U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,887 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Northern Virginia, and our two children (1 y/o and 3 y/o) are currently in Spanish immersion daycare. Does anyone have recommendations for good immersion daycare in Northern Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 PM

2,523 posts, read 4,874,936 times
I have not not heard of any Spanish immersion daycares but I do notice a lot of people with Spanish Nannies have the Nannies teaching the kids Spanish -

my son started Spanish immerision in first grade and loves it -

Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,788,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by courym View Post
My family is moving to Northern Virginia, and our two children (1 y/o and 3 y/o) are currently in Spanish immersion daycare. Does anyone have recommendations for good immersion daycare in Northern Virginia?
Ok, somebody please, please, I beg you, explain to me why any parent would do this. I am perplexed.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM

52 posts, read 105,055 times
It's quite ignorant not to recognize the benefits for Americans to know how to speak Spanish. Spanish is the second most popular language in the states, so it helps with building friendships and relating to others. It also helps in the job market, perhaps most notably in the medical field. Physicians do well to serve the community, for example, if they can communicate with their patients without translators... and they save money for the costs of translators.

Europeans can often speak 2-3 languages. Many American's are egocentric and narrow minded in their refusal to learn anything besides English, and when they travel to other countries, for example, they get upset when the locals can't respond in English.

I myself can only speak English fluently, because I'm too lazy to learn another language.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:40 AM

5,929 posts, read 6,221,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Ok, somebody please, please, I beg you, explain to me why any parent would do this. I am perplexed.

20yrsinBranson
Learning a second language is easiest at a young age. And it is a great skill to have later on in life. At least that's why I was always interested in having my children learn a second language. If you are putting your kids in daycare or getting a nanny; it seems like a win-win to have one who will talk to your children in a second language. In this area, many nannies are Hispanic, and with Spanish being so prevalent in this country Spanish is the natural choice. But I know many others who try to do this with other languages such as French, Mandarin, etc.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 8,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Learning a second language is easiest at a young age. And it is a great skill to have later on in life. At least that's why I was always interested in having my children learn a second language. If you are putting your kids in daycare or getting a nanny; it seems like a win-win to have one who will talk to your children in a second language. In this area, many nannies are Hispanic, and with Spanish being so prevalent in this country Spanish is the natural choice. But I know many others who try to do this with other languages such as French, Mandarin, etc.
I think you captured my reasons pretty well. As someone who has struggled to learn multiple languages as an adult, I love having my children learning Spanish. One of the great benefits of doing it at such an early age is that my boys don't have any difficulty learning and distinguishing between the two languages. My older son speaks English and Spanish fairly fluently and uses English at home and Spanish almost exclusively at school. If we can find a place for both of children to continue using their Spanish, I have no doubt that they will grow up bilingual.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 AM

145 posts, read 262,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

Being able to read the handwriting on the wall and being proactive about setting one's children up for success does not necessarily mean that one is happy about how monolingual Spanish-speakers are being pandered to in this country.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,033,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
Being able to read the handwriting on the wall and being proactive about setting one's children up for success does not necessarily mean that one is happy about how monolingual Spanish-speakers are being pandered to in this country.
Thank you. I see the value in learning, say, Chinese for the sake of being multilingual, but Spanish-speaking countries aren't exactly a burgeoning thing in the global marketplace. Unless you plan to move to Miami or San Antonio and work with Latin America (which, who knows that when they're 6 y/o?), then learning Spanish for the sake of learning a second language will probably only prove useful when ordering at Burger King.

Bring on the "noooo, that's ignooranttt...." comments.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 PM

3,976 posts, read 6,522,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Thank you. I see the value in learning, say, Chinese for the sake of being multilingual, but Spanish-speaking countries aren't exactly a burgeoning thing in the global marketplace. Unless you plan to move to Miami or San Antonio and work with Latin America (which, who knows that when they're 6 y/o?), then learning Spanish for the sake of learning a second language will probably only prove useful when ordering at Burger King.

Bring on the "noooo, that's ignooranttt...." comments.

Not ignorant at all....very perceptive IMO!

Learning Spanish allows us to communicate with our servants now.

Learning Chinese/Korean will allow us to communicate with our masters in the not too distant future.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 PM

5,929 posts, read 6,221,736 times
Well, first of all, Mandarin is a much harder language to learn than Spanish, and it is harder to find someone to teach it. But secondly, learning Spanish isn't just for ordering at fast food restaurants. If you were to open a business, it would be really handy and financially beneficial to be able to speak to many of your customers. Otherwise, you might need to hire someone who can speak Spanish. Having that second language can help you land a job or command better pay as a nurse, a teacher, an attorney, a translator, a realtor, a business person, etc. I cannot imagine any cons to learning a second language other than the time or expense that it takes to learn it. And if one is already looking for day care, and children easily pick up a second language, it negates the cons. There are only positives to being bilingual or multilingual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia