Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
LOL!

That would have a catastrophic effect on Jay Matthews's useless Challenge Index for the schools.
True. Have to look good in those rating that pop up in the magazines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Y

It'll be interesting come November. Vienna is generally a very liberal area which would imply pro-Deeds, but seems like all the women on this blog who who don't work supposedly because of their family or to help mankind by giving their job to the less fortunate have beliefs that align with McDonnell when it comes to that subject.

What a funny dilemma.
Boy, you are bitter. Welcome to my Ignore list

Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The only thing that's funny is that you start a thread obviously for the purpose of trolling, and then work yourself up even more when people respond.
AMEN!

I always love to hear what people think about education cuts, when they don't even work in the schools!!! This thread is just a lot of hot air.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:41 PM

715 posts, read 2,085,945 times
Quote:
The only thing that's funny is that you start a thread obviously for the purpose of trolling, and then work yourself up even more when people respond.

Schools are generally slated for renovations based on their age; that's why McLean and Madison (both built in the 1950s) were renovated within the past decade and Marshall (built in the 1960s) is slated for renovation now. It has nothing to do with whether it's an IB or AP school. When the planning for the renovations at McLean HS started, it had a lower enrollment than Marshall has now.

In any event, look at a map next time before you start talking about redistricting options. No one from Pimmit Hills who attends Westgate is ever going to Madison or Stuart or Herndon. The kids from that neighborhood will go to Marshall or McLean; it's that simple. And, if Marshall were closed - which it won't be - it's the kids from the more affluent neighborhoods who attend Westbriar, Wolftrap and Vienna, not Westgate, who would be sent to Madison, and that most definitely would not increase the diversity of Madison.

Stick to what you know - which seems to be a few things about PG County politics and not much else.
Sorry, but I don't create the news. I just post the latest news for discussion here.

If I'm the troll for doing that, then you are the troll who bites each and every time (hook, line, and sinker) by responding, unfortunately with incorrect information. I'm actually feeding the troll.

It was silly to say how McLean residents wouldn't be too thrilled about adding diversity to McLean HS with Marshall students, but then it was proven that Madison was even less diverse. Vienna (Madison) residents would be even less "thrilled" to get Marshall's students either.

When perusing real estate listings, you can tell from the onset which Vienna homes are probably Marshall HS because the school triangle is "no information." Each and every home that is in the Madison boundary is noted up front. Not surprising.

You wish you had a crystal ball where you could predict where the lines will be drawn, but you don't. That's almost as ludicrous as trying to predict a "trend" that Marshall's SAT scores are going up while Madison's are going down. I guess that theory was proven flat wrong for 2008-09.

Stick to what you know....that would mean fewer posts and less incorrect information.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Boy, you are bitter. Welcome to my Ignore list
Boy, you are confused. Welcome to my ignore list.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
AMEN!

I always love to hear what people think about education cuts, when they don't even work in the schools!!! This thread is just a lot of hot air.
And this post proves it.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't create the news. I just post the latest news for discussion here.

If I'm the troll for doing that, then you are the troll who bites each and every time (hook, line, and sinker) by responding, unfortunately with incorrect information. I'm actually feeding the troll.
No - I've corrected your inaccuracies in this thread and many others. You clearly haven't lived in NoVa very long and don't know the area or its residents as well as you pretend to.

Quote:
It was silly to say how McLean residents wouldn't be too thrilled about adding diversity to McLean HS with Marshall students, but then it was proven that Madison was even less diverse. Vienna (Madison) residents would be even less "thrilled" to get Marshall's students either.
It's really a function of which students would be redistricted to which schools if - as you implicitly argue - Marshall should not be renovated but instead closed. I find it hard to believe that the Madison community wouldn't welcome their Vienna neighbors who currently attend the same elementary and middle schools as their own children, and actually live in similar if not more expensive neighborhoods, but perhaps you know Vienna better than I do. On the other hand, given the hostile attitudes that you display, I'm not sure the Pimmit Hills children (who live in a West Falls Church neighborhood that is almost as close to McLean as it is to Marshall) would receive a similar welcome if they were rezoned to McLean some day.

Quote:
When perusing real estate listings, you can tell from the onset which Vienna homes are probably Marshall HS because the school triangle is "no information." Each and every home that is in the Madison boundary is noted up front. Not surprising.
The only times I've seen "no school information" listed in Vienna real estate listings was for some "Madison Island" listings, after that area was redistricted from Madison to South Lakes in 2008, and in some listings for brand new homes in Maymont, which is a neighborhood of $1.4M+ homes in the Marshall district near Route 7. In general, it is never a good idea to omit school information in real estate listings. I think you're making this stuff up, which is what you generally start to do after your prior posts are inevitably shown to be inaccurate.

You might want to get in touch with the listing agents for these recently listed properties and make sure they delete the school information to validate your ridiculous hypothesis:

http://franklymls.com/FX7180047

http://franklymls.com/FX7181994

http://franklymls.com/FX7134404

http://franklymls.com/FX7050481

And here's how Sekas is promoting his current development of $1.5M+ homes in Vienna/Marshall district: "INTRODUCING THISTLE RIDGE, VIENNAS BREATHTAKING NEW HOME COMMUNITY. SEKAS HOMES OFFERS 9 STUNNING HOMES ON ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL CUL DE SAC ACRE LOTS. 3 ARE PRE-SOLD, 6 OPPORTUNITIES REMAIN. GREAT SCHOOLS, LOCATION,FLOORPLANS, AND CUSTOMIZING OPTIONS. CALL FOR MORE INFO OR TO MEET WALK LOTS. THIS IS TRULY A "BLUE MOON" OPPORTUNITY! DELIVERY WINTER 2010"

Quote:
You wish you had a crystal ball where you could predict where the lines will be drawn, but you don't. That's almost as ludicrous as trying to predict a "trend" that Marshall's SAT scores are going up while Madison's are going down. I guess that theory was proven flat wrong for 2008-09.
No, I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know with total certainty that some of the redistricting scenarios you suggested might occur will never happen.

As to trends in SAT scores, I pointed out last year that Madison's scores had gone down three years in a row, while Marshall's had gone up three years in a row. I also said repeatedly that it was likely that, since test scores bounce around, this trend (and three years does make a trend) would surely reverse itself eventually. I wasn't proved "flat wrong," but correct, this fall. I congratulate the Madison community for that achievement, just as I've mentioned McLean's high US News & World Report ranking in other posts. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's encouraging that Marshall, with considerably more lower-income and ESL students than schools like Madison or Woodson, had higher SATs than Madison in 2008 and as many National Merit Semi-Finalists this fall as Woodson. It tells me that parents, administrators and teachers at Marshall have been doing something right.

Last edited by JD984; 10-18-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
No - I've corrected your inaccuracies in this thread and many others. You clearly haven't lived in NoVa very long and don't know the area or its residents very well.

It's really a function of which students would be redistricted to which schools if - as you implicitly argue - Marshall should not be renovated but instead closed. I find it hard to believe that the Madison community wouldn't welcome their Vienna neighbors who currently attend the same elementary and middle schools as their own children, and actually live in similar if not more expensive neighborhoods, but perhaps you know Vienna better than I do.

The only times I've seen "no school information" listed in Vienna real estate listings was for the Madison Island listings, after that area was redistricted from Madison to South Lakes in 2008, and in some listings for brand new homes in Maymont, which is a neighborhood of $1.4M+ homes in the Marshall district near Route 7. I think you're making this stuff up, which is what you generally start to do after your prior posts are inevitably shown to be inaccurate.

No, I don't have a crystal ball, but I do know with total certainty that some of the redistricting scenarios you suggested might occur will never happen.

As to trends in SAT scores, I pointed out last year that Madison's scores had gone down three years in a row, while Marshall's had gone up three years in a row. I also said repeatedly that it was likely that, since test scores bounce around, this trend (and three years does make a trend) would surely reverse itself eventually. I wasn't proved "flat wrong," but correct this fall. That doesn't change the fact that it's encouraging that Marshall, with considerably more lower-income and ESL students than schools like Madison or Woodson, had higher SATs than Madison in 2008 and as many National Merit Semi-Finalists this fall as Woodson. It tells me that parents, administrators and teachers at Marshall have been doing something right.
Not going to feed the selective memory troll.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
I say gone will be full day kindergarten, head start, free summer school, and free lunches.

The school lunch program was created by federal law. As a result, eligibility rules are determined at the federal, not local level. Head Start is likewise a national program.

Free summer school and full day kindergarten would theoretically be on the chopping block. However, I doubt very much either one will be cut by much and think it more likely that these programs will not be cut at all.

Politicians have sacred cows. Education is one of them, especially in Fairfax.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
I still don't get Head Start. I know about preschool, and it's not even necessary. It may not even make a difference at all in learning past the initial months of real school. Why do taxpayers have to pay for this?
It's been known for ages that the educational component of Head Start doesnt work. When improvement in scores is seen, the effect does not last. This is known as "fade out."

You ask why taxpayers have to pay for this. The answer is so that liberals can feel virtuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia