Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM

608 posts, read 1,707,999 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I visited Bruno Cipriani at White Flint Mall in Rockville, MD. I was rather surprised to find a "fine suit" retailer in a mall. Normally, you just find the garden variety, mass produced suits in chain shops. Cipriani, on the other hand, has very high quality goods.

I'd like to own at least one high-quality suit for major interviews, meetings with higher executives, and the such. Unfortunately, like most middle-income earners in the US, buying a fine suit is quite an investment.

In terms of quality and price, would anyone have any recommendations for other fine suit retailers in the DC Metro area? I live in Fairfax, so NoVa is ideal, but I'd be willing to drive anywhere within a 50-mile radius.

Obviously, I've found Bruno Cipriani, but I'm wondering what other options are out there, so I have some ability to make informed comparisons. I am also the type of person who never wants to pay more than he has to, so I'm curious if I can find a finely-made suit at a better price. (Mall stores often seem to have significant mark-ups over other stores.) Of course, it's possible that Cipriani truly is the best value --- but I want to be more informed before coming to that conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,211 times
Try the Tysons Corner malls. Tysons I and Tysons II both have great options.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM

As a note-to-self, I found Dash's of Old Town thru a Google search.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:52 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
As a note-to-self, I found Dash's of Old Town thru a Google search.
You beat me to it! That was the first place I thought of.

Directly across the street from Dash's is an Italian suit store that is in the process of going out of business. You may be able to get some good deals there.

Further east on King Street towards the waterfront, there is yet another men's suit store past Washington St., close to St. Asaph.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
You beat me to it! That was the first place I thought of.

Directly across the street from Dash's is an Italian suit store that is in the process of going out of business. You may be able to get some good deals there.

Further east on King Street towards the waterfront, there is yet another men's suit store past Washington St., close to St. Asaph.
I'll have to check out the store across the street (and Dash's, too!). I've been hoping to find a fine suit store that might be having a major liquidation sale.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 AM

304 posts, read 1,018,984 times
Ok, sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm a fairly thin guy (5'11", 150 lbs) in my late 20's looking for a nice fitted/tailored suit here in NoVa (sort of slim fit European style but not skinny jeans tight).

I see some have mentioned this Dash's store in Alexandria and it was said they had a going out of business sale in 2009...I just looked them up and their website seems pretty current, are they still around?

I was going to make an appointment but wanted to know if anyone had any firsthand experience there (or elsewhere) and what I can expect to pay for your average quality fitted suit at these places ($500? $800? or more)?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
Ok, sorry to resurrect this old thread but I'm a fairly thin guy (5'11", 150 lbs) in my late 20's looking for a nice fitted/tailored suit here in NoVa (sort of slim fit European style but not skinny jeans tight).

I see some have mentioned this Dash's store in Alexandria and it was said they had a going out of business sale in 2009...I just looked them up and their website seems pretty current, are they still around?

I was going to make an appointment but wanted to know if anyone had any firsthand experience there (or elsewhere) and what I can expect to pay for your average quality fitted suit at these places ($500? $800? or more)?

There was a store across the street from Dash's that has indeed since closed. The other store Raul's Menswear still exists and King Street Clothiers has since opened. I have not visited any of these establishments so I cannot comment on their quality or service.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
There was a store across the street from Dash's that has indeed since closed. The other store Raul's Menswear still exists and King Street Clothiers has since opened. I have not visited any of these establishments so I cannot comment on their quality or service.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to check 'em out!

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: updated previously edited quote

Old 02-07-2014, 02:25 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post

Unless you have money to burn or are in a field where your clothes will receive a high level of scrutiny, I'd steer you toward Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, or even TJ Max/Marshalls. The "Mad Men" look you seem to be going for is easily attainable off the rack. I would caution you, however, that DC is a notoriously frumpy town; anything remotely fashion-forward here is seen as unserious. Even lawyers here dress very traditionally.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Unless you have money to burn or are in a field where your clothes will receive a high level of scrutiny, I'd steer you toward Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, or even TJ Max/Marshalls. The "Mad Men" look you seem to be going for is easily attainable off the rack. I would caution you, however, that DC is a notoriously frumpy town; anything remotely fashion-forward here is seen as unserious. Even lawyers here dress very traditionally.
Yeah, most of my suits/dress clothes in the past have come from a few of those places, plus Macy's...I try and get the "slim fit" lines and while the pants are usually an ok fit, the jackets still hang off me weird. My shoulders are broad compared to my thin waist so I was trying to get that tapered-in fit.

Actually what I think I might do is order a Bonobos suit:

The Foundation Slim - Navy | Bonobos Slim 100% Marzotto® Wool Navy Suit - Bonobos Men's Clothes - Pants, Shirts and Suits

I started getting their khakis and casual dress pants (normal men's colors, not the bright pink or two-tone print ones!) a couple years ago and they fit me well, best part is they have free expedited shipping and returns so if I don't like it I send it back, no questions.

Again, thanks for your comments/suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia