Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 AM

257 posts, read 565,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
Again, the jobs are not in the same category. Like apples to oranges. I think that if your kid or mom was the one who forgot to check the ID and got fired, you would certainly feel differently and not so quick judge. Its hardly "all relative" to compare a pilot to a clerk at Giant!
Yeah, and it's far, far from given that selling alcohol to a minor will cause a drunk driving accident. We sell alcohol to adults all day long, and that doesn't happen, don't we?

I'm in the camp that says "no big deal." And I never figured out why we called 20-year-old adults "minors."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What a waste of police resources!

The best way to get kids to do something we don't want them to do is to make a big deal out of forbidding it.

Europeans are much more laid back about alcohol and don't have near the problem with underage drinking that we do...
I'm not sure where in Europe you are speaking of, but I know from friends from England and Scotland that underage/college age drinking is a HUGE problem there and they tend to think their kids are safer going to college in the US. Not sure that making a big deal out of it is the solution, but it is far less socially acceptable in the US for teens to be drinking.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 AM

261 posts, read 1,300,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Giant employees are still unionized...so $15 an hour is quite possible. .
Well the survey sites show wages averaging $7.87 an hour with highs in the $9s.

Not that it really matters in the scheme of things since this thread has become less about the specifics of this case (not that any of us know more than the basics about it anyway) and more about posturing.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferprestia View Post
Well the survey sites show wages averaging $7.87 an hour with highs in the $9s.
Being a cashier is no longer the cush job it used to be. The unionized cashiers took some huge cuts over the last couple of years -- there were some pretty good strikes in California about five years ago.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have to agree with you on the ABC stores taking over the sale of alcohol...
Why stop there?

Minors are purchasing cigarettes- let's make sure they can only get them at a state store.

Minors are making decongestant into meth- only the government should be able to sell it.

Minors drink too much soda and eat too many fatty foods- Let's make the ABC store an ABCF store and stop fat people from destroying themselves.

The problem with nanny-statism is that once the ball gets rolling, it's hard to stop.

(As an aside, the whole putting-the-decongestant-behind-the-counter is a perfect example of what happens when government acts like your mother. Did anyone stop using crystal meth? Probably not, but it sure as hell made it harder for me to buy my allergy medicine. I LOVE being treated like a criminal just for stocking up on decongestant.)

Trust me, I come from the "you can't buy alcohol without the government holding your hand" state, Pennsylvania. Kids always find ways to get it. People still drink and drive. All the extra laws do is make it less convenient and more expensive for law-abiding adults to buy the alcohol they want.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:13 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
I grew up in PA and I can tell you from experience that I was still easily able to get liquor and beer. Heck, I even got served many times at the State Store when I was underage. So I really don't think having the government involved makes that much of a difference.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Why stop there?

Minors are purchasing cigarettes- let's make sure they can only get them at a state store.

Minors are making decongestant into meth- only the government should be able to sell it.

Minors drink too much soda and eat too many fatty foods- Let's make the ABC store an ABCF store and stop fat people from destroying themselves.

The problem with nanny-statism is that once the ball gets rolling, it's hard to stop.

(As an aside, the whole putting-the-decongestant-behind-the-counter is a perfect example of what happens when government acts like your mother. Did anyone stop using crystal meth? Probably not, but it sure as hell made it harder for me to buy my allergy medicine. I LOVE being treated like a criminal just for stocking up on decongestant.)

Trust me, I come from the "you can't buy alcohol without the government holding your hand" state, Pennsylvania. Kids always find ways to get it. People still drink and drive. All the extra laws do is make it less convenient and more expensive for law-abiding adults to buy the alcohol they want.
I am not really understanding your points...the laws are what they are and no matter how much you want them to be different they aren't. If you want them to change then I suggest you run for public office and try to make the change you deem necessary...until then, if you sell alcohol to a minor it is against the law...plain and simple...

Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I grew up in PA and I can tell you from experience that I was still easily able to get liquor and beer. Heck, I even got served many times at the State Store when I was underage. So I really don't think having the government involved makes that much of a difference.
The ABC store nearest my apartment is staffed by a bunch of foreigners. That's cool and all, but I always scratch my head in amusement, because I wonder what makes them any better/different than the neighborhood Giant cashier.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
The ABC store nearest my apartment is staffed by a bunch of foreigners. That's cool and all, but I always scratch my head in amusement, because I wonder what makes them any better/different than the neighborhood Giant cashier.
Just because they are foreigners does not make them less responsible or capable than the Giant clerk...

Old 10-20-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Just because they are foreigners does not make them less responsible or capable than the Giant clerk...
Yeah... which goes back to the bigger question -- who cares who owns the store from which one purchases their alcohol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia