U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,603,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Hahaha, with a name like DennyCrane, Boston should be your ideal city!

Just kidding, I really liked your post and thought you made some good points. I wish there was some way the people leaving could sign over their apartments to folks like you who are moving in.
The larger point I was trying to make is that you don't often appreciate what you have until it's gone. For example, you could be someone who's absolutely fed up with DC. You hate the traffic, you hate the high cost of living, and you hate the unfriendliness of the people there. So you move to a smaller city, buy a big house with a yard for what in DC would only get you a small condo, and land a job that's only 30 minutes away. But as time goes by, you find yourself bored because there's nothing to do in that city besides shopping and going out to eat. Then you decide the job you have is a dead-end. So you start looking for something better only to find there really isn't anything better. I can see this scenario playing out for a lot of people who flee cities like DC or New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 PM

993 posts, read 2,188,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Hahaha, with a name like DennyCrane, Boston should be your ideal city!

Just kidding, I really liked your post and thought you made some good points. I wish there was some way the people leaving could sign over their apartments to folks like you who are moving in.
That would have been kind of awkward as I lived with my parents in a SFH, before moving to Texas.

Yeah I didn't want to feel the full brunt of the cost of housing, so living with my parents was the only option.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 19,850,532 times
I left NoVA for Maryland. I have lived in the Twin Cities, Detroit, and Grand Rapids. The Twin Cities are my favorite place in the US and I would love to go back. It's probable though, that we''ll be moving to NoVa again soon.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
I am not sure about the people, but did others see the article in the Post this morning about the hippo who is much happier since leaving the National Zoo for the Milwaukee Zoo?

I took this as a sign to stop trying to convince people to be happy in the DC area. If Happy the hippo can find a better life in Milwaukee - with Puddles and Patty there to greet him and socialize with him in a way that all those Type A soccer mammals in DC never did - who are we to quarrel with posters who've decided that New York, Chicago or Pittsburgh are better places for them?

Old 11-12-2009, 10:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I am not sure about the people, but did others see the article in the Post this morning about the hippo who is much happier since leaving the National Zoo for the Milwaukee Zoo?

I took this as a sign to stop trying to convince people to be happy in the DC area. If Happy the hippo can find a better life in Milwaukee - with Puddles and Patty there to greet him and socialize with him in a way that all those Type A soccer mammals in DC never did - who are we to quarrel with posters who've decided that New York, Chicago or Pittsburgh are better places for them?
LOL, good response, and I'm glad Happy found a good home.

I've never felt a desire to convince people to stay (even though I love it here). Moving around can be a very good experience, especially when you're young. I grew up in Arlington, moved away and tried out a bunch of cities during my young adult years, and then came home to Nova when it was time to settle down. Even though I eventually decided this was the place for me, I'll always be glad I had those years living in other cities.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:16 PM

413 posts, read 1,042,653 times
Nova forever. Unless we're talking a move to LA or Miami.

Maybe a short stint overseas...only time will tell.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:37 PM

8,468 posts, read 13,603,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

I wonder how happy he'll be when he experiences Milwaukee winters. Maybe that's why people in the great lakes area are so overweight. It's the only way to endure the cold.

As for the complaint about DC being full of Type A personalities, I don't live there, but I've noticed this is something people say in every big city. You can go to New York, Chicago, or LA and it'll still feel like everyone is a Type A.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:24 PM

31 posts, read 65,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Even though I don't live in NOVA, I thought I would add my two cents. I lived in a city that was very affordable, had only minor traffic issues, and where the people were friendly. But there were hardly any jobs and it didn't offer a lot in terms of culture. Then I moved to a city with plenty of jobs and lots of culture. But the traffic was horrible, the cost of living was high, and people were always in a crabby mood, probably because of the traffic and high cost of living.

No matter where you go, you'll make trade-offs. Do you want to live in a city where you can buy a really big house for under 300K and never have to deal with a lousy commute to work? Great. But then you'll discover why things are so cheap and why there's no traffic. It's because no one wants to live there. Why? Probably because there aren't any jobs and/or the city is really boring. The alternative is to go to a city with lots of jobs that has lots of stuff to do. But everyone else goes there too, adding to the traffic and pushing up home prices. DC obviously falls into this category.

The ideal city seems to be the middle of these two extremes. But what American city really falls in the middle? A city that offers a decent job market, homes that are reasonably affordable, and traffic that's only moderately bad. A city that has just enough places to go and stuff to do to keep you from getting bored. I've spent the last couple years trying to figure out which city that is and what I keep finding is that most American cities seem to fall into one of the two extremes. What's the saying about something that's too good to be true? As someone who's thinking of moving to DC, I know the cost of living is high and the traffic is awful. But I also know that's where the jobs are and where I'll never get bored. So you folks thinking of leaving DC, keep in mind why other cities are more affordable and have less traffic.
We found Dallas to be a pretty good city for most of those criteria. Reasonably priced housing, traffic pretty bad but not nearly as bad as here, good job market (usually), no state income taxes, (mediocre to bad schools, though), friendly people, and a fair of amount of culture (especially recently with all the new developments downtown). The big downside for us was the HEAT (months and months of it) and the flat, unattractive landscape. I'd rather have the gorgeous fall, and the milder summers here. And you're right, there are so many things to do here. No matter who you are - a history buff, a club person, an athlete, a wine lover, or whatever - you will never run out of things to do.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 PM

34 posts, read 85,105 times
Moved up from TX for a job and i am still not used to it after 3 and some years. I will be moving back to Houston in a couple of months because i've had it with the ridiculous traffic ,lack of food culture,expensive and overrated living,cold fake stuck up people. I don't regret coming here because it gave me a chance to see what is like but i do regret being here for over a year and wasting those extra precious years for nothing. I don't want to be 30 + years old and still living in a tiny apartment or with roommates,i'm still 22 so i'm getting out of here before it's too late.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:39 AM

744 posts, read 1,072,090 times
I used to live in Woodbridge and about 3 years ago moved to San Antonio TX, the weather is better and the cost of living is a whole lot cheaper. Plus we have real mexican food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia