Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
There's a new place in Ashburn that a lot of my neighbors have been raving about - Ford's Fish Shack. It's by the Ice House, in the strip behind the Shell - in the corner spot that used to be Village Grill (and before that, Beef O'Brady's). Their menu doesn't seem to be online yet but some of the dishes people have liked include lobster roll, crabcakes, fried lobster, pecan crusted trout, mussels with chorizo, clams, cod, calamari, blueberry pie. The prices have been reported as reasonable (but not cheap).
Well, we went ahead and tried this place out last night since it's within walking distance from our house.

It's definitely a keeper for the neighborhood. Their menu is mostly fish and seafood (as the name implies), but they've got a few burgers and a bacon-wrapped hot dog on the menu as well.

The corn bread that they give you before the meal is incredible - it's served nice and warm, whole kernels of corn inside, and is slightly sweet; they serve it with a flavored butter that tastes like maple syrup is mixed in that melts into the bread. The cornbread tasted amazing and was the best part of the meal, which was good all-around.

Entrees were very good as well. We got the crab cake sandwich and the fish sandwich. The crab cakes had a lot of crab in them with a nice remoulade on top. The fish was a fish-n-chips style fried cod, it was cooked very well - light and flaky inside with very good flavor; we ordered fries and sweet potato fries with our meal. We would've tried a few more appetizers or desserts, but we were stuffed afterwards.

Their sandwich entrees were around $9-15, and main entrees were $15-20. The entrees we saw at other tables looked very good as well. The inside was mostly typical bar decor - wooden tables, chair and bar area. It was a tad pricey for a typical neighborhood joint, but the food tasted very good and was worth the price

We'd recommend it and will be going back to try a few of their other dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Thanks for your review! That cornbread sounds wonderful!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
You missed your calling as a food critic. You made everything sound so tasty, and I don't even eat fish or crab cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Well, we went ahead and tried this place out last night since it's within walking distance from our house.

It's definitely a keeper for the neighborhood. Their menu is mostly fish and seafood (as the name implies), but they've got a few burgers and a bacon-wrapped hot dog on the menu as well.

The corn bread that they give you before the meal is incredible - it's served nice and warm, whole kernels of corn inside, and is slightly sweet; they serve it with a flavored butter that tastes like maple syrup is mixed in that melts into the bread. The cornbread tasted amazing and was the best part of the meal, which was good all-around.

Entrees were very good as well. We got the crab cake sandwich and the fish sandwich. The crab cakes had a lot of crab in them with a nice remoulade on top. The fish was a fish-n-chips style fried cod, it was cooked very well - light and flaky inside with very good flavor; we ordered fries and sweet potato fries with our meal. We would've tried a few more appetizers or desserts, but we were stuffed afterwards.

Their sandwich entrees were around $9-15, and main entrees were $15-20. The entrees we saw at other tables looked very good as well. The inside was mostly typical bar decor - wooden tables, chair and bar area. It was a tad pricey for a typical neighborhood joint, but the food tasted very good and was worth the price

We'd recommend it and will be going back to try a few of their other dishes.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Well Gohokies, after your glowing review we decided to check out Ford's Fish Shack. I must say it lived up to your review. We had the angry mussels, the pecan encrusted trout, and the swordfish. The mussels were outstanding, and this was also a fun dish to share. The swordfish was very tender, with a citrus sauce that was delicious.

My dh said the trout was very tender and tasty, but he was less than thrilled with the side dishes (beans and macaroni & cheese). The beans were tender and nicely prepared, but he would have preferred asparagus. The mac & cheese was an intriguing idea but to be honest a potato dish would have been better.

The corn bread was indeed top notch but skimpy. The server asked us if we wanted more and I should have said yes. The maple butter was very good, too.

Service was excellent. Our waitor was very helpful and attentive, and we didnt have to wait for anything.

Overall, I'd say the food was quite good. The ambiance was so so. And, I give them an A+ for service. This is great for a neighborhood place, but I wouldn't drive out of my way to eat there. OTOH, if you're in the area I'd definitely recommend it.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:40 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
You missed your calling as a food critic. You made everything sound so tasty, and I don't even eat fish or crab cakes!
Haha, thanks! That's my wife's dream job actually, she'd love to be a food critic someday.

I always tell her we should start a blog or something about the places we go. Heaven only knows how much money we blow on eating out at fancy places and local joints....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well Gohokies, after your glowing review we decided to check out Ford's Fish Shack. I must say it lived up to your review. We had the angry mussels, the pecan encrusted trout, and the swordfish. The mussels were outstanding, and this was also a fun dish to share. The swordfish was very tender, with a citrus sauce that was delicious.

My dh said the trout was very tender and tasty, but he was less than thrilled with the side dishes (beans and macaroni & cheese). The beans were tender and nicely prepared, but he would have preferred asparagus. The mac & cheese was an intriguing idea but to be honest a potato dish would have been better.

The corn bread was indeed top notch but skimpy. The server asked us if we wanted more and I should have said yes. The maple butter was very good, too.

Service was excellent. Our waitor was very helpful and attentive, and we didnt have to wait for anything.

Overall, I'd say the food was quite good. The ambiance was so so. And, I give them an A+ for service. This is great for a neighborhood place, but I wouldn't drive out of my way to eat there. OTOH, if you're in the area I'd definitely recommend it.
I think that's definitely a good way of putting it - I wouldn't go out of my way for it if I wasn't living in the area, but definitely worth it for a local place for those nearby. We don't have a ton of decent sit-down restaurants in Ashburn, so it's nice to have something for a change that's not a chain restaurant.

And yes, I was surprised that you only get one piece of cornbread per person, but we just asked them for more and they kept it coming as long as we asked for it.

The Angry Mussels dish is one that we were hoping to try next time, so we'll definitely have to give it a try now!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
The Angry Mussels dish is one that we were hoping to try next time, so we'll definitely have to give it a try now!
Why are the mussels angry?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Why are the mussels angry?
They keep putting them next to the crab cakes and nobody wants to be around a crab.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Hallelujah... after a year of searching, finally a good Mexican restaurant in western Loudoun! wahoo! Just went to Los Tios Mexican Grill, located below Fireworks Pizza in Market Station, Leesburg and it was SO Good!! Fresh, lots of fresh chips and yummy spicy salsa. I had a taco salad with grilled chicken and ate every last bite. The kids and hubby had enchiladas which were awesome. Very good, good service, nice atmosphere. LOVE. Only complaint is no kids meal, but my kids split an adult dinner and they even put it on separate plates with their own servings of rice and beans. Cost us $45 before tip. Not bad!

http://lostiosgrilllsb.vpweb.com/default.html (broken link)

Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Oh my! I just discovered that restaurant too! I was there on Friday night. I liked it a lot. DH was out of town so I want to go back with him. Very interesting menu too, with more than the usual Tex Mex. The black beans and rice were very good too.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
OK, you guys are making me hungry for Mexcian food. I might just have to try this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia