U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM

56 posts, read 182,945 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Reston from Salt Lake City, where there is obviously a LOT of snow. I don't particularly love the snow as an adult but I really loved playing in it as a child and we want our daughter to be able to have SOME kind of snow experience. Does it snow enough to build snowmen? Does the snow stick or does it melt quickly? What is it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM

437 posts, read 1,074,649 times
Although DC has experienced less snowfall in recent years, we typically have a couple of "big" (8" or more) snowstorms every winter. A lot less than you're used to, but you should definitely be able to build some snowpersons and go sledding.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:28 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,804,983 times
One of the reasons I left Nova was because of the miserable winters (I love the warmth and beach). There can be alot of snow or very little. The biggest problem with snow is not the 'snow' - it is the traffic and trying to get the plows out to clear things up. So if it starts snowing during the day, the ride home will be miserable. However, an overnight snow can mean no school and sleeping in!

For the real answer to your questions, the snow can be a wet snow or a dry snow - there can be either. The ground temp matters too. If it has been above freezing for a while and then you get a snow, it usually turns into a slushy mess. The ocean currents in the area cause a whole mixture of winter weather - which is unlike out west. Certainly you will get some snow to play in during the winter .

Oh, and as a newbie to the area.... you will quickly learn about the masses of people who rush to the grocery store to buy every gallon of milk and loaf of bread when they call for 2"!!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:58 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,943,371 times
There is hardy any snow in NOVA - mostly ice - maybe west of here there might be some snow?

Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM

593 posts, read 2,246,366 times
I grew up in the Boston area and now live in NoVA, and winters in NoVA are definitely "mild" compared to other parts of the country.

There will be 2" of snow on the ground, and people will be running for the bread and milk. It's actually quite comical to watch. Just try to stay off the roads...there are tons of accidents and people sliding off the roads when it snows here, since many aren't used to driving in it.

Will your daughter be able to have the occasional fun snowstorm to play in? Yes.

Will you be able to get in good skiing around here? Not so much.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:02 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,961,595 times
Inadequate. Hardly ever enough to have any fun with!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 PM

257 posts, read 499,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Inadequate. Hardly ever enough to have any fun with!
I grew up in the upper midwest. It snows enough to be a royal PITA, but not enough to have fun with. It usually warms up enough during the day to make things all wet and slushy just to freeze again at night.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 PM

734 posts, read 1,733,495 times
I have to laugh at StacyLee's post. NoVA's horrible winters?!? I moved from North Central Illinois, and endured some fun days when the high temp was -4 with a nice -15 to -20 windchill as you skidded across icy sidewalks and parking lots. Now, last winter may have been fairly mild, NoVA's winters are nothing compared to Northern Illinois or Utah.

What you and your daughter can expect are predictions of flurries every week or so in January or February (maybe a few dustings in December/March); 1-2" snows that melt quickly once or twice a month; and possibly, possibly, a decent 4-6" snowstorm. A 10"+ snowstorm is very, very rare. Of course, location can affect your snowfall signifcantly. Last winter, one snow event dropped just 1-2 inches in Woodbridge but I believe ~5-7 inches in Maryland.

Bottom line: You are not guaranteed to have good packing/playing snows even once per winter. So, if and when they occur, make sure you and your daughter take full advantage of them. Childhood winters pass too quickly.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,079,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
I have to laugh at StacyLee's post. NoVA's horrible winters?!? I moved from North Central Illinois, and endured some fun days when the high temp was -4 with a nice -15 to -20 windchill as you skidded across icy sidewalks and parking lots. Now, last winter may have been fairly mild, NoVA's winters are nothing compared to Northern Illinois or Utah.

What you and your daughter can expect are predictions of flurries every week or so in January or February (maybe a few dustings in December/March); 1-2" snows that melt quickly once or twice a month; and possibly, possibly, a decent 4-6" snowstorm. A 10"+ snowstorm is very, very rare. Of course, location can affect your snowfall signifcantly. Last winter, one snow event dropped just 1-2 inches in Woodbridge but I believe ~5-7 inches in Maryland.

Bottom line: You are not guaranteed to have good packing/playing snows even once per winter. So, if and when they occur, make sure you and your daughter take full advantage of them. Childhood winters pass too quickly.
See it's about perspective. Last winter was fairly mild? Huh? That was COLD! This Georgia boy was way too ready to head home last winter. I can honestly say that I've never been so cold in my life.

It snows here but no it's not like colder places where there's snow cover all winter. It snows a few times during the winter and that's about it but it still gets cold.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM

3,286 posts, read 10,585,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
See it's about perspective. Last winter was fairly mild? Huh? That was COLD! This Georgia boy was way too ready to head home last winter. I can honestly say that I've never been so cold in my life.
Last winter was a little weird. Overall it was mild, but we had a good number of weeks there with really cold temperatures, like it was making up for lost time or something. I remember going out with 3 scarves on my head (one for the head, one under the coat, one wrapped around to hold it all together) for about a month. I also walk to work, so maybe I noticed it more.

As for snow, it typically is more wet than dry, since the ground is often warmer. Maybe once or twice you'll get a "good" snow that dumps a few inches and sticks around for a day or two. Typically it seems to melt pretty quickly, if it ever sticks in the first place. There are a good number of flurries though, which are pretty. It's always funny watching people freak out over a 5" "blizzard" though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia