U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:41 AM

15,400 posts, read 18,096,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Bumping this thread for Umai, who is interested in towns that do not "have a Stepford look".

Well, I guess this person asked a question and then moved on without waiting to see if anyone answered. Too bad, we bumped a bunch of threads for her and went out of our way to try to help. Oh well, hopefully it helps other people out there who have the same question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,272 times
I live in Waterford and love this post. Great pictures. A few comments:

- The blizzard was tough, it was a while before we could get out, but the county hired local contractors, as well as a few from WVA plowing continuously, with both trucks w/ chains, as well as smaller treaded vehicles for the Big Hill... The problem we had was ice buildup on the road that they couldn't plow off, but you could make it with 4-wheel drive (which most people have out here).

- The comment about the bird feeders and the HOA - there isn't an HOA controlling things like that. The historic architecture is governed by the county, and in the case of some specific properties, the state of Virginia. However paint colors and extra decorations are pretty much up to the resident. In terms of the effort involved in changing a window, if you read and follow the guidelines, it is pretty painless. Even major additions are generally approved if they follow the guidelines.

- Please visit us during the fair! You are correct it is Oct 1, 2, and 3rd this year, and there is more information available here: The Waterford Foundation - Waterford Homes Tour & Crafts Exhibit (http://www.waterfordfoundation.org/fair/index.html - broken link) . The Waterford Fair has spoiled me on all other craft fairs, it is the best in my opinion.

- There are currently homes for sale in Waterford in the high 400s up to the mid 900s, and higher outside of the historic district (mostly new construction on 5 acre lots).

- Winding roads and speed limit - BE CAREFUL! Someone I know recently got a ticket for 16 mph over, and it was ~$350. We have been seeing a lot of sheriff's deputies lately, so you always want to assume there's one waiting just around the next corner.

I love to answer questions about Waterford, so please ask if you are interested.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,649,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinVA View Post
The blizzard was tough, it was a while before we could get out, but the county hired local contractors, as well as a few from WVA plowing continuously, with both trucks w/ chains, as well as smaller treaded vehicles for the Big Hill... The problem we had was ice buildup on the road that they couldn't plow off, but you could make it with 4-wheel drive (which most people have out here).
Thanks for posting that, I wondered how you guys fared in the blizzard last year.

Quote:
- Please visit us during the fair! You are correct it is Oct 1, 2, and 3rd this year, and there is more information available here: The Waterford Foundation - Waterford Homes Tour & Crafts Exhibit (http://www.waterfordfoundation.org/fair/index.html - broken link) . The Waterford Fair has spoiled me on all other craft fairs, it is the best in my opinion.
I totally, agree, the Waterford Fair is the best! And you have to get a slice of the chocolate fruit cake that hey sell in the old school house there. Yummy!!!

Quote:

- Winding roads and speed limit - BE CAREFUL! Someone I know recently got a ticket for 16 mph over, and it was ~$350. We have been seeing a lot of sheriff's deputies lately, so you always want to assume there's one waiting just around the next corner.
Yikes!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,972,013 times
Quote:
I don't dare speed at all through any of the towns or villages in Loudoun. I got my one and only speeding ticket EVER in Purcellville for doing 37 in a 25 - on one of those roads away from the main drag toward the newer developments. I was sure I was past the city limits, but was in fact yards away from the line. Learned my lesson. Anyway, you miss a lot of the loveliness if you go too fast.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:47 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Anyway, you miss a lot of the loveliness if you go too fast.
Especially true in a beautiful little town like Waterford where there's so much to see.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,649,574 times
FYI, last night I got a call from Terri with the Waterford Historic Association. They're looking for volunteers to help run the Waterford Fair this year. This is actually a fairly fun volunteer job. I've done it a few times. You work a 4-hour shift, usually selling cakes or candies in this quaint old store. Volunteers get free admission to the fair and they sometimes give you other goodies as well. Plus, it's a interesting thing to do, the other volunteers are fun to hang out with, and you have the pleasure of helping to preserve an important historic area.

The fair is on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (Oct. 1-3). If you're looking for something fun to do, I recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia