U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2009, 07:50 AM
 
71 posts, read 324,451 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

of them?

 
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 AM
 
7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Reputation: 2588
I don't believe I've encountered those groups in this area, at least not on the Virginia side. Is there some NOVA-specific experience you'd like to share with us?
 
Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 AM
 
71 posts, read 324,451 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I don't believe I've encountered those groups in this area, at least not on the Virginia side. Is there some NOVA-specific experience you'd like to share with us?
Not NOVA in particular. I live in Fairfax, but I own a home in Richmond also. My management company brought to my attention about a new group of neighbors next door to my home.

I was informed that a suspected group of "Irish Travelers" have moved in. Its approx. 8-10 males, They really haven't been able to tell what the ethnicity is. No women/kids are in the house. They drive big trucks. Leave home very early (before the neighborhood awakes) and come in very late after everyone is gone to bed. They have magnetic contractor signs (that appear to be customized for Comcast, Verizon, and other small companies). Each truck (approx. 12 big trucks) has a different state tag (several SC, AL, CO, MS, GA.) My husband has tried to introduce himself to them, but they are very stand-offish and don't give eye contact. Another neighbor called the police on them and they wouldn't come to the door---that's general b/c they don't go to the door when anyone else knocks. This is just a token of the info. I did some research on the internet and I believe they have settled in my neighborhood for possibly a short period of time.

The reason for the post in the NOVA section is b/c I've been warned they are in the area as well as in the Staffod area.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Censorshipville...
2,674 posts, read 6,237,402 times
Reputation: 1543
There are a lot of construction jobs in the area so maybe they're here to take advantage of our good economy. I remember reading a news article that there were a couple of guys sharing an apartment while they were working on the new Walmart in Manassas. I have a neighbor that all their cars have plates from WV. I found that odd considering it's at least 1.5 hours from WV where I live, but they don't bother me and I don't bother them...

Why'd the other neighbor call the cops on them?

Your HOA or even the city code may have rules against having work vehicles parked on the street.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 AM
 
71 posts, read 324,451 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
There are a lot of construction jobs in the area so maybe they're here to take advantage of our good economy. I remember reading a news article that there were a couple of guys sharing an apartment while they were working on the new Walmart in Manassas. I have a neighbor that all their cars have plates from WV. I found that odd considering it's at least 1.5 hours from WV where I live, but they don't bother me and I don't bother them...

Why'd the other neighbor call the cops on them?

Your HOA or even the city code may have rules against having work vehicles parked on the street.
I'm aware that there are many construction jobs in the area. But I don't believe they are there for any of them. Considering almost half of the trucks are very nice and they keep them very clean--compared to construction trucks. They ones that they use as maybe construction trucks have authorized magnets from Verizon, Comcast and other companies). They HOA has contacted Verizon and Comcast and they have no knowledge of them or have no idea who they are. They don't have a license number on there magnets. A neighbor noticed that they come home with very clean clothes if working construction. The home is 3 bedrms, 2 bths, and it's approx. 8-10 men over the age of 25 living there. They park there trucks on the street, in frt. of my home, and even in the back/front yard. It's an eyesore to the community. The HOA are working with the local officials to learn more about the group.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,749,115 times
Reputation: 1093
There are a lot of contractors who travel The money is much better than working locally. My husband use to work with a couple who did that. They traveled about 6-9 months, took in the good money and stayed where the company put them, worked 10 or 12 hours days, etc. Then they have 3 to 6 months a year where they would travel in their RV and enjoy life. Reason he worked with them is they hit their mid-30s and wanted to settle down, have kids, etc, so they got jobs with a local electrical company. I'm pretty sure if my husband did have me, he'd be one of them. He spend some time in his early/mid-20s working a job where he traveled up and down the east coast refinished floors in malls.

My point, why assume they are gypsies or Travellers? The Verizon/Comcast signs would make me think they are just traveling contractors going where the work is. Travellers, at least what I have heard, do things like scam paving and such. Have any of them offered to repave your driveway?

Also, why did the neighbor call the police on them? Were they actually doing anything or was it just because there were new people who kept to themselves in the neighborhood?

I'm sorry, but the blue collar bias on this board bugs me sometimes. My husband is a foreman on a construction site. Its only when they are doing site work that he gets really dirty. He is inside a lot of the time. And he drives a nice, relatively clean & new, Toyota Tundra. His truck is newer and cleaner than my Subaru, which I drive to an office bulding parking garage.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM
 
71 posts, read 324,451 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
There are a lot of contractors who travel The money is much better than working locally. My husband use to work with a couple who did that. They traveled about 6-9 months, took in the good money and stayed where the company put them, worked 10 or 12 hours days, etc. Then they have 3 to 6 months a year where they would travel in their RV and enjoy life. Reason he worked with them is they hit their mid-30s and wanted to settle down, have kids, etc, so they got jobs with a local electrical company. I'm pretty sure if my husband did have me, he'd be one of them. He spend some time in his early/mid-20s working a job where he traveled up and down the east coast refinished floors in malls.

My point, why assume they are gypsies or Travellers? The Verizon/Comcast signs would make me think they are just traveling contractors going where the work is. Travellers, at least what I have heard, do things like scam paving and such. Have any of them offered to repave your driveway?

Also, why did the neighbor call the police on them? Were they actually doing anything or was it just because there were new people who kept to themselves in the neighborhood?

I'm sorry, but the blue collar bias on this board bugs me sometimes. My husband is a foreman on a construction site. Its only when they are doing site work that he gets really dirty. He is inside a lot of the time. And he drives a nice, relatively clean & new, Toyota Tundra. His truck is newer and cleaner than my Subaru, which I drive to an office bulding parking garage.

It seems that I offened you. I can't apologize to you for that. It's tough if you and your husband fit the mold that I'm referring to.

As I stated--we have contacted Verizon and Comcast and they DO NOT have any contractors LIVING in the area. They are put in a Candlwood Suites in the area. We tried to verify license numbers and they DO NOT have them accounted for. So fish is a major red flag.

I was raised in a blue collar family. There is honor in all work!!
 
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,749,115 times
Reputation: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonediva View Post
As I stated--we have contacted Verizon and Comcast and they DO NOT have any contractors LIVING in the area. They are put in a Candlwood Suites in the area. We tried to verify license numbers and they DO NOT have them accounted for. So fish is a major red flag.
You posted that while I was typing (check the time stamps). But you still haven't answered the questions that was asked twice about why the police were called.

The more details you post, the more fishy it does sound. But when you only give a few bits of information (work trucks, magnetic signs, but they aren't dirty).

Also, when the biggest complaint is that its an eyesore, its kind of a "so what" thing. If you have something more that proves they are actually bothering you - parties all night, beer bottles thrown at your cars, break-ins, proof of drug deals, etc - then you have something. But an eye sore b/c they have too many cars and a few too many people living there - eh... its an annoyance that comes with life.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 AM
 
506 posts, read 1,266,059 times
Reputation: 227
I am just qurious what makes you think they are Irish Travellers or gypsies.
Irish Travellers (also known as Pikeys, tinkers and knackers, very negative terms I need to say)) and gypsies (preferred term is Romani, Romany, Romanies, Romanis, Roma…many names to chose from ) are two different set of peoples.

Travellers
These are ethic Irish nomadic or semi nomadic people. It was once widely believed that Travellers were descended from landowners or labourers who were made homeless by Oliver Cromwell's military campaign in Ireland and in the 1840s famine. However, their origins may be more complex as there are records indicating that there were nomadic people Irishmen BEFORE 1840. Apparently the US has about 7,000 Travelers. They tend to be found in the south east for example, a population of Irish Travellers lives in Murphy Village, South Carolina and the Fort Worth suburb of White Settlement, TX.


Romani people
The English term Gypsy originates from a Greek word, in the erroneous belief that the Romanies originated in Egypt, and were exiled as punishment for allegedly harboring the infant Jesus.

Linguistic and genetic evidence indicates the Romanies originated from the Indian subcontinent, emigrating from India towards the northwest no earlier than the 11th century. The Romani are generally believed to have originated in central India, possibly in the modern Indian state of Rajasthan, migrating to the Punjab region in northwest India around 250 B.C. There are also factors that indicate that they might have originated or lived for a long time in Kashmir. The recent discovery of the "Jat mutation" that causes a type of glaucoma in Romani populations suggests that the Romani people are the descendants of the Jat people found in Northern India and Pakistan.

Significant Romani populations are found in the Balkan peninsula, in some Central European states, in Spain, France, Russia, and Ukraine. Several more million Romanies may live out of Europe, in particular in the Middle East and in the Americas.
 
Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 AM
 
71 posts, read 324,451 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
You posted that while I was typing (check the time stamps). But you still haven't answered the questions that was asked twice about why the police were called.

The more details you post, the more fishy it does sound. But when you only give a few bits of information (work trucks, magnetic signs, but they aren't dirty).

Also, when the biggest complaint is that its an eyesore, its kind of a "so what" thing. If you have something more that proves they are actually bothering you - parties all night, beer bottles thrown at your cars, break-ins, proof of drug deals, etc - then you have something. But an eye sore b/c they have too many cars and a few too many people living there - eh... its an annoyance that comes with life.
Not dodging the question by far. The police were called b/c empty beer bottles were strewn all over the street from their front yard; no answer at the door. They have raised alarm to the community---they sit the woods behind the home on fire burning trash. Not sure why--other than they don't want to put there trash in the garbage can...?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top