U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM

715 posts, read 1,869,849 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know whether FFX Cty employs these new college grads as teachers? I heard that these TFA teachers aren't necessarily considering teaching as a career, but do it to possibly reduce student loans or as a temporary job until grad/professional school.

If they are working as teachers, I assume they need to be certified in FFX Cty.

I read that Michelle Rhee of the DCPS is planning on dipping into this pool of "teachers" to infuse into DCPS.

Here's an example of one who recently got laid off though. It's kind of scary to think that someone fresh out of college with no experience in teaching and no degree in that particular subject field is allowed to teach the subject:
One laid-off teacher had taught in D.C. schools for six weeks. Brian Mokoro, 23, who graduated from Duke University last spring, joined Teach for America and moved to D.C. four months ago, taught math at Spingarn High School. He was one of six Teach for America teachers laid off out of 170 in the system, said Rhonda Stewart, a spokeswoman for the organization, which places high-achieving graduates into struggling districts nationwide.

Mokoro, who taught two classes of algebra and one of geometry to freshmen, said he was drawn to the District after double-majoring in public policy and economics.
washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,962,425 times
Probably not, since the programs is geared toward impoverished ghetto schools, but since it's a federal government program anything is possible. I have mixed feelings about the concept; on the one hand it may attract people who think singing Kumbaya every morning is sufficient training, but on the other there are undoubtedly those who are more enthusiastic and successful than some of the incompetent frauds posing as "teachers" in the DC schools. It may be that part of the problem is the placement by the school system; for example, who assigned the guy cited to teach math instead of economics or government? Here's their website:

Teach For America - Help Ensure Educational Opportunity for All

Old 10-08-2009, 08:15 PM

239 posts, read 575,529 times
And Bill Gates wouldn't be qualified to teach Computer Science, either. Elementary Education is a place for Math illiterates to hide. They take one math course, Math For Elementary Teachers. Your kids test scores may very well reflect that fact.

I will bet you lunch at Popeye's that Brian's SAT scores were higher than anyone on that campus. Also note, only 7 of the TFA teachers were let go. What about the other 163? Michelle Rhee is so brilliant that the NEA hates her guts. Kind of makes you wonder.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Michelle Rhee is my hero.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,131,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Michelle Rhee is my hero.
Me too!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 AM

696 posts, read 1,499,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
Elementary Education is a place for Math illiterates to hide. They take one math course, Math For Elementary Teachers. Your kids test scores may very well reflect that fact.
Hey now. Let's watch the generalization. One could say the same thing for science! If you taught the same concepts (putting small numbers together and taking small numbers apart) for 12+ years as I have, I bet your math brain would be small too! I can say that I've taken more than just Math for Elementary Teachers though. There are many generalizations that can be made for the high school and middle school teachers, but I'll hold back this morning.

Being new to the area, I'm curiously watching the situation in DC.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 AM

204 posts, read 334,395 times
Anyone with a Econ degree from duke ought to to able to teach freshman algebra. Economics is a pretty math intensive program.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 PM

715 posts, read 1,869,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
Anyone with a Econ degree from duke ought to to able to teach freshman algebra. Economics is a pretty math intensive program.
I doubt that. They may know the material, but not necessarily enough to teach it.

How is a bachelors in economics math intensive?

Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 PM

239 posts, read 575,529 times
Well, at JMU, you would have to take College Algebra, Calculus for Business Majors, Statistics, Quantitative Methods, Production Operations Management, Finance, Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Data Processing, and Managment Information Systems Concepts. That would be 30 credit hours of Math oriented courses before you took your first Econ class. That's how.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia