through the archives and could not find the answer to my question with the houses I have in mind (are they in a decent neighborhood?)

Last edited by maxfarsh; 10-05-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 13,825 times
There are plenty of nice places in Manassas - though like anywhere else there is a criminal element. The high rate of registered offenders has to do with the Prince William County courthouse and detention facility being within the City limits. Criminals must list an address and many use the jail.

There are several very nice neighborhoods to consider - the Owens Woods area, Robnel, Wellington, and Old Town Manassas are all worth considering.

LC

Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,145 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the explanation on the SO numbers. I'll double check that, it did seem ridicolously high. What about VALLEY VUE and ELLIS PLANTATION ?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM

239 posts, read 575,369 times
40 minutes to SW DC? Double that and you would be getting close. 500-600 in Manassas would be crazy, IMHO. You are not going to get nearly as much appreciation being at the high end of an area.
If I was making good money working in Manassas, say at LMT, I would consider spending 250K in Wellington. It might be worth 350K in 7 years. Just remember, Manassas is a lot more blue collar than other area of NoVa.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,486 times
Default I work this area everyday

Hi there,

I live in the Lake Ridge area and most of my clients drive to DC and it takes them 40 minutes up to an hour. Now if you are looking at homes in what we call "Middle County" that's the area from Hoadly Rd to Liberia most of those homes are on acreage. What I would suggest is when it comes time and you are narrowing down your search to a home, call the police department or just google the neighborhood.

When most people read and see someone ask a question about Manassas they are thinking the Business District and the Rt 28 cooridor. You have several options for commuting. For example if you are looking at the Ellis Plantation or homes in Blooms Crossing the VRE is less than two miles away. You can also take Yates Ford Rd to Clifton to Rt 123 up to the Fairfax County Parkway to get to work, or the PW Parkway to I-95. The communte from Hoadly Rd is about an hour, from Ellis Plantation if you drive can be close to 90 minutes on rainy days.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-06-2009 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: real estate advertising; please refer to the Terms of Service

Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,667,483 times
My husband does a REVERSE commute from Vienna (1 mile from I-66) to Manassas and it takes him 35-45 minutes. I cannot imagine it will only take 40 minutes in traffic going with the traffic flow.

Personally, if I had $500K-600K to spend on a home, I would not choose Manassas. Yes, you will get a bigger, nicer home than in other places for the money but take the advice of the old real estate adage, "location, location, location." There are many nicer places to buy a home for that kind of money. Just my opinion.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 PM

183 posts, read 615,827 times
It's barely an hour to DC on a Saturday with light traffic, and if you're further into Manassas, that means you'll need to add into your equation as well. Seriously, if you're going to pay 500-600k, and like that area, I would go with Bristow/Haymarket/Gainesville instead. There are some serious bargains out there.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM

982 posts, read 3,106,084 times
I live in Bristow and love it here. You're not going to totally escape crime anywhere. My car has been vandalized twice...people assume because it's a nice car that I'm an idiot and keep valuables in it. I'm not happy about it, but as long as I don't have a garage to park my car in, and the economy remains the way it is, it's something I have to deal with. There is also a registered sex offender or two here. But I still consider this to be a safe area. Your best bet is to contact the state police. They're a lot more reliable than any of us can be, and they won't "spin" the situation to make it worse or better than it actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfarsh View Post
I checked realtor.com and for my price range 500,000-600,000 or so, the houses looked really nice.

However reading this forum, I noticed the word "crime" keeps popping up. I checked

http://www.city-data.com

and did note the higher rate of "sexual offenders" (200 in Manassas vs 2 in Fair fax station!).

Can someone tell me if the houses shown on this page (Oct 5, 2009):

Manassas real estate & Manassas homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®

are in a relatively crime-free area? Is the overall city getting better or worst? I read somewhere that 30% were illegal immigrants?

I plan to commute to SW DC and do not mind a 40 minute commute..I rather have a nice newer house than an old and small place in Annandale, Burke or etc.

Any sort of help, specially from the residents of the area is greatly appreciated. Also how many percent can I get off a house that is listed at say 600,000?

ps. Note I went through the archives and could not find the answer to my question with the houses I have in mind (are they in a decent neighborhood?)

Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 PM

280 posts, read 912,905 times
I live in Manassas.

It gets a bad rap, because NoVA is largely about "upscale" and Manassas is anything but that. More working class, less yuppie, more ethnically diverse.

It doesn't have the cache of the closer in areas (Fairfax, Vienna, etc.) nor the new, sanitized feel of further out (Gainesville, Bristow, Haymarket).

I'm happy here, but given your budget and commute, I'm not sure why you'd select Manassas over the many nice communities closer in. I think it's fine crimewise etc but I wouldn't commute over an hour each way for it.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 AM

656 posts, read 1,272,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My husband does a REVERSE commute from Vienna (1 mile from I-66) to Manassas and it takes him 35-45 minutes. I cannot imagine it will only take 40 minutes in traffic going with the traffic flow.

Personally, if I had $500K-600K to spend on a home, I would not choose Manassas. Yes, you will get a bigger, nicer home than in other places for the money but take the advice of the old real estate adage, "location, location, location." There are many nicer places to buy a home for that kind of money. Just my opinion.
I agree, which is why prince william county homes along with manassas and stafford have fallen 40% (50% from peak) although it may have crept back up 5%.

There is obvious a reason, is the seller selling the home at a loss or maybe he/she is asking more than its worth. Location is definitely key, other NOVA areas fell but much lower at 20% for example.

http://novabubblefallout.blogspot.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or