Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 05:32 PM

462 posts, read 1,209,915 times

Advertisements

Northern Virginia Custom Made Suits & Menswear | Davelle Clothiers

Reston Town Center. Just know of them...not anything about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:12 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,504 times
I definitely recommend Sofios Sofio's | Custom Tailor Suit Alterations in the DC Area

They recently moved into a new store in Tysons Corner. When I was retiring from the military they gave a clothing / dress for success class for us. Fantastic folks, great presentation, and extremely easy to talk with. Everything they do is custom made. Of course it helped that they gave discounts for retiring military but I wound up buying 2 suits, 5 dress shirts and 5 ties for around $2,000. If I needed to wear a suit at work more often I would definitely go back to them!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM

304 posts, read 1,018,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Northern Virginia Custom Made Suits & Menswear | Davelle Clothiers

Reston Town Center. Just know of them...not anything about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Thanks for the recommendations!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM

38 posts, read 70,481 times
I would hit up Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off-5th Ave outlet stores, as a previous poster had suggested. The Nordstrom Rack sells a boatload of Hugo Boss suits, most of which is made in the USA. They are a good "daily beater" suit to wear. Sometimes you can find Hickey Freeman suits for sale for about $600. I have a few that I wear on my formal "suit" day occasions. All of the Hickey Freeman suits I have are tailored with the piece of canvas stitched between the suit cloth, not the typical glue fused method you will see with the more cheaper mass produced suits....and I bought them all from the Nordstrom Rack and Off-5th Ave.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 PM

617 posts, read 1,355,685 times
I know the OP is old, but for what it is worth, I was visiting family in Annandale today and passed a place at the corner of Little River Turnpike and Backlick Road called Francis and Murphy. They had an advertisement out for a sale they were running, two shirts, two ties, two suits, $500. Looks like a small independent shop, might be a hidden gem, I have no idea. Figured I'd pass it along.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:55 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,718,275 times
Wow--the above is a very good deal, even for off-the-rack (assuming it's quality brands).

Interesting article about the store: http://annandale.patch.com/groups/bu...pletes-remodel

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,110,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I definitely recommend Sofios Sofio's | Custom Tailor Suit Alterations in the DC Area

They recently moved into a new store in Tysons Corner. When I was retiring from the military they gave a clothing / dress for success class for us. Fantastic folks, great presentation, and extremely easy to talk with. Everything they do is custom made. Of course it helped that they gave discounts for retiring military but I wound up buying 2 suits, 5 dress shirts and 5 ties for around $2,000. If I needed to wear a suit at work more often I would definitely go back to them!
For custom clothes, this is a really great deal. Do you know what type of discount you were receiving as a military vet?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
Yesterday, I visited Bruno Cipriani at White Flint Mall in Rockville, MD. I was rather surprised to find a "fine suit" retailer in a mall. Normally, you just find the garden variety, mass produced suits in chain shops. Cipriani, on the other hand, has very high quality goods.

I'd like to own at least one high-quality suit for major interviews, meetings with higher executives, and the such. Unfortunately, like most middle-income earners in the US, buying a fine suit is quite an investment.

In terms of quality and price, would anyone have any recommendations for other fine suit retailers in the DC Metro area? I live in Fairfax, so NoVa is ideal, but I'd be willing to drive anywhere within a 50-mile radius.

Obviously, I've found Bruno Cipriani, but I'm wondering what other options are out there, so I have some ability to make informed comparisons. I am also the type of person who never wants to pay more than he has to, so I'm curious if I can find a finely-made suit at a better price. (Mall stores often seem to have significant mark-ups over other stores.) Of course, it's possible that Cipriani truly is the best value --- but I want to be more informed before coming to that conclusion.
If you are looking for one "special occasion" suit, I suggest going for top quality (yes, the trained eye - and sometimes even the casual eye - can easily spot a cheap, poor quality suit). The good news is that there are plenty of places to get a top notch designer suit at a reasonable price; you just have to know where to look, and be willing to go from place to place before you find the right suit. Some places where I've had good luck in the past include:

Last Call (outlet for Neiman Marcus) - Mosaic District in Merrifield/Fairfax, Potomac Mills outlets in Woodbridge, Arundel Mills near BWI, or one on Rockville Pike
Barney's New York Outlet - Leesburg outlets
Off Fifth (outlet for Saks Fifth Avenue) - Potomac Mills outlets in Woodbridge or Arundel Mills near BWI

Be prepared to shell out $500-$700 even at an outlet, but in that price range you stand a chance to walk away with a suit that originally sold for $2000+ in the department store.

Be warned that many of the suits (along with all types of merchandise) sold at outlets are made specifically for the outlets, and never made it into the stores. Outlet stores have taken off from a way to offload returns, imperfects, seconds etc. to a whole business of their own. That being said, if you know what to look for there are still some great finds. For suit brands, keep your eye out for Hart Schaffner Marx, Piatelli, Hugo Boss, Armani, Zegna, Burberry, etc. Skip anything that has a house/store label, and be sure to check the fabric specs. to ensure you're not buying a cheap poly-blend version of a nicer wool suit.

Oh, and please stick with navy blue or gray. No black for a business suit. Black is for funerals.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
For custom clothes, this is a really great deal. Do you know what type of discount you were receiving as a military vet?
I'm sorry but it was almost three years ago and I don't think I even knew then what the prices would have been without the discount.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 PM

304 posts, read 1,018,817 times
OK, I'm not the OP but I did revive this thread a few weeks ago and thought I'd share an update.

I went ahead and ordered the Bonobos slim fit suit I mentioned before online with a coupon code for 20% so I got pants and a jacket for about $548 including free 2-day shipping...

It.

Fits.

GREAT!!!

Honestly if felt like the suit was made like a glove just for me, no excess material where it was not needed. Jacket tapers nicely in from the shoulders, just had to get the pants bottoms tailored since they come extra long, but the 30" waist I specified was spot on.

We'll see how it fares on my upcoming business trip to Asia so I can give it my full recommendation.

Anyways, thanks again for everyone's suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia