U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Whom Do You Intend to Vote for Next Governor of VA?
Creigh Deeds (Democrat) 38 46.91%
Bob McDonnell (Republican) 43 53.09%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 PM

30,103 posts, read 67,204,935 times

Advertisements

Normie, the intention of this thread wasn't to elicit emotional outbursts or personal attacks, and I'm genuinely sorry if you've at all felt ostracized or offended by this thread. I'm admittedly still undecided (and still leaning McDonnell), and I was hoping the flurry of lively commentary would offer me some fresh insight as I continue to struggle to either vote for McDonnell, a man who (allegedly) blames gays and working women for societal ills but seems to have a better grasp of our financial and transportation woes or a guy who may be more socially progressive but has shown me very little in terms of vision. On the one hand I'm worried that voting in someone like McDonnell might make people think of Virginia as a "redneck" state once they learn some of his social ideologies, much as how my native Pennsylvania was viewed as "Pennsyltucky" when Santorum was in office. On the other hand while I don't see any way to TOTALLY avoid some sort of tax hikes to help plug our ailing economy I fear that Deeds doesn't have nearly as many alternative revenue-raising strategies and ideas as McDonnell to help minimize them. Yes, if I were governor right now I WOULD raise taxes, but I would also do everything and ANYTHING to help boost revenues before resorting to that. I feel as if a vote for McDonnell will be a vote to continue to have Virginia rated #1 for business, even if we have to fear occasional dimwitted outbursts that will embarrass us on the national scene in the same manner that Santorum embarrassed us all in PA. If anything McDonnell's strong lead in the polls indicates that Virginia has not yet fully turned "blue" and is still reliably "purple."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 10,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I'm voting for Deeds, even if I think he's a terrible candidate. Why?

Because I don't think having a trio of extreme social conservatives who think that we should all abide by their Catholic beliefs is fair to those of us who aren't extremely conservative Catholics.

Because setting up toll plazas at state borders, while revenue-generating, causes additional traffic problems and/or is easily avoided (see Delaware for the former).

Because the state GOP has been bound and determined for decades to bite the hand (NoVA) that feeds the entire state because we are "fake" Virginians.

Because I have this weird notion that government services require taxpayer dollars. Virginia doesn't even provide that many services, and we have a budget shortfall, so we have to raise taxes.

Like Terrence81 said, the state GOP basically hates me. I'm agnostic, gay, from Northern Virginia, pro-immigration and multiculturalism, etc. Even if McDonnell has better fiscal policies, and he very well might, I'm not going to forget the xenophobic/homophobic/hyper-religious Republican Party that I've grown up with.

And Cuccinelli? That man makes McDonnell look like an ACLU member on social issues. And he's legitimately a Northern Virginian, which is even scarier.
Stephen and Terrance...I understand what both of you are saying about the Republicans not agreeing with the gay lifestyle...but I think you both should know that Deeds is a conservative Democrat and that he doesn't approve of the homosexual lifestyle either. I read an article about it and I will see if I can still find it.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 10,669 times
The Weekly Standard

This is where Deeds says no special rights to gays..

Old 10-15-2009, 06:25 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm genuinely sorry if you've at all felt ostracized or offended by this thread.
Ostracized? No, I don't feel ostracized, especially since you said you might end up voting for me. I'm just nervous that this thread could become inflammatory and cause a lot of bad blood. There's a good reason they tell you never to discuss politics in mixed company. However, for now this seems to be a civil discussion so I guess it's ok by me.

I'm still not telling anyone who I'm voting for, though.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 PM

515 posts, read 1,506,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I hate to say it, but I'm becoming more and more aligned with the Republican party as I age. If the GOP would drop the "gays will kill you with their mutant cooties" drama then they'd garner the support of MILLIONS of us in the LGBT community who are fed up with some of the Democratic party's failures.
By contrast, I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER acknowledging that I went from liberal Democrat to strong Republican as I aged. Scrannie, I dont like the gay hysteria either, but in my experience it is more perceived than real. Any number of Republican politicians considered hostile to gays in fact have them on staff. Hell, a recent chair of the RNC was widely believed to be gay. I've been in and around politics for a long time, and no one I know really gives a damn about this anymore. Most of what you hear is just talk to play to the base. And I think a lot of the bad blood would have been avoided if the gay community had waited a few more years to seek marriage rights. The timing just wasnt good.

It has long been my goal to live to see a day when gays feel welcome in the GOP. Whether or not I do, I nonetheless look forward to casting my vote for McDonnell, Cucinelli, and Bolling. I am fed up with being overtaxed and overregulated, with silly social engineering, and with liberal judges who are more concerned with criminals than their victims. Whatever McDonnell's views on social issues, I am convinced his goals are elsewhere. I think he will be a very good governor.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,499,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repub757 View Post
The Weekly Standard

This is where Deeds says no special rights to gays..
Deeds voted with the Senate Democrats opposing the amendment banning same-sex marriage AND civil unions in the state, however. He's no progressive on LGBT issues, but he's not half as bad as McDonnell.

Also, as a pro choice voter, I can't really support someone (Cuccinelli) who was the "Family Foundation" legislator of the year in 2008.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,456 times
Not a fan of either one, but I'll end up holding my nose and voting for Deeds. The other guy belongs to a party that uses the gay community as a political punching bag.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,956 times
Deeds is confused about that issue, too. This is from eleven days ago (read through to page two):

washingtonpost.com

Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,862,837 times
Gay people on staff? Who cares if you are not supporting them on their most pressing initiatives. Deeds voted against banning same sex marriages. I look at the actions more than the words or "his assistants". There is no time to wait for the "right time" to bring up the gay issue.

As for the "liberal judges" and blah blah, stop watching fox news. Its because of the negativity that people not aligned to a party (points to self) is leaning to left. McDonnell has some strong campaign points such as the deregulation on VABC stores. Thats will be the deciding factor for undecided voters.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm just nervous that this thread could become inflammatory and cause a lot of bad blood.
No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia