Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,482 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, first time poster first time member and all that junk.

I'm relocating to the Fairfax area in about a month due to a transfer at work and I need to find a place to live. Hopefully someone can provide a bit of insight of where to look , where to avoid , etc.

I'm 25 , single ,no pets , no kids , just me. I'm looking to spend around $1150-$1200 a month + utilities for an unfurnished apartment.

Since I know nothing really of the area I dunno where the more happenin spots are. I've heard that maybe Alexandria might be an area to consider, but I'll be the first to admit I'm totally ignorant on the subject.

Anyone have any suggestions? And I'm currently in Northern California so I can't really take a drive down and check stuff out

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:48 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,562 times
Where will you be working (location)? That makes a big difference on living suggestions..

Old 10-17-2009, 08:17 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psukardi View Post
Hey everyone, first time poster first time member and all that junk.

I'm relocating to the Fairfax area in about a month due to a transfer at work and I need to find a place to live. Hopefully someone can provide a bit of insight of where to look , where to avoid , etc.

I'm 25 , single ,no pets , no kids , just me. I'm looking to spend around $1150-$1200 a month + utilities for an unfurnished apartment.

Since I know nothing really of the area I dunno where the more happenin spots are. I've heard that maybe Alexandria might be an area to consider, but I'll be the first to admit I'm totally ignorant on the subject.

Anyone have any suggestions? And I'm currently in Northern California so I can't really take a drive down and check stuff out

Thanks
When you say "the Fairfax area" do you mean the City of Fairfax? Or Fairfax County? If it's the latter, then you'll need to be more specific as that covers a lot of land.

The most popular area for twentysomethings would be the neighborhoods of Clarendon and Ballston in Arlington. However at your budget, you would be able to share one of the nicer 2BR apts - with change to spare! - but you probably wouldn't find a 1BR right there for $1200.

Old Town Alexandria is popular too, albeit more with active people 30 and up as well as 20somethings who prefer a relatively laid-back night out.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-17-2009 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 PM

318 posts, read 467,200 times
What town will you be working in? "Fairfax Area" is kinda vague. Alexandria is happenin, but not exactly next door to Fairfax. If was wanted to live IN Fairfax, at an apartment, I'd suggest the Archstone community there - we stayed there for a while when we came in from Europe - nice place, nice amenities and I think you can afford a 1 BR there.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,065 times
I agree. "fairfax area" is a bit vague. but um... $1150-$1200 is wayyy too little for rent. It's going to be a HUGE stretch to find something that low here in Fairfax country. Alexandria or Vienna would be a fun place for you. It's city-ish and thriving with young business professionals. I live in springfield. anything around here like burke, annandale, fairfax, is wayy to suburban for a young guy like you. You'd probably die of boredom here

Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,482 times
I will be working in the city of Fairfax.

And the reason I said the range of $1150-$1200 is that's around what I'm paying now and I've just been the type of person to save money away and what not. You know, live within your means - nest egg - all that crap.

I could realistically spend around $1350 to $1400 a month on rent. However, from what I'm gathering that still might be out of the range?

And yes, I'm trying to not die of Boredom. If I'm stuck in Suburbia I'll wind up losing whats left of my mind and never getting out of the house.

Oh and for the record, I currently drive roughly an hour to work each way so a bit of a commute isn't going to bother me

Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psukardi View Post
I will be working in the city of Fairfax.

And the reason I said the range of $1150-$1200 is that's around what I'm paying now and I've just been the type of person to save money away and what not. You know, live within your means - nest egg - all that crap.

I could realistically spend around $1350 to $1400 a month on rent. However, from what I'm gathering that still might be out of the range?

And yes, I'm trying to not die of Boredom. If I'm stuck in Suburbia I'll wind up losing whats left of my mind and never getting out of the house.

Oh and for the record, I currently drive roughly an hour to work each way so a bit of a commute isn't going to bother me
Thanks for the clarification. You could look into the downtown Fairfax area itself or the nearby apts around George Mason University. A little closer to DC and Arlington, you could also look into Falls Church. A little further out, you could look at places near Reston's Town Center.

Generally speaking, your range will get you a decent if not luxurious apartment. You are right that bumping it up to $1300-1400 would open up more options for you. The Arlington "hot spots" would be even more $ though; sharing space with a roommate is not unusual there.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM

8 posts, read 21,742 times
Thanks a lot for your input.

I'm guessing downtown Fairfax will be my best option. I'll be looking a bit on online apartment reviews I guess , unless anyone knows first hand of a great place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia