U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 24,604 times
Question Moving To Fredricksburg, Leeland Station, Heritage Hills, Lee's Park

Moving In 4 Weeks. Need Your Opinion On Leeland Station, Heritage Hills, Lee's Park And Fredricksburg Area. Want A Nice Family Community. My Commute Will Be To Fort Belvoir. My Other Concern Is That One Child Will Be Going To A Middle School (8th Grade) And Two Others To Elementary. Please Help... I Really Appreciate Your Advice And Opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-08-2007, 06:52 PM

734 posts, read 2,553,059 times
ummm...

what about your last thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...e-leeland.html

Unread 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,650,412 times
As much as I love Spotsylvania, the commute north is bad. When we moved here, my agent told us that for every mile north of Fredericksburg, the same house would increase in price $1000. In 2003, that was true. I no longer believe that is true. The homes in Spotsy. have pretty much equalized with those in Stafford. If you can find a home you like in Leeland Station, that would be the route to go. I cannot speak much on the schools, so you'll have to depend on others for that. Now, as to Spotsy., of the ones you mentioned I would warn you against Heritage Hills, primarily because Bragg Road, the main road leading into that development and the large shopping area of Central Park, is about to be expanded. The survey stakes are up and I so feel for the people that are about to lose a large part of their front yard. Lee's Parke is a nice development that is in the booming area of Massaponax. The interchange with 95 however does present a lot of problems during rush hour; currently they are working on rectifying that, but what they do will be just a band-aid. The other draw-back to Lee's Parke (in my opinion) is that there is a 4-lane parkway that runs through the development connecting Route 1 with Smith Station Road and Leavell's Road (both also about to be widened/improved with funds from the bond referendum). If you are looking for a new home, I would encourage you to look at Breckenridge (www.breckenridgeva.com) (broken link), which is a planned community with sidewalks and pools. For resales you might want to look at Salem Fields (www.salemfieldscommunity.com) and Fox Point (both planned communities with pools - SF has sidewalks). Also, I would be wary about picking a home for a specific school. The County is currently talking about redistricting the elementary schools because of the new one planned off of Massaponax Church Road. Quite a bit of students will be pulled from others to alleve overcrowding. Let me know if you would like any other recommendations.

Unread 05-08-2007, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 24,604 times
Thank you so much for all the information you provided. It really was helpful and you know a lot more about the long range plans than I do. I will check on Breckenridge, Salem Fields and Fox Point for location as far as location and which one is close to I95. Also, do you know anything about Kingswood? Thanks again.

Unread 05-09-2007, 01:18 AM

59 posts, read 192,074 times
Let me second ONEVTHOKI s advice, it is excellent.

Breckenridge is the closest to 95.

Kingswood is a nice development on Harrison Road. You would turn left out of your subdivision ( Harrison Rd. is pretty busy at times) , travel to Rt.1 ,turn left at light ( can be backed up at times ), travel south on Rt.1 through a few traffic lights to get to 95. A pretty short distance - dont let directions concern you !

My vote would be Leeland Station though......

Unread 05-09-2007, 04:28 AM

734 posts, read 2,553,059 times
Salem Fields would be nice, exept the way it is divided up... there's one subdivision of all the same houses, then another of another type... I personally think it looks horrible. One area will be all ramblers with no basement, that all look the same, and then an area of small collonials that all look the same, and then another with large collonials that look the same, then townhouses that look the same, and then those villa's... well, you get the idea.

Salem Fields is probably the best value, BUT that is because of what I had just said. With like 100 homes that are all the same right next to eachother, it's easy to get a price war going between all of the ones wanting to sell. You can basically go down the list, and pick the cheapest one, because for the most part, the houses are the same. This helps you when you're buying, but I'd hate to try to sell a home in there.

Unread 05-09-2007, 12:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,650,412 times
Candleroma - You asked about Kingswood. As much as I hear that Kingswood is lovely, I am not sure I would buy in there. Harrison Road is about to be expanded (again, the funds coming from the bond referendum) and a back connector is going to be built that will provide access from the Spotsylvania Towne Center to Harrison Road. The one bright spot is I think a stoplight will be placed at the Kingswood entrance, so that might make it better, even though the road will be wider. The other new development I forgot to mention is Idlewilde, which is in the city of Fredericksburg right off of 95. If you are looking for close access, that is going to be your best bet, however you will have higher city taxes. And another development for resales is Lee's Hill. As to Salem Fields, Eric is right. For the most part, the homes are cookie cutter, so when it comes to selling you have to do little things (Corian counters, ceramic tile floors, extending the hardwood, etc.) to differentiate your home from the very same home down the street. There are approximately 1200 homes in Salem Fields (a mix of SFH, TH, and villas) and about 50 are on the market, which is about 4%. Not bad considering. And there are definitely good deals in there. Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Unread 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,984,655 times
I will only say this once...Don't FORGET your commute.
I seriously suggest that you stay down there and commute for a few week BEFORE you commit to buying a place It may be only 25 miles but I-95 is the WORST commuting freeway around. Alos check with those that actually ride the VRE from Fredericksburg, I have heard it can be very unrealiable. That 90minute commute will get real old after 1 year.

GOOD luck.

Unread 05-10-2007, 07:26 PM

268 posts, read 1,148,715 times
That is probably the second worst commute up 95. The worst being going all the way into DC. There are so many places closer to Belvoir. I know housing is cheaper there, but I'd rather have a small house or townhouse near Belvoir than that commute from Fredericksburg just to have a larger home. Kingstowne for example is only a few miles from Belvoir. There's also Mt. Vernon. That commute from Fredericksburg is more than 25 miles. It's 25 miles from Triangle to Fredericksburg. I just drove to Fredericksburg this past Friday. That commute is easily 90 minutes during rush hour and some days 2+ hours. Quality of life is more important to me than size of a house. VRE consistently runs late out of Fredericksburg and during high heat the commute is longer because the trains have to slow down because of the risk of problems with the rails. That happens a lot in the summer. Winter weather also can affect the schedule.

Unread 05-12-2007, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,965 times
If working in Fredericksburg...where would you suggest to live to avoid the 400k house nightmare...rural 250 to 300k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia