U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
I went to TC as well- "yale or jail"- as the informal motto.. I was yale per say (good undergrad. top MBA)- but for those kids who need a push or are more susceptible to wanting to fit in and gain acceptance- rather than get picked on- it can be an issue. So- do i want my kids to go to TC- no way not FC nor Stuart- it was just a very dramatic difference of life path that frankly I was fine deciding on my own- but it's just a lack of "fit" for those who want to do well since most were skating through. I faced confrontations daily at the school bus- (though I ran into the the "I have to do HS" group on my bus). I fit in in my own style- I could be part of the "popular preppy group" but not fully (not an extended accepted member) but also be friends with the kids who had weird hair colors (that was then), the geeky people etc. My brother is genious level- was considered a nerd since he didn't care about being in the groups- nerds, jocks, "popular",gangs etc. got picked on- he found his nerd super successful millionaire friends that he is still friends with and they all hung out together. I guess I;m saying I'd rather know darn well my kids can handle the very split unequal environment- leaning more towards an attitude of just get a HS diploma. This is removing all the safety issues like a gun and knife being pulled out at school dances and the police showing up- I was so young I thought nothing of it since this is what I "knew" happened. But given a choice I for sure will not give my kids this experience. Why? Because I don;t have to- I can pick other schools more balanced of people who actually want to go to college and be a productive member of society versus those who "had to" go to school. These schools are too extreme. And I am not bashing the education- just the profile of students/demographics. I had the best AP and honors courses that I insisted on taking- counselors were minimal but that is expected in that large of a HS.
I can understand your reasoning. It's great that you want to give your kids better.

Personally, I would not want to educate or raise kids in the DC area anyway. But one thing can't be denied I learned a lot about real life at TC. Not just book smarts but lessons on real life. You see people who have real problems and seeing the diversity of different stations in life is an eye-opener. You see folk who make the right and wrong choices. That's why I cherish my experiences at TC.

Personally, i've always felt that a kid who WANTED to can get a good education at ANY HS in NoVA. As it is seen here, i know not everyone feels that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times
The problem isn't with the kids who "want" a good education. It's with those kids who will be easily influenced by their peers. If you have one of those kids, you want their peers to be students who value education and learning not peers who are cutting class, smoking, or joining gangs.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:27 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,118,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
You will find on this forum that many of the posters are very uncomfortable with FCHS because there is no majority race/ethnicity there. Its a 1/3rd white, 1/3rd Hispanic, 1/4th Asian (vietnamese/korean/indians and others).

According to Newsweek 2 or 3 years ago its ranked in the top 200 schools nationally.

It has something called an AVID program, which has something to do with teaching students aggressive college study tactics but I don't know what that means.

Check out v2009's links.
AVID is one of the 11 programs to help Black kids. I think that one is supposed to help get kids into college and stay there.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 AM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
AVID is one of the 11 programs to help Black kids. I think that one is supposed to help get kids into college and stay there.
Do I need a certified race card to participate? Is it a bad thing? You realize FCHS is less than 8% AA but 13% of the general population of the USA is AA. I'm guessing a lot of different kids use the program, just by the school make up. Thats great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The problem isn't with the kids who "want" a good education. It's with those kids who will be easily influenced by their peers. If you have one of those kids, you want their peers to be students who value education and learning not peers who are cutting class, smoking, or joining gangs.
To the OP, you won't find active Crips/Bloods/G-Ds/etc in FFx County. Its mostly the home grown school specific clique/gang junk found in every school. But read the article below.

We should be clear that gangs are all over FFx County. Remember that gang mess at Centreville High last year? Are gangs making a comeback in Fairfax County?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Personally, I would not want to educate or raise kids in the DC area anyway. But one thing can't be denied I learned a lot about real life at TC. Not just book smarts but lessons on real life. You see people who have real problems and seeing the diversity of different stations in life is an eye-opener. You see folk who make the right and wrong choices. That's why I cherish my experiences at TC.

Personally, i've always felt that a kid who WANTED to can get a good education at ANY HS in NoVA. As it is seen here, i know not everyone feels that way.
You are totally right.

I think lots of women on this forum should discuss fights in school with their husbands/brothers. My DH was a defensive end in HS (Texas) and fights were pretty natural in Middle School. My brothers came home with all sorts of bumps and bruises. My dad taught them how to fight tho'. I think conversely, the men on this forum would be shocked to learn how absolutely mean and brutal adolescent girls can be. Thats life people. Living in a higher income zip code won't change that.

Last edited by leighland; 10-17-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: spell added

Old 10-17-2009, 01:29 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
I thought I'd look at a different statistic relating to the four FCPS schools that serve Falls Church-area students: total growth in student enrollment since the mid-90s (a period during which there has been a substantial growth in total student enrollment, and the school boundaries for Falls Church, McLean, Marshall, and Stuart have remained stable). Here's what the data shows in terms of growth between 9/95 and 9/09:

McLean 35.1%
Marshall 32.3%
Stuart 31.6%
Falls Church 10.7%

To speak to one of Leighland's points, the racial balance at Stuart and Falls Church is similar (there is no majority ethnicity), and the residential areas that serve both schools are older, settled areas, but the student population increased by a much larger percentage at Stuart (with increases in Hispanic, Black, White and Multiracial students more than offsetting a decline in the number of Asian students) than at Falls Church (where a large increase in the number of Hispanic students and a modest increase in the number of Multiracial students were largely offset by a decline in the number of Asian, Black and White students).

Don't get me wrong; I'm not offering up this data to suggest students can't get a good education at FCHS. It does seem to me, however, that the data may reflect some broader decision-making by area residents that goes beyond what a few posters on City-Data might say about which schools do or don't have a good "reputation."

Last edited by JD984; 10-17-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM

708 posts, read 1,143,802 times
Great thread. Strongly considering Falls Church HS area and very torn. US News ranked it as one of the best, but this thread scared the crap out of me! LOL.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Great thread. Strongly considering Falls Church HS area and very torn. US News ranked it as one of the best, but this thread scared the crap out of me! LOL.
Why were you scared? Are you talking about personal safety, putting your money at risk, or both?

The main advantages of the area around Falls Church HS are location and relative affordability. If you think the DC region is going to continue to thrive, it augurs well for this area. Pleasant neighborhoods like Greenway Downs and Broyhill Park will attract younger buyers priced out of North Arlington and other parts of close-in Fairfax.

On the other hand, in a down market, the challenges of the area faces - the older housing stock, the distance from Metro, the ugly stretches of Arlington Boulevard, and the school-related concerns - may be more apparent.

FWIW, since I posted the school-related stats in 2009, the enrolment at FCHS has grown about 19%. Some of this is due to redistricting from Annandale HS, but some may be due to more families moving into the area. There are more Asian, Black, Hispanic and White students at the school today than in 2009. The growing Hispanic enrollment accounts for most of the increase, but the number of Asian, Black and White students has also gone up (i.e., there hasn't been noticeable flight) over the past three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or