U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:56 PM

486 posts, read 883,971 times
There are also many private preschools in the area that incorporate Spanish lessons into their day. No, they are not full immersion and the level could be too basic for your kids, but you could check those out and see too. There are Spanish immersion elementary schools as part of Fairfax County Public Schools System, which do 1/2 of the day in Spanish and 1/2 in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM

10 posts, read 14,644 times
I'd say Herndon Elementary.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:04 PM

257 posts, read 305,002 times
Many of the public schools have the FLEX program (Foreign Language Experience) in Fairfax County. Probably the most popular language is Spanish, because there are more people who are able to teach it. Its mostly parents who volunteer to teach their language (although they do get paid). I taught sign language at one time, but work full time now and am not able to do it anymore.
Its an extra curricular activity, either before or after school and there is a fee.

I'm in the medical field and am constantly amazed at the classified ads for front office employees that require you to be bilingual to apply. It doesn't seem quite fair to not be able to get a job because you only speak English, but I can see the employers point of view too. You have to be able to accommodate the people who seek your services. Such is life in the United States these days.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:43 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,061,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwb View Post
Brazil has one of the largest richest rainforest in the world; Panama controls the most efficient way for commercial goods to cross from one side of the world to the other. Guess what language do they speak over there?
Um, (Brazilian) Portugese, maybe? (Ok, ok, Sara73 beat me to it, but this was just begging to be repeated.)

Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 AM

120 posts, read 209,596 times
St Pauls School in Haymarket, VA has a program which does language immersion (Mother Day Out Program) however I just saw on their website they plan to have a special program offered:

LANGUAGES SPECIALTY PROGRAM
STARTING FALL 2010
1:00PM - 3:45PM

Chinese
Russian
Spanish
French
German
Italian
The contact number on the website is: 703-754-1948

Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM

44 posts, read 79,734 times
I can't believe this person posted a question on here asking where to send her kids to school and nearly all of the replies were berating her for wanting her kids to learn a second language rather than answering her question. Unbelievable!

As to answer the question---my 2 1/2 yr old goes to St. Paul's in Haymarket for the Mother's Day Out Program (mentioned in a previous post). He's learning Spanish, Chinese, and Russian. Right now it's only 2 days/wk (mornings) and ends in June but next yr he'll go 3 days/wk in the mornings. They also offer a M-F 3 yr old program. I think the school goes up to the 6th grade.

Don't know where you plan to live--perhaps if you know that would help with recommendations.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:15 PM

4,487 posts, read 4,985,773 times
What a great idea--I wish my parents had signed me up for such a program as a child. i struggled immensely with learning a foreign language in high school.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

5,626 posts, read 5,427,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
What a great idea--I wish my parents had signed me up for such a program as a child. i struggled immensely with learning a foreign language in high school.
Me too. I wish I learned a second language, and I wish I learned how to play the piano.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:29 PM

10 posts, read 13,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courym View Post
My family is moving to Northern Virginia, and our two children (1 y/o and 3 y/o) are currently in Spanish immersion daycare. Does anyone have recommendations for good immersion daycare in Northern Virginia?
We were looking for rthe same and found one in Haymarket called St. Paul's School. They have Spanish immersion. Hope this helps.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 6,281 times
Default St. Anne's Academy Spanish Immersion Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by courym View Post
My family is moving to Northern Virginia, and our two children (1 y/o and 3 y/o) are currently in Spanish immersion daycare. Does anyone have recommendations for good immersion daycare in Northern Virginia?
Courym, one of the reasons we chose St. Anne's Academy for Girls in the Gainesville-Haymarket area is for their Spanish immersion program. Check it out [URL="http://www.stannesacademy4girls.org"]www.stannesacademy4girls.org[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia