Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 PM

110 posts, read 572,705 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My husband works for Micron Technology here in Boise, Idaho. We have the opportunity to transfer to Va, more especifically to Manassas. We are seriously considering this offer but I wanted to find more information on the city of Manassas before we even consider accepting the offer. Can someone tell me if there are any good elementary schools in the area? Any private schools? What about housing? What are the best neighborhoods? We have two small kids and a good neighborhood is essential.
Here in Boise we crave cultural activities and things to do, for those who have been to Idaho, you will know it is very quiet and boring - unless you like the outdoors. So we are looking for a city with fun things to do with the kids and with more culture, history and activities as a family. Would Manassas fit the bill? Anyone else here works for Micron in Manassas? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you,
Fab

Last edited by fabforever; 05-05-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,937 times
Default hello!

i just read your post and i had to laugh a little bit......i to am moving to VA, but to Vienna. i'm not familiar with the city you listed though. i'll be moving this summer, and yes-- Boise needs more cultural things to do. how far from vienna/faifax co. will you be?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
Manassas encompasses a very large area. You will find an almost urban area in one part and a very country area in another. The City of Manassas, which is within Manassas itself, is going through a bit of a revitalization now and is quickly becoming a great placee to live. You'll also be able to find fun, cultural events all over NOVA, so you're in for a nice change once you get here.

The schools in Manassas have widely been looked upon as being subpar when compared to Fairfax or Loudoun county schools. However, all of the schools in the area are better than most in the country...so school isn't something you have to worry about.

As far as housing goes...are you looking for a townhome, single family...condo? Are you looking to rent or buy..what's your price range? All of those answers will help point you in the right direction.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 21,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naenae View Post
how far from vienna/faifax co. will you be?
Manassas is located in Prince William County, which is the next county just to the south of Fairfax (although it isn't part of the county - it's an independent city). It's about 17 miles from Vienna.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
As an FYI, Manassas is about 20 miles and 30 minutes (outside the evening rush) southwest of Vienna.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 PM

Thank you for those who replied. We will have to live close to the Micron plant which is located at: 9600 Godwin Drive, Manassas, VA 20110
My husband doesn't mind commuting as long as we can find a good neighborhood not too far from his work. We will be looking into buying a single family home; we can't go above 400k, so I am hoping we can get something nice around that area. We have two small kids (4 years old and 6 months old) so maybe a place with some parks and things for the kids to do. I am a professional photographer and I am hoping to re-build my clientele once we have moved, I know it is going to be a slow process, but I am excited to start it all over again. You have been a great help; anything you can tell me about the area is greatly appreciated. We have contacted a few realtors in the area who are also helping us figure out the best places to live. But there is nothing like hearing how things really are from people who live there!
Fab

Old 05-08-2007, 06:48 AM

Thank you, I know it is going to be a major change in life style! We live in a 2800 sq. ft home here in Boise and we only paid $300K for it - we also live in an acre of land! :0) We are aware of the higher cost of living and we are prepared to downsize if needed. My husband just found out that his salary in VA will be much higher than what he makes here so we will probably be able to get something better, although we are prepared to have a smaller house and an older house if it means having a more active life. Thanks again for all the info, I am starting to like the area, the more I look into it, the more I think we should accept the offer and move! Fab

Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Checked Manassas on realtor .com and was surprised to see 226 houses under 400k most are 350-400 but alot to choose from.

I am not a big fan of Manassas and the schools (but your kids a young enough that you could live there for a few years and build equity and move to a better district way before middle school. Research and find a good HS (if the HS is good chances are the elementary's feeding it a very good)then find your neighborhood. Good schools are worth gold in resale in this area.

look in Gainsville as well. (MORRIS FARM has some new houses under 400) Chantilly would be nice but for 400k you would have to get a TH. (south riding has excellent schools etc...) Lakeridge in woodbridge might also be an option. Again not a huge fan of the Hs schools in woodbridge but elementary are good.

Yes, you husbands salary SHOULD be ALOT higher than Idaho! becasue the cost of living here is alot higher. Not just the housing, but taxes, groceries,activities etc...but you have tons of services and cultural events, DC etc...all very close and easy to discover something new every weekend.

GOOD luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
I would also check into Nokesville and Bealton in Fauquier County. Your husbands commute wouldn't be more than 35-45 minutes and you can get a very nice house there with some land.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
look in Gainesville as well. (MORRIS FARM has some new houses under 400)
I live in Morris Farm. $400k would you get you a 2000 - 2500 sq ft house plus basement, detached garage and no upgrades. Or you could spend $425k to $450k on one of the 3 homes on my street that the owners are DESPERATE to get rid of. (Originally priced around $600K) I know at least one of the 3 is a foreclosure, never been lived in.

It's really pretty in Fauquier county, even though I haven't seen much of it. Just be thinking about if you want to be in more of a country setting or a larged planned community such as Braemar, Morris Farm, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia